Dinafem garden lockdown 2020

PermanentWaves

On 23/04/2020 at 0:56 PM, PermanentWaves said:

Quick update: After a closer look, the brown spot you can see on the Bubba above was the last remnant of the seed casing, preventing the leaves from unfurling. With tweezers, I managed to carefully remove it. She is much more happy now.

large.B75C675F-7244-420C-8CDB-7ACCFECD849D.jpeg

She just took a little while to shed that shell  :yep:

Looking happy and healthy to me ;)

Thanks for the outdoor update mate  :headbang:

Stay safe out there :cheers:

All the best :bong:

Mark..

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark - probably my fault for not planting the seed deep enough, so lesson learned. Fortunately she’s made a great recovery!

• Like 1

Hi, everyone - a quick update from me.

I transferred the Gorilla Auto and White Widow Autos into their final pots this week. They’ve both been sheltering in the greenhouse this week as it’s been freezing and wet. I’ve had the fan heater on in there at night and during the day as it was so cold. Fortunately, the weather supposed to be warming up again next week so it’ll be good to get the girls outside in the sun. So here’s the first two:

large.18C17513-1C40-4506-966B-AD06FE697815.jpeg

large.FCC12BEA-09C8-4A60-888E-AE2E3B83F0F5.jpeg

I’ve used the Canna Pro Plus compost again this year. It looked terrible when I first filled the pots - full of fibre, coconut husk, etc. I don’t remember it being like that when I used it a couple of years ago, but apparently it’s supposed to be like this. It’s supposed to encourage air getting through the soil for good root structure and retain water. It definitely holds the water well as I haven’t had to water them at all since re-potting them earlier this week.

My two Kushdashian girls are doing well, especially the Bubba Auto after her traumatic start. She’s not as big as her cousin but she is a couple of days behind so expected. They’re forever pestering me to take selfies of them so they must be doing ok. The OG Kush Auto is definitely getting a stretch on now.

large.0584D25F-5F6C-4385-826B-37E9DA429089.jpeg

large.895EFFA2-8CF4-41FA-9566-39CE906E64AD.jpeg

So that’s week 2 done - cold and wet. Thank god we don’t have to worry about mould just yet! Roll on next week and bring on that spring sunshine. Take care and stay safe, everyone x

• Like 4

@PermanentWaves getting the autos into their forever homes nice and early ;)

Fingers crossed we get some nice weather during May  :yep: then the ladies can really start to put in work :)

Looking good in here  :cheers:

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all doing well and enjoying this lovely bank holiday sunshine. All four of my girls have been lapping up the sun this week, although it looks like we’ve got a brief cold snap over the next few days so they might be back in the greenhouse again.

First up is the Gorilla Auto - she’s the biggest out of the first two I planted.

large.B16DAAAF-AA5C-4EE6-937E-20A0458D1CBF.jpeg

Next up is the White Widow Auto. She’s had two yellow leaves since she was a seedling. I’ve no idea why as none of the others have. Something must have upset her early on, but it doesn’t seem to be affecting the new growth. None of these plants are being fed yet - they’re just being watered. There should be plenty of nutrients in the soil to keep them going for a little while yet.

large.9DF0202B-6D3B-4245-9E0F-CFC68774CEAD.jpeg

The OG Kush Auto is a week behind the first two, but she’s loving this sun and quickly catching up.

large.21C2491A-C75C-436E-9C01-606EC496FEFB.jpeg

And last up is the Bubba Kush Auto. She’s also a week behind the White Widow and Gorilla. Her growth was a bit stunted to start up with after being unable to shed her seed shell, but she’s made a good recovery and is doing well.

large.DEA53707-C500-4DEB-AC5C-89F571555707.jpeg

I found this little visitor sunning itself with the Bubba in the greenhouse early one morning. Wondered what is was to start off with, but realised it’s an Orange Tip with its wings folded. Good camouflage gear there!

large.C501DBD2-FB94-450F-B722-0864BF42E1C5.jpeg

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend - stay safe out there x

• Like 5

Hi, everyone. Not too much to report from the lockdown garden. I hate these extreme temperatures - freezing at night and warm during the day. Thank goodness for the greenhouse heater.

The girls have been loving the warm sun during the day and have had a growth spurt this week. The Gorilla Auto has really gone for it. She’s a lanky thing! Lots of pre-flowers now starting to appear. Can’t wait to see those fine, white pistils suddenly emerge. Pistil-watch will start in earnest over the next few weeks.

large.D8DA0AC0-F098-4730-8567-AE1793651ADA.jpeglarge.726ACCA3-2B27-4576-98CB-1B0626FA0A18.jpeg

The White Widow Auto still has an issue with yellow leaves and a bit of curling. I’m not sure whether it was an over-watering issue early on, but she’s still suffering. I’m hoping it’s not root rot. I’m leaving her to dry out to see if she makes a recovery. I think this Canna Pro soil holds the water really well and probably doesn’t need soaking as much as usual. I hope she pulls through. She hasn’t grown much height-wise over the past week. All four plants are in the same compost and have had the same watering regime and they are ok, so we’ll see how she goes.

large.13BF1CA2-4C97-48DD-B298-940132CC34EE.jpeg

Here’s the height difference between the Gorilla and White Widow...quite a difference.

large.559DB3D3-CE38-4FEC-B7A7-C0735CE0A8D1.jpeg

The OG Kush Auto is filling out nicely. She’s definitely seen some growth compared to last week. Both Kush girls are a week younger than the two above.

large.EC6009A5-6639-4842-82B2-34C57B054EFA.jpeg

And last up is the Bubba Kush Auto. She’s the runt of the group but catching up fast...

large.44306832-AB3F-4FB4-9823-F05842756994.jpeg

That’s another week ticked off. Looks to be pretty good weather-wise this week here in East Anglia so hopefully another week outside in the sun for the girls. Take care, everyone, and stay safe. X

• Like 4

On 17/05/2020 at 8:24 AM, PermanentWaves said:

. I hate these extreme temperatures

Temps have been all over the place the last few week's :(

Summers nearly here, he said with hope ;)

Considering we are very early in the season the growth is still decent  :cheers:

Thank you as always for the outdoor update :yep:

Mark.. 

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 3

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all doing well.

The garden grow lockdown ticks along. I’m currently having my first growing disaster with the poor White Widow Auto. She’s been a sickly thing almost since the start and, to really rub it in this week, a rogue slug or snail got through my defences and had a go at her. I haven’t taken a photo of her as she’s very self-conscious. I’m not giving up in her, though. She’s hardly grown, got curly, half-chomped leaves, but she’s hanging on. I could send her to the great compost bin in the sky but I’m going to try to nurse her back to some sort of health. I’ve noticed a lot of green and black aphids in her, and I’m sure they’re not helping so she’s getting a regular dousing with CannaCure and I’ve put up loads of those really sticky yellow discs that capture the bugs. You never know - I’m sure I spotted some tiny pistils on her so all fingers and toes crossed!

Back to the others, my Gorilla Auto had to be staked as she was really stretching and I had visions of her snapping in this wind. I’ve kept all the girls in the greenhouse his week as it was really windy here and pretty cold again. Thanks god it’s warming up again this week. The stake was quite a bit higher than her when I first put it in, but she’s gone past in already. And her first pistils have now appeared - huzzah!

large.4AAF89B5-0C25-4C1D-AE04-5AA1C1F63B68.jpeglarge.F78D6FA4-5C84-43DD-8A52-10C36368982B.jpeglarge.332D6E8D-86C4-4920-8FCC-99B325F8664A.jpeg

Next up is the OG Kush Auto (below). She’s just over a week younger than the Gorilla, so I’m hoping I’ll see some pistils on her within the next week or so. She’s really stretched This week as well.

large.036F4C69-4315-4A9C-8E58-2028688DE028.jpeg

And last up is the Bubba Kush Auto. She germinated the same time as the OGK but was the runt if the two. Not any more. She’s definitely caught up with her cousin.

large.E322B598-3DC4-4729-A979-B04C94F6CAB5.jpeglarge.D040867E-8A4F-437C-8D64-39EF481221F0.jpeg

I staked the OGK and Bubba today to help them with the wind. At the moment, all three are just being fed water and getting a regular dousing with the CannaCure to help with aphids. I’ll probably start with a little bit of fish mix soon - I’ll see how they get in this week. The fine weather coming up should hopefully see them getting some stretch on, and the Gorilla’s flowers should start developing. I’m glad to see the back of that wind, though- I hate it!

Anyway, hope everyone’s grows are blooming and you all have a great bank holiday. Stay safe xx

• Like 5

Loving the progress:yinyang:.

I had my girls pop March 28th, been hectic keeping them warm at night for a while. Now I'm leaving them out for their last few weeks.

I hope you have great success with yours! A greenhouse must be a treat!:thumsup:

• Like 3

@PermanentWaves apart from the sickly White Widow Auto, the other ladies ate clearly loving the outdoor life  :headbang:

Good call on getting some support structure in play  :cheers:

Nice outdoor update  :yep:

Mark..

• Like 1

Thanks, @Fishbern and @Dinafem-Mark - best investment I’ve ever made is a greenhouse heater and automatic thermostat. It saves so much hassle when the weather goes from one extreme to the other.

Anyway, I took a quick pic of the White Widow. She looks a lot worse in reality. She’s very stunted with leaves like cabbages. It’s bizarre, really, as it’s in the same soil; has had the same watering regime, been kept in the same conditions. The only difference I’ve noted is that she has attracted a lot more aphids - whether this is because she’s sickly, I don’t know.

I’m pretty sure most of you would look at her and file her under C for compost bin. But she does look a little healthier and there are definitely some pistils showing, so I’m not going to give up on her. I’ll use her as a little experiment to see if she can bounce back. It’ll be interesting to see if she recovers and produces some flower. I hate binning plants so will give the old girl a chance. I’ll be delighted if I get to sample a tiny bit of White Widow in a couple of months’ time.

large.08E9F0ED-ADED-46F6-8A41-9671B91403C3.jpeglarge.8340A352-7FAE-40E4-80BE-8FDB4F2B4B4A.jpeg

• Like 4

Happy glorious Sunday, everyone - hope you’re all well. Long may this weather continue, although I feel for anyone struggling to grow without a water source. It’s extremely dry in this part of East Anglia. I can’t remember the last time it rained.

Anyway, my girls are loving this sun and have shot up in size. I put smaller stakes in the OG Kush Auto and Bubba Kush Auto earlier this week and have had to replace them today with long cane sticks as they outgrew them in just a few days. I introduced a little bit of fish mix to their water yesterday, but that’s all they’ve had. The Gorilla Auto’s flower buds are starting to develop properly now, and there are plenty of pistils on the OGK and Bubba. 

The poor old White Widow Auto is still hanging in there and is actually showing some new growth, which looks healthy. Will she make it? She’s showing pistils so we might see some flowers developing. Here’s a line up of them all cooling down in the greenhouse last night.The Bubba is on the left; Gorilla in the middle and OGK on the right. The White Widow should be the same size as the Gorilla as they germinated at the same time. If she continues to survive, she’ll end up a squatty little thing.

large.5A8953DD-EB6D-4DB7-B640-7357D3FA49C0.jpeg

As you can see below, lots of pistils on the OGK and Bubba

large.E80A4233-3381-45FC-9364-6C34A55B8D88.jpeglarge.4DDACC4B-C96B-4C84-9F1E-888669EE2DB9.jpeg

I was hoping lockdown might continue until at least the growing season had finished, but it looks like more people are going to be about from this week so back on tenterhooks again. Hope you all have a good week and the sun stays shining. Stay safe x

• Like 4

On 31/05/2020 at 10:00 AM, PermanentWaves said:

I was hoping lockdown might continue until at least the growing season had finished, but it looks like more people are going to be about from this week so back on tenterhooks again. Hope you all have a good week and the sun stays shining

We do look to be getting back to a semi normal state :)

You outdoor growers know how to hide in plane sight so back to normal  :)

OG and Bubba look to be starting to bloom, cool :headbang:

Stay safe with the population waking back up lol

Mark..

• Like 2