First ever wilma grow

Matthew420

Hi guys done a few grows in soil but watering is becoming an issue as i can be away a few days at a time. Getting a wilma and have decided on clay pebbles. Few questions 

how do you start a seed in clay pebbles? Rockwool ? Root riot cubes? Or something else?

next question heard good things about ionic nutrients so have decided on them can i use silver bullets with this?

How often should i set feed timer 

Whats ideal ph and ec for this system 

thanks in advance guys dont want to muck it up .

• Like 1

Id use root roits as Rockwool can become manky and mouldy? Plus you ain't got that shit on your fingers or in your room. Nasty shit that stuff 

• Like 1

Just now, Smokey90 said:

Id use root roits as Rockwool can become manky and mouldy? Plus you ain't got that shit on your fingers or in your room. Nasty shit that stuff 

Thanks mate daft question but is that one dripper enough to sock the whole pot? Can imagine it only comes out in 2 directions so would leave some areas dry?

No idea mate I always used aqua farms  with canna clay pebbles and was doin gpw and then got root rot so read up on that as silver bullet didn't fix mine. That shit takes over quicker than bud rot

Any experienced growers in wilma can you guys help out thanks. Want to get this right or give myself the best chance and info out there can be conflicting

Get some coco mate,clay pebbles are a right pain in the arse to get right and youd need to get some rings instead if the single point drippers to be successfull.

Get some canna coco +

Some ionic coco veg and ionic coco bloom 

You will never look back i swear.

If you go thiz route giz a shout and ill chat ya through yer first one.

• Like 2

my mate used Wilma's for years always used coco. after trying other methods with out great success. always used ionic nutes and a ten pot 6L wilma system and was getting about 2 oz a plant under a 600w light always start his cuttings off in rockwool. as stu above said rings are ideal in bigger pots but i found the dripper system ok for the smaller 6L pots but used to move the dripper spike further away from the stem as the plant was growing. for the roots to spared its only what i saw my buddy doing but above you probably get better advice but good luck i wish you all the very best. ferret ps dont forget air stones for the pump

Edited by the ferret

Any ideas where i will get rings? Was thinking of adding a second dripper into each pot. Was looking at clay pebbles as we find it hard to remove large quantities of soil/coco. Also overwatering was an issue previously and i thought the clay pebbles may help with this. I am not always here and have someone who checks in for me. 

ok i m no pro but i had a wilma 4 pot when i first started, 3 inch rockwall with jiffy cubes to start the seeds off in then transplant them to the 3 inch cubes whe you filling the 11l tubs up for your wilma make sure to rince them clay pebbles like 5 times, wilma has a shitty habit of letting any clay pebble dust sit in the bottom of the resovour tank and it can frack with ya ph later. its a solid starter system for branching into hydroponics but you will soon get pissed of with the amount of clay pebbles you have to wash each grow. take a look at urban deep water culture . com they 4 a sweet 4 pot rdwc system. 

I use a 4 pot Wilma with 70 ltr res.

I start seeds off in root-riot cubes then after about a week move into the Wilma.

I use clay pebbles which need to be rinsed first. I also use Advanced Nutrients so I dont need to worry about the PH but it should be the same for any hyrdo 5.8-6.2 I think.

I usually set the timer for 15 mins once a day for the first week then step that up gradually to 4 feeds x 15 mins per day.

There is also a water heater in the res set for 19C and I have to circulation pumps that come on every hour to make sure the res doesn't settle too much.

It is a pretty simple setup and I can leave it easily for 5 days without looking at it if needed.

Hope this helps

• Like 2