First ever wilma grow

Matthew420

9 hours ago, Matthew420 said:

Im mot looking at rwdc mate as the need for a chiller in summer and heater in winter would be to much. 

You need a chiller full stop. That’s hydroponics. Water temps over 21 create the possibility of pitherin. Unless you growing out doors (shed type) you will never need a heater. Happy growing bro. Wilma is a solid system:bong:

Edited by Dirk-diggler-planttickler

13 hours ago, Dirk-diggler-planttickler said:

You need a chiller full stop. That’s hydroponics. Water temps over 21 create the possibility of pitherin. Unless you growing out doors (shed type) you will never need a heater. Happy growing bro. Wilma is a solid system:bong:

Chiller required for a wilma you mean mate? 

Edited by Matthew420
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Dirk-Diggler said:

I use a 4 pot Wilma with 70 ltr res.

I start seeds off in root-riot cubes then after about a week move into the Wilma.

I use clay pebbles which need to be rinsed first. I also use Advanced Nutrients so I dont need to worry about the PH but it should be the same for any hyrdo 5.8-6.2 I think.

I usually set the timer for 15 mins once a day for the first week then step that up gradually to 4 feeds x 15 mins per day.

There is also a water heater in the res set for 19C and I have to circulation pumps that come on every hour to make sure the res doesn't settle too much.

It is a pretty simple setup and I can leave it easily for 5 days without looking at it if needed.

Hope this helps

Yeah mate great help. Would i be better putting 2 flood drippers in each pot and upgrading to a bigger pump? Im worries the 1 blue dripper wont cover all the clay pebbles uneven watering? Thanks

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

Chiller required for a wilma you mean mate? 

Yes mate all hydroponic systems require a chiller especially during summer months. It’s because you have a tank of nutrients just sitting their so temperatures can lead to bad shit for your plants. I would also invest in a air pump and stone to keep the tank oxygenated and stop nutrients settling on the bottom also think about nutriguard it helps protect your system. It’s a liquid you put in your system.  And I agree with other dirk lol one feeder per pot is more then fine. You can set up feeds as often as you like so no stress on under watering. Just jab the feeding wand in the rock wool and there’s always a little stored in the rock wool then.:bong:

7 hours ago, Dirk-diggler-planttickler said:

Yes mate all hydroponic systems require a chiller especially during summer months. It’s because you have a tank of nutrients just sitting their so temperatures can lead to bad shit for your plants. I would also invest in a air pump and stone to keep the tank oxygenated and stop nutrients settling on the bottom also think about nutriguard it helps protect your system. It’s a liquid you put in your system.  And I agree with other dirk lol one feeder per pot is more then fine. You can set up feeds as often as you like so no stress on under watering. Just jab the feeding wand in the rock wool and there’s always a little stored in the rock wool then.:bong:

Alright no one has previously mentioned a chiller being required for a wilma as i thought this only mattered if roots where sitting in the nutrient solution? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirk-Diggler said:

@Matthew420 I only use one dripper per pot

No problem mate was jus worrier that the spray would not cover all the pebbles as it only comes out in 2 directions? Do you use a chiller mate? Didnt think a wilma required one? 

34 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

Alright no one has previously mentioned a chiller being required for a wilma as i thought this only mattered if roots where sitting in the nutrient solution? 

Chiller is for all hydroponics that has a tank Reservoir. It’s all about controlling water temp that hits the root zone. In soil you have a buffer, the soil itself protects the root zone from too high temperatures. Now having said all this for like 3 grows on my Wilma 4 pot I didn’t know any of this and only on the last of the 3 did I get root rot ( pitherin) so it’s your call use hydroguard with your tank and you might be fine for a grow to give you time to save. Sorry I m not trying to be the bad news guy honest.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dirk-diggler-planttickler said:

Chiller is for all hydroponics that has a tank Reservoir. It’s all about controlling water temp that hits the root zone. In soil you have a buffer, the soil itself protects the root zone from too high temperatures. Now having said all this for like 3 grows on my Wilma 4 pot I didn’t know any of this and only on the last of the 3 did I get root rot ( pitherin) so it’s your call use hydroguard with your tank and you might be fine for a grow to give you time to save. Sorry I m not trying to be the bad news guy honest.

No problem nate my tent temps are never above 25 so im assuming the res will always be below due to being shaded and next to 2 passive intakes. I was told to go wilma as i was looking at dwc but didnt want to run a chiller all year round . So much conflicitng info out there

• Like 1

You dont need a chiller mate...

Ghats the problem with forums...everyones got their own method/opinion lol

Its nearlly winter so you might be better getting a fishtank heater set to 20'c!!

Wash those pebbles and wash them again(and again!)

I use coco in a wilmer but my mate uses pebbles.

He has the fast dripper o  2 x 15 mins a day when first potting and after a week builds up.

By early flower he leaves his on 24/7

See...get some coco its a more well trod path!

• Like 3

Thanks guys. The room is pretty stable heat wise drops to about 18/19 at coldest and goes to 25 unless its a proper hot and in scotland its never really that hot. Ok mate. Hopefully one dripper is enough to give the whole pot a watering. I have lots of them from a homemade system years back. So worst comes to worst i can add a t piece and put two in the pot. Do any you guys use ionic nutrients trying to get a ec chart to show general ec for stages of growth

1 hour ago, Matthew420 said:

No problem nate my tent temps are never above 25 so im assuming the res will always be below due to being shaded and next to 2 passive intakes. I was told to go wilma as i was looking at dwc but didnt want to run a chiller all year round . So much conflicitng info out there

Yeh their can be some bs. I myself ran a Wilma with just the bare minimum for ages before I started upgrading. Now I m on rdwc. Just keep an eye on the water temp if you lucky then it will never climb above 21. Apart from that enjoy the grow. Use grow diaries imo it helps you keep track of your grow much easier. Happy growing dude :yinyang:

Thanks mate. Yeah thats a good idea. Want to get away from soil so time to take the plunge bit nervous with all the ph testing and ec readings but . Got myself some essential meters on the way . Will a root riot cube be enough to hold the plant noticed most people saying 4 inch rockwool in diaries would like to stay away from that if possible

Yeah you can go straight in with a root riot but a 4 inch gives a bit of protection incase the pebbles dry quicker than expected between waterings

With ionic coco feeds i used to fuck about checking everything but now i just wack it in at 7ml a litre and from ph7 it puts me bob on 5.8 @1.4ec

With pebbles youll have to watch em a bit closer  as it recirculates more than coco.but as long as you rinse them THOROUGHLY theyll be fine

• Like 2