Iso 99.98 Is it safe?

Siffo

Hi I know highly flammable liquids and refining them isn't safe and can only ever be safe ish however..... 

I order my iso from the same place, order 5l food grade iso. 

My last order had food grade on the container. 

My current one says iso 99.98 I ordered food grade and receipt says food grade. 

Been on the companies site which is separate from their auction site and it says the 99.98 is purer than food grade. 

So basically can I use the 99.98 today or does it need sending back for one with food grade on the container. 

Just now, Siffo said:

Hi I know highly flammable liquids and refining them isn't safe and can only ever be safe ish however..... 

I order my iso from the same place, order 5l food grade iso. 

My last order had food grade on the container. 

My current one says iso 99.98 I ordered food grade and receipt says food grade. 

Been on the companies site which is separate from their auction site and it says the 99.98 is purer than food grade. 

So basically can I use the 99.98 today or does it need sending back for one with food grade on the container. 

If 99.98 is purer than food grade, why would you need to send it back to be replaced by a less pure version?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thatman said:

If 99.98 is purer than food grade, why would you need to send it back to be replaced by a less pure version?

To be honest mate without being a dick, I'll be making RSO for someone with liver C. 

I've got the process down and having good results. 

Think it might be a stupid question but as not a chemist but wondered if it was chemically purer but had an additive I'm about to refine. 

Again the above may sound stupid but can't put a price on peace of mind etc etc 

I'd add the links but don't think allowed, I'd ring em tomorrow just today's a good day for it weather wise by me

Edited by Siffo
  • Like 1

The 0.02% will be dry residue that remains after you have evaporated all of the ISO.

What you have is as pure as it gets, however referring to it as food grade seems unusual to me.

Make your RSO, you have clean ISO.

• Like 2

Apparently food grade iso means it can be used to sanitise equipment, not that it's safe to consume? That certainly seems like a strange way to label it...

Either way, if you are purging it properly it should be safe to consume. But if you wanted some extra peace of mind, you could use food grade ethanol instead, or dissolve the finished iso extract in ethanol and repurge. Spirytus is usually the easiest form to find. It's not cheap tho.

Edited by Bubbles Depot
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, thatman said:

Cheers for the replys have started making the oil. 

Always decided against spyritus as would be mad expensive, to start off with at least. 

Cheers for adding to extract and repurging idea,...will be less extreme price wise.

1 hour ago, Siffo said:

Cheers for the replys have started making the oil. 

Always decided against spyritus as would be mad expensive, to start off with at least. 

Cheers for adding to extract and repurging idea,...will be less extreme price wise.

Cheers for the thanks, but it wasn't me, so can't take the credit.atb:skin_up:

3 hours ago, thatman said:

Cheers for the thanks, but it wasn't me, so can't take the credit.atb:skin_up:

I don't know what happened there and that was before I decided to sample it, I have even less of an Idea now! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inspiration101 said:

The 0.02% will be dry residue that remains after you have evaporated all of the ISO.

What you have is as pure as it gets, however referring to it as food grade seems unusual to me.

Make your RSO, you have clean ISO.

It'll be 'lab grade'.

• Like 2

A friend of mine who is a bit flakey but quite scientifically minded assures me that iso is not safe to use for anything that will be consumed as it contains benzene that cannot be removed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The lone stoner said:

A friend of mine who is a bit flakey but quite scientifically minded assures me that iso is not safe to use for anything that will be consumed as it contains benzene that cannot be removed.

We've all heard this, but I think it's before evaporation. When I use ISO to clean glass, there's no streaks or residue, where is this benzene hiding after evap? 

• Like 2