First time jazz cabbage grow

UnKn0wN

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while since i have uploaded, everything seems to be going well. Here is the Northern Lights from a few weeks ago compared to her now. She popped out of the soil on the 9th May so about 6 weeks old now.large.IMG_4734.JPGlarge.IMG_4729.JPG

• Like 4

Cherry bomb which was the first plant which i tried some LST is in her 10th week and doing well. LST has dwarfed her considerably but buds seem to be developing well. Assuming she is going to be another couple weeks till harvest, pistils are starting to brown now and smelling good. Decided to not LST the Northern lights and see the difference.large.IMG_4733.JPGlarge.IMG_4731.JPGlarge.IMG_4730.JPG

• Like 5

DRYING AND CURING QUERY

Hey all hope you are well. 

Have flushed the first lady for about a week and a half now, coming into harvest, just had a query about drying and curing in which i hope some of you more experienced growers could lend a hand with.

Have got some mason jars already but they are the rubber sealed ones and have read these perhaps aren't the best for sealing and curing? Has anyone ever had any problem with this, is it really worth spending the extra money just to have a screw lid?

Also, as far as drying, I'm going to have to dry in the shed, with this wet,damp weather at the moment I'm pretty worried about the high humidity, have a fan which will be in there as well, have read about people using a cardboard box to help reduce moisture as well. Is this as simple as laying the buds on the cardboard box or having them hanging within the cardboard box? Don't want to lose all my first grow to mould at the last hurdle. 

Many thanks dudes and dudettes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnKn0wN said:

DRYING AND CURING QUERY

Hey all hope you are well. 

Have flushed the first lady for about a week and a half now, coming into harvest, just had a query about drying and curing in which i hope some of you more experienced growers could lend a hand with.

Have got some mason jars already but they are the rubber sealed ones and have read these perhaps aren't the best for sealing and curing? Has anyone ever had any problem with this, is it really worth spending the extra money just to have a screw lid?

Also, as far as drying, I'm going to have to dry in the shed, with this wet,damp weather at the moment I'm pretty worried about the high humidity, have a fan which will be in there as well, have read about people using a cardboard box to help reduce moisture as well. Is this as simple as laying the buds on the cardboard box or having them hanging within the cardboard box? Don't want to lose all my first grow to mould at the last hurdle. 

Many thanks dudes and dudettes

Im no expert by any means and only grow / dry outdoors .   I use kilners with the rubber seal and have had no issues so far over the 7 yrs i have used them. 

I normally cut only the fan leaves off, hang the branches upside down for a wk or so with the fan blowing away from the product.   Then i remove the trim and cut the buds, place them onto drying nets again with the fan on low and pointing away.   Can be anything upto a few wks until the stems can be snapped.     I then do final trimming and jar them up with a desiccant pack in the jars,  i burp the jars every 2 days for a wk then every 5 days for 2 wks then a monthly burp for a few months.    I normally cure for approx 3 or 4 months or until i get desperate lol   

Net curtains make great drying nets and have also used non waxed brown paper bags for drying with good results.   

• Like 6

5 hours ago, OldFord said:

Im no expert by any means and only grow / dry outdoors .   I use kilners with the rubber seal and have had no issues so far over the 7 yrs i have used them. 

I normally cut only the fan leaves off, hang the branches upside down for a wk or so with the fan blowing away from the product.   Then i remove the trim and cut the buds, place them onto drying nets again with the fan on low and pointing away.   Can be anything upto a few wks until the stems can be snapped.     I then do final trimming and jar them up with a desiccant pack in the jars,  i burp the jars every 2 days for a wk then every 5 days for 2 wks then a monthly burp for a few months.    I normally cure for approx 3 or 4 months or until i get desperate lol   

Net curtains make great drying nets and have also used non waxed brown paper bags for drying with good results.   

Ah perfect, that's good hear about the rubber seals will just use them then. Ended up hanging a line within a large cardboard box as read it helps to draw moisture out, have them hanging in there at the moment, with a cut out at the bottom one end and another at the top on the other side. Got a tiny little usb computer fan aimed in the bottom, as it such little power do you think this will be alright to allow a bit of air flow without causing them to dry too fast? Took all the fan leaves and trim off, got a bit carried away haha. Will use your method for the next plant, sounds very good, thanks a lot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnKn0wN said:

Ah perfect, that's good hear about the rubber seals will just use them then. Ended up hanging a line within a large cardboard box as read it helps to draw moisture out, have them hanging in there at the moment, with a cut out at the bottom one end and another at the top on the other side. Got a tiny little usb computer fan aimed in the bottom, as it such little power do you think this will be alright to allow a bit of air flow without causing them to dry too fast? Took all the fan leaves and trim off, got a bit carried away haha. Will use your method for the next plant, sounds very good, thanks a lot!

Too many variables to guess on the fan but i always ensure its indirect,  the slower the dry the better the end result i find.   Easy to get carried away :)   Even on a cold wet Sept / Oct morning sitting on my stool  in the pissing rain with a poncho on cutting away lol      Try chop early in the morning for a better product.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OldFord said:

Too many variables to guess on the fan but i always ensure its indirect,  the slower the dry the better the end result i find.   Easy to get carried away :)   Even on a cold wet Sept / Oct morning sitting on my stool  in the pissing rain with a poncho on cutting away lol      Try chop early in the morning for a better product.

Okay perfect, yes definitely easy to get carried away haha. How come early morning is best? Is it due to the growth being focused on the roots so there isn't as much water and nutrients going into the buds at that time? Will make sure I chop earlier for the next few plants! Thanks a lot mate!

Will post a couple pictures in a bit, didn't get loads of bud on this plant, but for a first grow and having no experience I'm pretty happy with it, reckon I've got around an ounce or more. Just gotta dry and cure them nicely now, can't wait to try, giving off a lovely sweet smell.

• Like 1

Not amazing end product in the slightest, but happy none the less, shows what you can do with no experience and a lot of mistakes along the way. Cherry Bomb, excited for the next few plants now.large.IMG_4762.JPG

• Like 7

Any harvest is a gift :)   Well done that man.   From reading its my understanding that night time is the plants most productive time for resin production hence the early morning chop.  

Lots of people alse leave the plant in darkness for 24 / 48hrs.     

The main thing is you learn from it , enjoyed it and you get the satisfaction that the smoke your about to enjoy is done by your own fair hand :) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, OldFord said:

Any harvest is a gift :)   Well done that man.   From reading its my understanding that night time is the plants most productive time for resin production hence the early morning chop.  

Lots of people alse leave the plant in darkness for 24 / 48hrs.     

The main thing is you learn from it , enjoyed it and you get the satisfaction that the smoke your about to enjoy is done by your own fair hand :) 

Thanks a lot mate, 100% agree. Can only improve from now, can't wait to give it a smoke. Oh really, thats super interesting, will definitely do that for next time, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Baffles me more and more that the act of me placing a seed in some soil and tenderly looking after it for months, to then pick, grind and smoke it, to get high, happy and hungry, is an illegal act. What part of that sounds seems in anyway harmful to me or anyone else? Ah well, things seems to be improving. I'll be looking back in the years to come telling my kids "i grew weed when it was still illegal to do so".

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, UnKn0wN said:

Thanks a lot mate, 100% agree. Can only improve from now, can't wait to give it a smoke. Oh really, thats super interesting, will definitely do that for next time, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Baffles me more and more that the act of me placing a seed in some soil and tenderly looking after it for months, to then pick, grind and smoke it, to get high, happy and hungry, is an illegal act. What part of that sounds seems in anyway harmful to me or anyone else? Ah well, things seems to be improving. I'll be looking back in the years to come telling my kids "i grew weed when it was still illegal to do so".

Exact same views as you mate !   I grow to produce pain relief and a little smoke for when its extra sore,  the green works wonders .... the alternative is morphine and quit work .... yet im a criminal because i grow & consume in order to have a life & give my contribution to the gov.   A joke & shameful position to be in.   

• Like 4