Tiny might vape

TheplantUK

Hi, I ordered direct from the TinyMight website, this was in Mid November and it arrived a month later, just in time for Xmas :)

I ordered an extra cooling unit and spare glass tubes as I know being a clumsy bugger I'd break the tubes. Happily I haven't, jinxed myself now. So I have used it extensively over the past couple of months and really like it. There are a few quirks in that I had a bugger of a job putting the top O ring and cap back on.

I have arthritis and my hands are fooked, so pressing down the O ring and turning the top cap had me well frustrated as the cap ring would only screw in a quarter turn. I solved this by rubbing pencil lead on the threads and screwing it on and off with no O ring, I also heated the O ring on the radiator to make it more pliable and then screwed the O ring and cap on. I could then get it turn 3/4's which stopped the top popping off. Using it and having it get hot has helped and I can get a full turn on the cap now. If you tighten it down too much though, you can't push the glass mouthpiece down it, or if you do get it to go down you can't pull the tube back out.

Other TM users may not have had an issue with theirs; I only struggled as I can't grip things properly and don't have the strength I used to. I solved this problem by cutting up a couple of strips of anti slip matting and using that to grip the glass tube to pull it out. The TM does have other little quirks (some people may call then 'cons'), the brushed metal finish is a bit soft and is easy to scratch. 

The led light leaks at the base (poor finish / fitting), I think this in some ways is an asset. The amount of times I could have knocked the TM off the computer desk in the dimly lit office room if it had not been for the fact that I could see it glowing / flashing, from the base. You can see exactly where it is, blink, blink. The TM is said to be a bit fragile, because of the way the heating element is built, so you want to avoid drops if you can. So my view, light leak, for me is a Pro rather than a con. 

The packaging and accessories were all delivered safely, no damage, so another plus. Also had positive communication with TM via email so no issues there.  

The unit its self is well made and nice looking in a retro, rustic way. The wood finish is good, nice and smooth, and fits nicely in the hand. The cooler unit works really well, the heating selector dial is thumbnail tight so it's easy to turn up or down. Cleaning is a doddle, gently push the cooler unit out from the screw side NOT the mesh side. Take off the O rings and rinse in warm soapy water, I put them on a cocktail stick and wash them on that so I don't loose them. I then put the cooler unit and glass tube in iso. (Don't leave the O rings in iso it will degrade them, if you do rinse the O ring with iso, rinse it again in warm soapy water, and final rinse in clean water).

Most importantly she vapes really well, buttery smooth, that really does bring out the flavours, the 'on demand' feature is brilliant and works really well. Would I buy one again if this was lost. Absolutely, this is my second dry herb vape, my first was the XMax Starry 3, so I have been spoilt really. But I would certainly buy another one.  

• Like 5

One thing to be careful of is that you don't accidentally push the lower screen into the heater element. 

It can happen if a bit of bud is left in and you compress it down popping the screen out. It's pretty dramatic as it will short. Mine welded to the element! Was like a hot bong rip. Not nice. User error but inherently a risk of this design. Worked fine after though. No damage.

Fit and finish comes across as hand made, yeah, but that's part of its charm. I don't mind the light leak. Think it's cool. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Fit and finish comes across as hand made, yeah, but that's part of its charm. I don't mind the light leak. Think it's cool. 

That's how I see it too, it's a beautiful device.

I find that keeping it clean affects performance more than other vapes I've used, but it's pretty quick and simple to rinse out the mouthpiece with hot water to remove loose bits, or a quick dump in iso for a deeper clean.

• Like 2

good to hear those who own the vape have good words to say , also about the service. The one thing that has been a game changer for me in how easy to use has been the addition of the Jack Pods (thanks to whoever discovered them!) , or similar baskets. Means i can fill a several in one go, and have to clean it much less often. And the make it dead easy to reload :)   @Dr Krepituz might be useful for you from what you mention above. 

• Like 3

@Lean Bear Hi now that's interesting I'll have a look out for them, where did you get them from?

I have just taken mine apart just to check the lower screen and metal tube to see if it needed cleaning (lt's been a month since I took her apart) and there was nothing to clean only a couple of small bits to brush off, the lower screen which does a good job a catching any bits of herb that drop out.

I had a bit of a faff resetting the O ring, I had to slacken the cap rig slightly to get the mouth piece tube back in, as I had it to tight. The 1st attempt the tube would not slide down, the 2nd attempt I backed the cap rig off slightly but I saw I had dislodged the O ring.  So took the cap off reset the ring and the 3rd time I got it right, happy bunny.

The cleaning did have me worried initially as I could not get the bloody tube in and out, but as it's got hot it seems to have 'bedded in' and this is not an issue. Using a piece of the anti slip matting, is also good not only for grip but also when you are 'changing out the hot barrel' as the glass can get pretty toasty.

Oh I forgot you have to lavish it with love......I mean organic bees-wax, every week, to show how much you care.....I mean, stopping the wood from drying out too much and of course because you care:hippy:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I received my Jack Pods today and what a difference they make!

My TinyMight hadn't been in use due to two major niggles: the constant need to clean for good performance and flavour, and the need to stir for even extraction. I don't mind stirring if the bowl is exposed (like Flowerpot) but having to invert, pull out the glass tube and empty the contents into my hand to stir properly is enough to make me stop using a vape (looking at you, Splinter Z). 

The Jack Pod's loading 'tool' is janky compared to the Storz & Bickel experience but does the job, managed to fit about 0.25g per pod with slight tamping. I got about 6 really good hits, starting on setting 7 and pushing it up to 9.5. Only on the last hit did I get any bitter roasted flavour. Tipped out the AVB and joy to the world - totally even and dark :yep: 

They really transform the experience of the vape for me and it shall be back in regular use, replacing my Dynavap for breakfast and work. Haven't got through enough pods to see if I can get away with a weekly clean of the cooling unit, but so far so good. I'd forgotten just how good the flavour is on this thing - puts the Flowerpot to shame in that department. 

I believe it was @stickyblack that showed the way with the Jack Pods, kudos :) 

• Like 7

@purepotstill I'm at work at the moment so can't take a photo of mine.

Here's the Jack Pods and the filling tool they come with:

large.fill-it-10-tool-incl-10-jack-pods.jpg

Using the Tinymight for a few days both with and without the pods Ive noticed they do have some impact on vapour production, flavour and draw resistance. I have to set the temp a bit higher than normal too. Dunno if was just psychological, but the capsule experience was starting to bug me. Should've given it a few days of A/B-ing before leaving such positive report lol 

There's some variation with the pods: most are quite a tight fit in my stem and don't pop out freely making them not quite as convenient as I'd like. I also bought a Jack Pod stash tube that came with 4 thicker pods with threaded lids - these don't fit in at all. What's more, a mate bought the thinner ones and none of the pods fit all the way in to the stem. After some research it seems that there's variance with the glass Tinymight stems too, the ID on his is smaller than mine. There's a ridge round the base of lids of the pods, if you remove this with fine grit they fit in but still don't slide out easily.

Tinymight have started selling official all-mesh dosing capsules on their website but they're pricey at £3.90 a pop. Looks like the mesh design will improve performance too. Gonna have to try them of course, if they slide in and out easy I'm happy :naughty:  

large.6058c1dd086f1_Dosingcapsule-228x228.jpg

:yinyang: 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

My Tinymight was slightly losing power a couple of weeks ago so I took the top plate off, wiped the contact points with iso and put a foil shim under the metal strip contact to the top plate. Holy shit. 

I didn't think I'd really done anything much, but when I took a hit at my usual 6 I nearly coughed up a lung it was so big. I thought it was powerful before, but fuck me this had me flying! 

I was using a torx bit in my drill to open it up, but was worried about stripping the threads so I bought a torx screwdriver. That came yesterday so I gave the screw a bit of a tweak, maybe an 8th of a turn at most. Holy shit, it happened again! Even more power! 

The heater was buzzing like mad when I fired it up and a little go on setting 5 had me seeing stars.

I keep falling in love with this device!

Just a heads up for a real simple tweak if anyone thinks that their unit is slightly underperforming. 

• Like 7
On 22/03/2021 at 5:33 PM, SYZYGY said:

@purepotstill:

Tinymight have started selling official all-mesh dosing capsules on their website but they're pricey at £3.90 a pop. Looks like the mesh design will improve performance too. Gonna have to try them of course, if they slide in and out easy I'm happy :naughty:  

large.6058c1dd086f1_Dosingcapsule-228x228.jpg

:yinyang: 

@SYZYGY hey, thanks for the update on the JP... Have you any thoughts on the official pods? I want to get some spare o rings so might get a pod or two....

I'm loving my TM. I like setting 4! Occasionally crank it up to 6 but no more for me, lightweight I must be....

Really impressed with the flavour and hit. It's like a flowerpot in the pocket.

• Like 2

Yeah, I tried the jackpods. Quickly concluded they are shit. I have modded my stem with a stainless steel collar machined to fit, keeps it much cooler.

large.20210331_195009.jpglarge.20210331_194728.jpg

Does a few things, sets the stem depth and prevents the glass touching the gauze which improves convection and reduces risk of gauze shorting the heater. Performance and flavour is much improved as is consistency of colour. I find around 2-3 mm off the gauze about right.

Also reduces risk of damage to the glass stem, acts as a very effective heatsink indeed, and feels nicer.

It's 22mm OD stainless pipe, ID machined to about 15.8mm and then heated, slipped over the stem and then it fits tight as it cools. Have to be very precise about it or you'll crack the stem. I've prettied it with an agate line guide from a fishing reel spares pile and a bit of milliput, also to improve comfort.

• Like 8
42 minutes ago, M Pamplemousse said:

@FarmerPalmersNT

So I can buy me subbies seeds here. When can I buy one of these.

Beautiful job!

Yeah, not sure I want to go into production to be fair! :D Thanks though!

• Like 2