First time jazz cabbage grow

UnKn0wN

Decided to give this jazz cabbage growing a bit of a go. As such a friendly and welcoming place, thought id keep a journal as any advice is more than welcome. Have got my seeds (all autos) and hoping they are going to be alright as didn't look hugely in to this (main part i should have looked into). Have got myself some Bomb seeds- Cherry bomb and cosmic bomb  Royal queen seeds- Northern Light and Seedsman- Auto blue berry. Anyone grown any of these before? Planning on germinating a seed possibly tomorrow or the next day, just waiting for my biobizz light mix soil. Then the plan is to stagger the other seeds, perhaps one or two being germinated on 420 and then one more in May.

Made myself a growbox of types (MDF a cardboard box, LED lights and a fire blanket thrown together) . Planning to start the girls off in here inside for the first 3-4 weeks then into the greenhouse. Havent yet got any nutes and was wondering if any of you would recommend any specifics, looked to getting the outdoor biobizz pack but no where seems to stock it.  

Any advice is hugely welcomed.

Hope you are all well in this crazy time, peace!:skin_up:large.IMG_4454.JPGlarge.IMG_4455.JPGlarge.IMG_4456.JPGlarge.IMG_4458.JPG

Edited by UnKn0wN
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, KillaChronic said:

Nice one mate. Lord Nermal would approve :B):

I'll be following this one

Thanks man. Haha he wished his blessings on this years crop, hopefully get some good yieldslol

• Like 1

Couple days since the first girl has sprouted, exciting times.:thumsup: Other one is just in the airing cupboard waiting to sprout.

At the moment have the 40W light about 30cm above the plant, is this an alright height? Have been cautious of the stalk stretching out ( lights not being close enough) But also the leaves seem to curl a tiny bit, may just be very early days to tell. Just protective over my devils lettuce, want them to have the best start in life haha

large.7F443E2B-9190-485E-B37C-EA5A9313F440.jpeglarge.9477892C-F51F-4DA7-845E-B8F59C81DC42.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UnKn0wN said:

40W

Closer with CFL can get them to 2-3 inches and it won’t burn, 30cm and they will stretch like mad. 

38 minutes ago, Jack010 said:

Closer with CFL can get them to 2-3 inches and it won’t burn, 30cm and they will stretch like mad. 

Okay sure, thanks man, although its just a 40W LED, not CFL?

7 hours ago, UnKn0wN said:

Okay sure, thanks man, although its just a 40W LED, not CFL?

Sorry mate, thought it was CFL, keep an eye on it, if it keeps stretching, get it closer, Iv just lowered mine cos they’re stretching, not sure of the height tho , will measure tonight and let you know

Yo all, thought id give you a little update.

Day 7 after first Cherry Bomb Auto seed sprouted. Second one was a couple days behind hence the smaller size. Started stretching at the beginning so have lowered the lights and put a bit more soil in to support it. Also have placed a small fan in to get some air flow and strengthen up those stalks. Bigger one has started to drink a bit more now and growing faster. How is it looking? leaves are curling slightly at the end? Not sure my temperatures are as warm as they should be, have got a thermometer coming tomorrow. Exciting times. 

Stay safe all.

large.D053A93E-DDCB-41AC-8EFB-8FD701B06E98.jpeglarge.CC4E01F6-79D0-4273-A9BA-EBAEE5A894AA.jpeglarge.715B5974-19B6-44D0-B680-7462ABACC2CB.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, B-real said:

They will be ok in that pot for a good few weeks 

Thats the plan, was going to start them in smaller pots then pot up to main, but planning on keeping them inside for the first 3 weeks then potting up and putting in the greenhouse and starting the next few. Dont have enough space with the two 10L pots in the box so opted for starting them in medium sized pots to ensure i didnt have to re-pot them too many times.

Happy 420 all hope you have all had a good one. Was blessed by the stoner gods with a birthday on this holy day haha, been a weird one in lockdown compared to the usual Hyde park day out.:skin_up:

Plants are growing well, one considerably better than the other, was a few days behind but also had its husk stuck on for a few days, think it may be the runt but will have to wait and see. Temperatures are staying around 22-23 and humidity around 50 at the moment. Been falling below 40 a couple times so put a wet cloth in with them and it seems to do the trick. Taken the time of the lights from 24 hours to 18/6 and plants seem to be responding well. 

Hope all are well, happy 420:bong:

Just after a bit of advice. The smaller plant is 10 days since popping up in soil and still looking very small, also the leaves are beginning to curl around, almost twisting and hasn't grown too much at all these past few days. Temps have been around 21-25 and humidity between 40-60. Have placed a small little fan in with them to keep the air circulating. Not sure if this is just a weaker plant, did have the seed stuck on her for a day. However not sure as to why the leaves are curling so much? Any advice would be much appreciated.large.C392456B-35D7-46E7-AC79-8144F23D9318.jpeg

The first one to pop up is now 12 days old, leaves are looking healthy but the stem is so tall and thin. Have been aiming the fan at her for a couple hours to try and strengthen the stem up but doesnt seem to be doing too much. Might just need to leave it for a little while and see. Is it worth adding some nutes yet? Assuming its best to wait a while but have the biobizz fish mix, bio-bloom and top max. Worth adding

a little fish mix?

large.0FB84B55-B772-4589-8FF9-F7CB3CAE78FC.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • A little update on what not to do when growing.:wallbash:

Things arent going too well, steep learning curve. Have realised i have made a lot of mistakes, which i knew would happen so got a few more seeds to germinate. The runt never got growing, just stayed small and then the stem managed to snap in the wind. The larger one is now a month old, but very small for its age. I realise now that i have stunted its growth massively by keeping it under only a 40W LED for its first few weeks, additionally i was following serpents guide to growing autos and put it on a 24 hour light schedule for its first week and then on 18/6. However as i then put it outside in the greenhouse this was a stupid thing to do, have completely messed up its light schedule. Having now read a bit more, I am starting the new Royal queen seeds Northern lights on a 15/9 light schedule for the first week to mimic the sun (cloudy and too cold to put out just yet) then putting in the green house. 

Having realised my noob mistakes at the beginning and realising i probably wont get much or most likely anything from this plant i decided to have a bit of fun and try some LST on it. Think i have probably trained it much too harshly but hey ho, learning everything not to do on the first plant, hopefully can do much better on the next few:wassnnme:

Have also run into a bit of a problem with this one as far as having a bit of a brown mark and slit in the stem, have also had a few orange, rusty spots on the leaves so cut out the ones that were affected. Thought it could be thrips but havent seen any more signs. 

Getting way too cold in the green house at night so have brought it in for the moment by the windowsill. 

For these next plants i know i need to:

• Stick to a 15/9 light schedule from the beginning
  • Get a wet dry cycle going
  • Get it out in the green house from end of week one
  • Not fuck it up 

Lets see how it goeslol

• Like 1