First ever wilma grow

Matthew420

Ive always been jnder the impression that halc of the background ec are 'available salts'

So to get 1.2ec youd aim for 1.4ec

Then adjust your ph

If your still adament on pebbles i would set up and leave running 24/7 with no plants in asap and monitor.

Good luck

• Like 2

On 20/09/2020 at 8:50 PM, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Ive always been jnder the impression that halc of the background ec are 'available salts'

So to get 1.2ec youd aim for 1.4ec

Then adjust your ph

If your still adament on pebbles i would set up and leave running 24/7 with no plants in asap and monitor.

Good luck

Hi mate thanks for replying ok, have read multiple different answers lol some say subtract background ec other say ignore it . From what tour saying roughly subtract half of the background 

• 3 weeks later...

My first two grows was in Wilma systems then I tried hand watering coco due to having to put the 10pot Wilma in bigger tent for height reasons and the 4 pot x-l Wilma would not fit in my smaller tent. 

I can’t say a bad word about Wilma systems, I use clay pebbles or clay balls, just make sure u wash them multiple times because no matter how well you have washed them there is still dust. I use the full ionic range of nutrients and again, have no problems what so ever. 

I do the bare minimum due to work and having a busy life. I ph the water daily and only ec when refilling the res with fresh water and nutes. Asides from that I’m confident I could leave it for 1 week through veg, but come half way through flower I’m refilling the res 2/3 time’s per week. The girls can really drink towards the end. 

I don’t use a drip ring. I don’t have a cooler, I do have a water heater but I’ve never used it once. But I do have a small air stone in the res.

Nutes wise I prefer to feed too little instead off too much, it’s easier to throw a bit of extra nutes in if they look hungry rather than draining the tank and refilling when you notice your plants are over fed. 

Honestly the best advice I can give a beginner is to just wing it. Don’t worry about every small detail until you get the hang of it. They are a weed at the end of the day and in my opinion unless you get pests or something it’s pretty hard to fuck it up completely.

If your environments dialled in, and your not over feeding etc then your pretty much guaranteed a result of some sort. 

Wish you the best of luck buddy. No better feeling than sitting smoking your own bud after your first ever grow lol 

• Like 3

Oh forgot to say, I start seeds off in paper towel method in my hot press. 

Soak cubes in a bucket with ph’d water around 5.8 and a small bit of ionic formulex. 

Then transplant into 1” rock wool cubes, pop them into a prop under light, spray them multiple times a day and the lid of prop, they like high humidity at that stage. Once roots are showing (usually 3/4 days max) I then pop them into the bigger cubes  (think they are 3” or 4”?) and again keep them misted until roots are showing again, then pop them straight into the Wilma system and away you go. Then you will see rapid growth after the first 2 or 3 days. I mean RAPID growth especially compared to soil. Make sure you have plenty of height as my smaller tent I have to switch to 12/12 as soon as they go into the Wilma system or they grow too close to the light!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So thats me set up the wilma had some issues with the nutrient solution getting it right. Any help would be great.

got ionic nutes ,bio silicone,liquid oxygen cal mag. 

my nutrient stick copy of a truncheon reads less than 0.4 (meter starts at 0.4)background ec of water have tested with a tds meter before and sure it was like 0.2 at most. Aiming for a ec og 0.6/0.7 for my young plants was told this would be about right.

7ml/litre qouted on ionic grow is putting ec way high. For me i had to go about 1.75/2ml/litre. Once added silicon and oxygen my ph is away up at 9 normal water is between 7.5/8ph. 

can someone tell me if there is a calculator of sorts or is it purely add small amount until desired level is reached .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pebbles mate i had them ordered and thought i would give then a go. Rinsed them fairly well still getting some dust in res. Any idea why ph is rising overnight from 5.5-6.2 . Ec of 0.8 ec stays stAble. Ph is rising every night not sure what causing it

Edited by Matthew420

On 11/11/2020 at 6:23 PM, stu sleeper 20vt said:

@Matthew420 what substrate have you gone with?

Hoping you went coco lol

Pebbles mate i had them ordered and thought i would give then a go. Rinsed them fairly well still getting some dust in res. Any idea why ph is rising overnight from 5.5-6.2 . Ec of 0.8 ec stays stAble. Ph is rising every night not sure what causing it

How big are uour plants?

Can you put a pic up?

The dust will have an impact on your ph mate hence why we say wash wash and double wash those damn pebbles lol

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 0:37 PM, stu sleeper 20vt said:

How big are uour plants?

Can you put a pic up?

The dust will have an impact on your ph mate hence why we say wash wash and double wash those damn pebbles lol

Yeah i thought i had they just dont seem to clean lol. They were rinised 5/6 times. Next time i will look to soak them overnight in ph 5.5 water after a few more rinses . Plant are recovering upped the feed level and a bit of calmag the plant are starting to darken up now. Think i was possibly feeding low will just need to continue adjusting ph for this one

• Like 1

Keep us updated buddy, enjoyed this thread and all the posts collect my Wilma system tomorrow and have found a ton of useful tips here 

thanks 

@Matthew420I use wilma system with clay pebbles. I start my plants in small rockwool cubes or root riot cubes-these are better and keep them in propagator. Once roots start growing through them cubes I place them in a small net pots filled with pebbles and still keep them in a propagator. I hand water them through that period of time. I grow i cycles with a separate veg tent and when that tent is free of older plants I put them small net pots in a final pots-I use 12l fabric pots filled with pebbles. In a veg tent I start to water feed them 3 times per day in 15 minute intervals (thats how my timers work) and then might change it to 4 or 5 times per day depending of how plants look like. After a harvest in a flo tent I just move young plants there.