Coco pure Vs 70/30 Mix

Caly

3 hours ago, Caly said:

So if I get a 70/30 this will eliminate over watering completely? 

Yes. It just runs straight out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caly said:

I thought it was impossible to over water in coco and you could water as many times as you wanted to keep the medium saturated? 

In pure coco you have to watch overwatering until the plant has  rooted out the pot, otherwise you'll drown it. Putting in perlite or vermiculite removes that risk and you can water to your heart's content, even when the plant is small.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

In pure coco you have to watch overwatering until the plant has  rooted out the pot, otherwise you'll drown it

Not really especially if you are hand watering as you should be starting in a small pot and potting on and then there's no chance of problems and you will get a better root system 

You dont need to add anything to coco. Not even a layer of pebbles in the bottom because your pot should never be stood in water

The only time I'd put pebbles in the bottom is if they were sitting in the feed for a time like in a hydro system

Owd

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Not really especially if you are hand watering as you should be starting in a small pot and potting on and then there's no chance of problems and you will get a better root system 

You dont need to add anything to coco. Not even a layer of pebbles in the bottom because your pot should never be stood in water

The only time I'd put pebbles in the bottom is if they were sitting in the feed for a time like in a hydro system

Owd

This is true but I'm thinking of neophytes and some of them want to do autos in final pots, so watching the watering is a must if coco is pure. For noobs, adding perlite removes any risk. I'm in the perlite camp anyway for my own reasons but for noobs it's the safest thing they can do until they understand the process.

• Like 1

If you really want good results mate I'd suggest getting yourself some Autopots with the air domes that they do. Little more expensive but we'll worth the save in labour and also the root formation and yeild is over double compared to just using regular pots! Very easy a simple to maintain and is basically the best of both worlds hydro/coco. 

Lots of vids on line if you look!!! ;)

5 minutes ago, sharpie2017 said:

and yeild is over double compared to just using regular pots!

lol 

Sorry

Owd

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sharpie2017 said:

If you really want good results mate I'd suggest getting yourself some Autopots with the air domes that they do. Little more expensive but we'll worth the save in labour and also the root formation and yeild is over double compared to just using regular pots! Very easy a simple to maintain and is basically the best of both worlds hydro/coco. 

Lots of vids on line if you look!!! ;)

I went away from autopot as I would like a system that top feeds for coco, then I can still get runoff to test my EC. But I’m hand watering until final pots anyway.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Owderb said:

lol 

Sorry

Owd

He’s new brother....give him some time lollollol

wouldn’t it be lovely tho if I could turn my 40 oggles to over 80 with just a change of pot. 

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 5

On 26/05/2020 at 7:40 AM, zen-ken said:

He’s new brother....give him some time lollollol

wouldn’t it be lovely tho if I could turn my 40 oggles to over 80 with just a change of pot. 

It's not just the pot! It's adding the air dome which is key here! It's proven that if you use autopots with their air domes the this can increase yeild upto 130% compared to just using regular pots! 

Plus the easy of using the whole system. And i suppose if you wanted to top feed you'd still be able to you could just alternate or something! 

I personally do like to give them the odd couple of dry days threw out cycle so they become thirsty/hungry and have never thought of top feeding when in this state so maybe it's something I'll try before putting them back on the barrel!

Edited by sharpie2017
Spelling mistake

40 minutes ago, sharpie2017 said:

It's proven that if you use autopots with their air domes the this can increase yeild upto 130% compared to just using regular pots! 

Proven is it

Once again.... lol 

Owd

• Like 1

Hi All,

So I'm going to mix perlite with coco by hand, I'm I correct in thinking that 12.5 litres of perlite with 50 litres of canna coco is a 70/30 ratio?

Thanks

• Like 1

Easiest way mate is divide 50 by ten to find 10% then times that by 3 for your 30% which would be 15 litres. Hope this makes sense just having my first doob lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ukbudz said:

Easiest way mate is divide 50 by ten to find 10% then times that by 3 for your 30% which would be 15 litres. Hope this makes sense just having my first doob lol

Thanks mate, so I'll just add 15 litres with a 50 litre bag then :) 

• Like 2

I don't see the point,If you have a rooted out plant in coco when you water/feed it the coir will hold onto those nutrients ready for the plant to take. Adding 30% perlite means less available nutrients for the plant to uptake. Coco doesn't need any help in drainage it runs straight through so there is really no point in adding perlite.  

Atb

• Like 4