Grow genius mono silica

NightmaresOnWax

I would be very interested how this matches up to something like Powersi for example 

i want it to be true.....I consider silicon essential in my toolbox and a stable, non toxic, mono silicic acid product would be a god send. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

That acid is going in anyway, as I need that to bring the final nutrient pH to my target with IN nutes I'm using.... it's not additional. I'm just adding it first instead of last to keep the solution pH always below 8.

I understand u now....I never have any precipitation problems in neat water.....just once the nutes are in and you try to use the bloody stuff it will react with earnest.

i still believe ur approach is extremely sensible tho when initially using potassium silicate to make up feed and I will encompass it in mixing .....ty 

:skin_up:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 9:57 PM, NightmaresOnWax said:

@catweazle1 they claim that issue has been solved by there "new ethanol based technology" loads more info here https://www.grow-genius.com/about-silicon they do have a link to a "peer review study" but only took a glance at it so not sure about credibility someone more in the know would have to confirm 

@UKsFinest i use to use the pm silica years ago its good but wasn't massively keen it has a pretty high amount of potassium which is a bit of a bummer and doesn't use mono-silica which is suppose to be superior 

Have a read about alternative silicas here from a chemist. There is no experimental evidence to suggest they are actually more bioavailable than potassium silicate, though on paper they might be. All I know so far is that silicon in all its forms is a FPITA. :) I've found a way that works for me with potassium silicate and I'll pursue that for now. 

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/is-ortho-silicic-acid-worth-the-additional-expense-in-hydroponics.html

Regarding your link: Silicon physically strengthens plants and this is correct. The rest feels like sales talk as far as I can see.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Have a read about alternative silicas here from a chemist. There is no experimental evidence to suggest they are actually more bioavailable than potassium silicate, though on paper they might be. All I know so far is that silicon in all its forms is a FPITA. :) I've found a way that works for me with potassium silicate and I'll pursue that for now. 

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/is-ortho-silicic-acid-worth-the-additional-expense-in-hydroponics.html

Regarding your link: Silicon physically strengthens plants and this is correct. The rest feels like sales talk as far as I can see.

Great little read...this coupled with manixbotanics is why I’m sceptical of stabilised expensive silicon products.

• Like 2

I'm using a sample of aptus regulator at the moment, appears to be a similar product. I used Potsil for ages and do think it lead to stronger stems. But I don't think it did much for yield, or disease (over otherwise healthy plants), though ascertaining it was the silicon responsible was difficult due to the potassium content. This stuff would at least be good for testing.

• Like 3

@catweazle1  cheers for the info was definitely a good read, i definitely have more bearings with silica now going to get myself a bottle of buddhas silicon for now and keep and eye out for any new ch-OSA research 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've been using it and am happy with the results i've seen with it so far. It doesn't affect the colour, pH or EC of my feed whatsoever which I had read can be an issue with potassium silicate, which is why I chose to bite the bullet and give GG a go in the first place.

This video has a great amount of information about the product if you're interested Link

• Like 1

I use it currently. Always used ionic silicon (potassium silicates) before but got swayyed towards the silicic acid by a mills rep who told me the ionic was dogshit. The mills stuff is called vitalize and is a greeney colour, same price as grow genius and same reviews and is also mono silicic. I swapped to the buddah trees silicic acid and had good results. I think buddahs say there's is nano silicic but it isn't mono silicic. Have done lots of reading and its down to the size of the molecules but more importantly the chain of molecules, both vitalize and grow genius uses it in monomer form not polymer. I think its down to the nature that weed is grown, short grows, the potassium silicates aren't bio available as quickly as the other forms. The grow genius is also a once a week application compared to the daily application of the other silicas so the cost does work out the same.  Im going to stick with it for the time being based purely on all the reading and technical information I've read about the mono silicic type of silicon additives. Also the silica acts a driving force and a carrier for all the other nutrients so the better the silica the better the uptake and the better the crop will be. Ive never done a side by side trial and always change strains,  plus as the seasons change, so does my grow setup so I cant truly compare the results its given me to other products

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Gonna bump this thread as my knowledge has increased a little.

I don't see how the buddha's tree is cheaper.

GG is still cheapest and best in class atm.

• Like 1

@zen-ken I use BT and it's £45/l. It will do 4000L. How does that compare? It has little effect on pH and ec. It's basically liquified sand particles.

Solar Solar Green Power is an aqueous colloidal dispersion of 10% amorphous silica (SiO 2 ). - BT blurb

Edited by catweazle1

The GG works out at 3333 ltrs for around the same price...but its not SiO2 and has a SDS.

The Dune I have yet to be convinced is any better (yet lol  )

On 19/10/2020 at 11:39 PM, catweazle1 said:

I've found a way that works for me with potassium silicate

Im adding 2ml in 20L of RO water simply because my RO water comes out too acidic and i need some sort of buffer before my nutes go in and the pH drops even more.
0.2ml of 8% PS per Litre of RO water seem to be enough for the nutrient line i am using. Not sure how beneficial that is to the plant. 

@DreamCatcher You can't measure pH of pure water, it has to have an excess of ions in it and they are in shifting balance. You need to put the minerals back and harden it up first. 0.4-0.6ec will be ok.

E2A carbon dioxide dissolves from the air and acidifies the pure water.

pH electrodes will NOT give accurate pH values in distilled or deionized water because distilled and deionized water do not have enough ions present for the electrode to function properly. The readings will drift and be essentially meaningless. If you want to test the accuracy of your pH electrodes, use pH buffers. -Vernier

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

@catweazle1  After mixing my 20L of RO water with Nutes the pH drops all the way down to 3.8-4 because of lack of bicarbonates, adding 2ml potassium silicate brings that up to 5.5, which then drifts all the way to 6.5 before i intervene again. But thats in veg.
Ill be stopping Si in flower as it gives no benefit other than heavier plant matter (not resin).

Edited by DreamCatcher