Dripper system

Rufus Brown

Nice one @Danco for all that info and for taking the time to explain. 
I’m off work today so I’m up here now having a look. 
I’ve already got the pump and I don’t think it’s strong enough for them pressure drippers. 
Is there a reason you’ve used end caps instead of creating a loop? 
What are the benefits of making them rings? Is it to do with pressure or build up?

Heres the bits I’ve got.. It’s all 25mm they sent me and everyone on here is mentioning 13mm. Will it make a difference?

large.94FB4890-A4F1-4210-90DB-97FE152A9812.jpeg

I’ve 4 of them drip manifolds. Are they better or worse than nipples?

Theres an anti-siphon valve and a non return valve. Where do these get put?

Edited by The_Ibex

3 hours ago, The_Ibex said:

(B) just one ring

This one! As @Danco has touched upon (and I'll get back around to it) using the ring does away with the need for pressure compensators or a specific psi for operation.

(C) has a 25mm ice line running all the way around

Don't do this unless your pump is really mighty, fatter pipe means more psi which means a bigger pump, 16mm down to 6mm line really builds the pressure and flowrate up.

Also, is the anti-siphon valve do the same job as the 6mm run off pipe? Like this?

Yep exactly the same just 16mm fittings instead of 16 to 6mm, I think it has like a diaphram in it as well?

2 hours ago, Danco said:

However the sales person forgot to mention that they are pressure regulated and only work at a pressure of one bar and none of the pumps that the shop sell can create that much pressure on the systems that have more than say 8-12 pots as aqua pumps are flow rated not pressure.

This was the problem that led to the building of the drip ring, after not having much luck with flow rate using just a 16mm line with a stop end and nipples I tried the pressure compensators. The biggest pump available at that time was the aquaking (Q4003? it might've been a different model I can't remember) that used to come in the IWS pro systems, but much like you discovered it didn't generate enough pressure and ontop of that the sound it used to make when it kicked off was horrendous it would wake me up in the middle of the night - I had to suspend it from a cane across the top of the tank so it wasn't touching anything and rattling the whole house down. I've got a section on the write up about pressure compensated drippers as well as pumps, as you can imagine the more I go into it the more in detail I get and the bigger the task becomes.

It was a lad I used to work with about 8 or 9 years ago that showed me how to build the drip ring, which is just a bastardized IWS dripper assembly lol he explained that it'd always give even flow rate because the drip ring fills and pressurizes before pushing water down the drip lines. I've used it ever since, whats not broke don't fix it and that, it scales up and down lovely just  needing a bigger pump the more trays you add.

• Like 7

Cheers @GSZZ I’m beginning to get my head around it.
My pump is the aquaking q2007 (3600l/h). Shall I change the ice line to a smaller 13mm. It’s 25mm and my drip line is 4mm. Seems a big difference. Thanks

Edited by The_Ibex

Cheers @GSZZ I’m beginning to get my head around it.
My pump is the aquaking q2007 (3600l/h). Shall I change the ice line to a smaller 13mm. It’s 25mm and my drip line is 4mm. Seems a big difference. Thanks

1 hour ago, The_Ibex said:

I’ve just ordered all 13mm stuff. Half the 25mm stuff was missing anyway and there wasn’t enough pipe to start with 

You did well to order the 13mm/16mm (inner outer innit?) stuff, especially with that pump!

4 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

You did well to order the 13mm/16mm (inner outer innit?) stuff, especially with that pump!

Is the pump too powerful for 13mm? I bought a complete drip and drain kit 2 months ago and that’s the pump they sent me. Shoul I have stuck with 25mm pipe and fittings what they sent?

Edited by The_Ibex

1 minute ago, The_Ibex said:

Is the pump too powerful for 13mm? Shoul I have stuck with 25mm what they sent?

No! That pump will be great with the 13mm, you did the right thing by sacking the 25mm stuff. If you have all the fittings you could use the 25mm pipe for the drainage system as this will allow it to drain quicker, but as for the delivery system you've done the right thing by buying the 13mm stuff.

@GSZZ I’ve had the Medusa running with 25mm. It’s mint mate thanks. Saved me loads of back ache work and I’m still in veg. Can’t wait to set the drippers up now and chill a bit more.  Appreciate all your help dude :v: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_Ibex said:

@Danco the exact same ones mate. All the same problems you had plus a lot more. I’ve still got missing items. It’s a good job I don't live too close to them :furious:

I won’t be using them again. Fucking useless

@The_Ibex took me 6 journeys at 1 hour each way to get the system sorted mate. Everything from giving me the wrong pipe then not the correct fittings to the wrong number of pots and wrong base trays. every time was an excuse or i was wrong mate never them. I will never order from them again put it that way. a

As for the system im a firm believer you get what you pay for since my friend just brought the 12 pot alien rain system and managed to set the whole thing up in his tent in 2 hours! cost him an arm and a leg but came within 3 days and every thing was as described and so easy to install and the quality of the system is levels above the medussa. 

Here is a picture of the system set up in  3m x 2m tent and it only takes up 2\3 of the tent!

large.IMG_9780.jpeg

It doesn't show it in the picture but i connected the end of each feed line at the back of the tent so that it was one continuous loop mate. A @GSZZ stated the rings help pressurise and create even flow which is a massive issue with these systems as all the suppliers simply give you the bare minimum. However with my system set up how i have it now i have had no need to use the rings and have managed to get even flow to all 15 pots which has saved me a little building time. 

In regards to the 25mm fittings and pipe you have I had the opposite issue and was given way to much 13mm and hardy any 25mm.  I tested the system with that first and managed to get it sorted so stuck with it. I will get some pictures of it tonight for you to reference so you have a  few options to choose from or even test and make your own decision. 

As with everything its preference and which style you think would suit your setup and area. I chose not to use the 8 way manifolds as i hate the clutter and new that when I had a full tent it would be a nightmare stepping between everything to get to the plants etc. the drippers make it so much neater and do the same job as well as keeping each pots drippers located to each try meaning any leaks simply drip into the baseline tray as a safety precaution.

• Like 1

@Danco your mates done a mint job with his alien set up. 
I think I know what I’m doing now up to a point. Once the 13mm fittings turn up I’ll set it up and put some pics on here. Cheers for all the help mate 
Here’s my 13 girls at the mo. 12 Jungle Boys zkittlez cake and a disco biscuit

large.2FAE6815-E124-4BD1-A681-009D0A56D47B.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The_Ibex said:

@Danco your mates done a mint job with his alien set up. 
I think I know what I’m doing now up to a point. Once the 13mm fittings turn up I’ll set it up and put some pics on here. Cheers for all the help mate 
Here’s my 13 girls at the mo. 12 Jungle Boys zkittlez cake and a disco biscuit

large.2FAE6815-E124-4BD1-A681-009D0A56D47B.jpeg

Looking good mate, I was thinking about ordering some jungle boyz seeds next and doing a pheno hunt on them. Be interesting to see how yours do! definitely keep posting :bong:

large.1A9BCC1F-F5DC-4999-9217-67B111A13912.jpeglarge.EDE96FC2-6A52-4EB9-A91C-F09D24009CFB.jpeg

So I’ve built the ring with 12 drippers coming off it. I’ve been testing it out all day today and there’s no leaks which is a good thing. 
The only trouble is the actual drippers. They’re only releasing 2l/h of water.
 My plants are taking 2.5l every feed at the moment hand watering. Seems very very slow to me if I put the drippers in or am I seeing it wrong? 
Am I using the right ones or is there a faster dripper I can use. My pots or 8.5l

@GSZZ @Danco 

Edited by The_Ibex
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Ibex said:

So I’ve built the ring with 12 drippers coming off it. I’ve been testing it out all day today and there’s no leaks which is a good thing. 
The only trouble is the actual drippers. They’re only releasing 2l/h of water.
 My plants are taking 2.5l every feed at the moment hand watering. Seems very very slow to me if I put the drippers in or am I seeing it wrong? 
Am I using the right ones or is there a faster dripper I can use. My pots or 8.5l

@GSZZ @Danco 

You've got two options, go to your nearest grow shop and ask for "blue flood stake drippers" and if they don't know what you're on about go and try another shop as that one isn't worth its salt.

Or you can get more of those 2l/h drippers, add more lines and double or triple up the amount in your pots. Add 2 drippers its 2l every 30 minutes, add 3 drippers and that goes up to 3L every 30 minutes etc.

Personally I like the blue flood stake drippers, one in the centre of the pot with enough clearage with hit opposing sides of the medium in the pot. I would recommend (if you haven't already got one) to get a 16mm flow control tap so that if the blue flood stake drippers are squirting out too fast, you can slow the flow down with the tap.

• Like 8