Coco pure Vs 70/30 Mix

Caly

Guest icki

Dont even open the bag.Throw in bin and carry on.

There is enough health hazards around these days, with out using that shite.

Edited by icki

On 29/05/2020 at 11:12 AM, Caly said:

Thanks mate, so I'll just add 15 litres with a 50 litre bag then :) 

Yeah mate, though I agree with @icki and @golf.007 that's it's not needed with coco, infact it's not needed at all as there better substitutes out there. I used to just run 100% coco and had no issues.

Edited by ukbudz
Add more
  • Like 3

I use ecothrive coco, but the last time I ordered online I got sent their Coco light 70/30 mix, being too lazy to send it back I used it on half my plants and used my old bag of pure Coco on the other half.

I've just chopped the girls last week and there was very little difference between the 2 substrates in the way of yield, the perlite holds less water tho so took slightly less solution.

I bought the pure Coco again for this run but had enough of the light mix left to fill 2 pots, the other 7 I filled with neat.

I really don't think there's much difference to be honest.

Guest icki

Roots equal fruits, perlite just isn't needed in any regime.

Edited by icki

On 5/29/2020 at 1:52 PM, golf.007 said:

I don't see the point,If you have a rooted out plant in coco when you water/feed it the coir will hold onto those nutrients ready for the plant to take. Adding 30% perlite means less available nutrients for the plant to uptake. Coco doesn't need any help in drainage it runs straight through so there is really no point in adding perlite.  

Atb

That is totally moot when you water everyday or more... that's the point of watering: Feeding.  It doesn't run straight through the pot enough not to drown a young plant. Perlite avoids this completely. Pour it all through and forget. 

55 minutes ago, icki said:

Roots equal fruits, perlite just want needed in any regime.

So, what about gas exchange in the root zone... doesn't that matter? Is more air there not good?

• Like 1

Guest icki
8 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

That is totally moot when you water everyday or more... that's the point of watering: Feeding.  It doesn't run straight through the pot enough not to drown a young plant. Perlite avoids this completely. Pour it all through and forget. 

Id say to this ...dont over water then.Perlite is a health hazard possibly thats enough for me.

Ive had to sweep up perlite from 2 bags of that eco thrive soil I threw in my garden.

2 minutes ago, icki said:

Id say to this ...dont over water then.Perlite is a health hazard possibly thats enough for me.

Ive had to sweep up perlite from 2 bags of that eco thrive soil I threw in my garden.

Fair enough, you have other reasons that are important to you.

Edited by catweazle1

Coco emerged as a growing medium because of its drainage qualities and doesn't require adding anything to it

The fact that coco drains that well is one reason we sometimes have to water multiple times per day

In my opinion, especially when hand watering adding perlite only increase the chances of your pot drying out too quickly, especially in the warmer months

I'm not saying you cant put perlite in as that is your prerogative but its certainly not needed and is a ball ache to get rid of whereas coco is a lot easier

Owd

• Like 5

@Owderb In my thinking, the function of multiple waterings is to maintain a constant rhizosphere, and added aggregate increases the free flow of air within it. For the beginner - which is my main thinking here - it removes a variable that they need not mess up. I know there are a thousand ways to skin a cat but when you are starting out, the less things you have to control the better.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Thats OK if you are using an automated system but you dont want to be hand watering more than once a day as its a ball ache thats why I wouldn't add perlite like Ive said earlier

I grew for years in a top fed automated system but I still only used pure coco. I also tried other mediums too like seramis but once again not mixed with anything. Feeding multiple times a day gives you all the gas exchange you need. I really cant see the point myself in mixing mediums. If in an automated system then you could use just pure perlite if you wished and feed 10 times a day

Theres no right or wrong if it works for you then fine. I just like to make things simple and also think about how easy it is to dispose of afterwards

Owd 

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 3

Fair enough. Like I said, there's many ways to do things. Pick a system and stick with it until it's mastered.

• Like 4

Thanks for the discussion lads, some interesting points that I’ve taken on board. I’ve mixed my coco now and will use it on this grow, then for my second I’ll go with pure coco and compare the difference 

• Like 2

On 28/05/2020 at 5:56 PM, sharpie2017 said:

It's not just the pot! It's adding the air dome which is key here! It's proven that if you use autopots with their air domes the this can increase yeild upto 130% compared to just using regular pots! 

Plus the easy of using the whole system. And i suppose if you wanted to top feed you'd still be able to you could just alternate or something! 

I personally do like to give them the odd couple of dry days threw out cycle so they become thirsty/hungry and have never thought of top feeding when in this state so maybe it's something I'll try before putting them back on the barrel!

It’s like sex panther by odeon......they done studies you know ....60% of the time it works every time lol 

• Like 1

Yeah just to add: pure Coco for me. You have to be a little careful when potting up in big jumps (1 to 9l for example) but other than that it's pour pour pour. Just don't compact it down or let it sit in feed. 

In flower my plants get auto-fed 5-6 times a day in 9l air pots and still I get barely any run off. If I added perlite the feed would have to be on constant!

Plus, if you're digging used coco into your garden, perlite looks well dodgy. 

• Like 2