Iso 99.98 Is it safe?

Siffo

99% iso should not contain benzene, but it still isn't something anybody should be consuming.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:49 AM, The lone stoner said:

A friend of mine who is a bit flakey but quite scientifically minded assures me that iso is not safe to use for anything that will be consumed as it contains benzene that cannot be removed.

Benzene has nearly the same boiling point as IPA.  It's not going to be consumed because any solvent will have evaporated and if you should light it with any solvent residue in it will catch fire. :) I've found nothing to suggest there is a pathway for benzene to be produced in the process. If it did contain biologically significant benzene it would be listed and wouldn't be allowed to be used as a topical disinfectant where it is used widely in antibacterial wipes..

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

I have 5L of 99.8% Ethanol.

I have read that hexane is now used rather than benzene.

Either way I don't wish to consume 10ml of either of them.

Activated charcoal is supposed to be able to remove the benzene, not sure about hexane.

As I understand it benzene is used in the distillation process because it has a similar boiling point to ethanol and so helps to remove the water therefore achieving higher than 95% abv.

I am wondering whether after running a 4L batch of extract through an airstill and assuming the 0.2% benzene distills off with the bulk of the ethanol would adding say cheap vodka and doing 1 maybe 2 more runs would leave fairly pure rso at the end of the process.

I assume its a similar tale with ISO.

It's actually not important. 

The 0.2% fraction is just water. 

You can't make ethanol anhydrous.  All ethanol no matter which grade is a solution of ethanol and water. 

AFAIK.

• Like 2

i have some iso here that's 99.9% pure, not that i would, but is that safe to drink? 

not neat obviously! lol

Edited by ratdog

No defo not even thinking of drinking it.

Its to make RSO .

There is 200 % proof ethanol that is stupid money due to taxes.

I wouldn't drink that either.

--------------------------------------------------

99.8% Iso I assume is made in a similar way.

But I understand turns into formaldehyde if consumed so DO NOT DRINK it

Edited by indicaxsativa
additional comments re iso

Just now, indicaxsativa said:

But I understand turns into formaldehyde if consumed so DO NOT DRINK it

i certainly wouldn't any way, i hate spirits but i remember danzig adding alcohol to drinks for a cheaper pissed per pound, just wondered what alcohol it was.

• Like 1

Ok everyone on this thread i dont know if there is one or not but would one of you do a diary on this i assume your talking about making oil and extracts that would really help i been looking at some equipment like a steel tube with taps and valves on for gas extraction i think but it looks like you just connect a gas bottle and let the liquid drip through the buds  i know thats a bit vage but thanks guys

9 hours ago, ratdog said:

i have some iso here that's 99.9% pure, not that i would, but is that safe to drink? 

not neat obviously! lol

AA for you @ratdoglol:stoned: I would'nt put it in drink (brown bag n  bottle of meths anyone)

• Like 1

The MSDS will set you free.  Google the manufacturer, the product name and then MSDS.  It lists material composition. 

Logically, (I'm not a scientist) if you're concerned about a constituent that has the same, or similar, boiling point to alcohol, that constituent should come out of the matrix when the alcohol does, however you're achieving that. 

I suppose there's always the possibility for some sort of "atomic stiction" due to some shit with chemistry I don't understand, though.  Perhaps Benzene or whatever does some ionic nonsense and sticks to something in the oil etc.  

I would think, if this was a real concern, we'd have a bunch of dead people from consuming RSO or, at the least, cautionary tales floating about the internet. 

But again, I'm not a scientist.  

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 3

If you can find grain alcohol cheap enough then I'd rather use that personally. I was getting it cheap but I'm wondering about the companies ethics now so I might have to go back to buying the expensive stuff. 

• Like 1

"Mary Eats Peanut Butter".  Methanol, Ethanol, Propanol, and Butynol.   Propanol is the next heavier simple alkane alcohols after Ethanol and before Butynol.  

Propanol 2, aka Isopropanol, aka Isopropyl Alcohol is an isomer of the simple alkane alcohol Propanol and more pungent in smell and taste than ethanol. 

99.9% Isopropanol works for extraction and the key to how safe it is leads us to the FDA/EMA residual solvent standards, which has both ethanol and isopropanol as Class III solvents.  Here is their standard for Class III solvents:

"Solvents in Class 3 (Table 3) may be regarded as less toxic and of lower risk to human health. Class 3 includes no solvent known as a human health hazard at levels normally accepted in pharmaceuticals. However, there are no long-term toxicity or carcinogenicity studies for many of the solvents in Class 3. Available data indicate that they are less toxic in acute or short-term studies and negative in genotoxicity studies. It is considered that amounts of these residual solvents of 50 mg per day or less (corresponding to 5,000 ppm or 0.5 percent under Option 1) would be acceptable without justification. Higher amounts may also be acceptable provided they are realistic in relation to manufacturing capability and good manufacturing practice (GMP)."

In practice, you have normal senses, you can smell and taste Isopropyl Alcohol far below 10% (500 ppm) of FDA/EMA standards, so if you can't smell or taste the alcohol, it is ostensibly safe.  

Decarboxylating the concentrate at 121C/250F is one way, a heated vacuum chamber/oven is another.  There are also some recent post extraction techniques to further insure there is no residual Iso.  Here is a link:

Cannabis Home Sciences

Also a link to QWISO extraction:

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-8-isopropyl-extraction/9-4-8-1-qwiso

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 5

On 22/02/2022 at 7:12 AM, KC said:

If you can find grain alcohol cheap enough then I'd rather use that personally. I was getting it cheap but I'm wondering about the companies ethics now so I might have to go back to buying the expensive stuff. 

I think I use the same supplier as you - worried in what way? I was just about to order another 5 litres on the off chance I get to do a grow this year which currently seems unlikely