Coco pure Vs 70/30 Mix

Caly

Hi All, 

So I’m starting my grow this weekend and I’m unsure whether to grow in pure coco (pro plus) or get a coco perlite mix? 

What are the benefits of either and which is the best to use?

Thanks 

• Like 2

Pure coco imo is the best and nothing else is needed, adding perlite to the mix is just making less room in the pot for roots and fucks with the cation exchange rate.  pure coco ftw:yinyang: 

• Like 4

It's not required and you can get great results without.

But, I do think growth is a bit faster with some perlite mixed in (im using about 15%). I've played around with and without and think I get slightly better results with, but that difference isn't much, and I've not done a side by side grow so couldn't be certain.

It allows more oxygen to the roots but will require more frequent watering to keep it saturated. 

• Like 2

@golf.007 you have probably forgot more than I will ever know about coco lol.

im intrigued tho as to why the pure coco.

i hate perlite but vermiculite is a winner winner in coco ime....I found it very easy to overwater in pure coco but this was 20 odd years ago 

:hippy:

Only easy to over water if you haven't setup the root system properly. I've never had a problem over watering its why i went coco. Dirt is typical of over watering but treat coco like dirt i do before a root system is developed.

• Like 2

coco or coco mix is hard to overwater but possible,you saturate the root ball if you not fully rooted and over water,keep that in mind,always best to feel them by weight not just to look especially when they are young

if hand watering go plain coco

if using drippers go mix but 60/40 mix i would recommend

• Like 1

Only use canna Coco but they were out of stock on my last order so had to grab some bags of ecothrive Coco lite which is a 70/30 Coco to perlite .

Will let you know how I get on with it .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rufus Brown said:

Only use canna Coco but they were out of stock on my last order so had to grab some bags of ecothrive Coco lite which is a 70/30 Coco to perlite .

Will let you know how I get on with it .

i had the same problem but if you keep your EC on the low side during your grow and take of the rootball properly you can re-use your mix easily

no issues

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joba said:

coco or coco mix is hard to overwater but possible,you saturate the root ball if you not fully rooted and over water,keep that in mind,always best to feel them by weight not just to look especially when they are young

I used to put scales under each pot so I knew when it needed watering by the marks I had made on the scales,

i do miss my hand watered coco, best bud ever came from that technique but I just can’t do that anymore being disabled.

im struggling to even get in the space and trim these days hence why my grows look a little messy these days 

• Like 1

Dna coco Cork mix I liked definetely noticed better root development. I've used the coco perlite mix aswell and imo plain coco is better. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joba said:

I thought it was impossible to over water in coco and you could water as many times as you wanted to keep the medium saturated? 

• Like 1

Which do you want: more air, better gas exchange and eliminating overwatering or (supposedly) more roots? As far as cation exchange capacity goes, it is small and for the slight alkalinity just soak in ph5 acid for a day or two. I'm an outlier on this here I think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Which do you want: more air, better gas exchange and eliminating overwatering or (supposedly) more roots? As far as cation exchange capacity goes, it is small and for the slight alkalinity just soak in ph5 acid for a day or two. I'm an outlier on this here I think.

So if I get a 70/30 this will eliminate over watering completely? 

• Like 1