Frigid, stealth veg or bloom groom!

Butterfingerz

4 hours ago, stu914 said:

250w will create quite a bit of heat in that small space, seriously consider a larger extractor fan bud.

Bathroom fans are designed to run for only a few minutes at a time and won't last long, by making more passive intakes and a larger extract you won't need an active intake.

:oldtoker:

Sorry, I did 'like' the comment earlier as its totally valid and I thought I had replied.

I also have an 90x60 for clones and mothers and at present one 300w & 125w with a 4in inline 100w which has two passive inlets within my groom and it does do really well it seems at present. (15mins on, 45mins off)

I'm going to use the same notion here to begin with as it's only 250w in total but that's the light output and really it's about 160w at the socket. However I can enlarge to 150mm with a proper inline fan (SwiftAir branded) at a later date, I have peltier cooling options in thought, and both multiple passive inlets or possibly an active and passive inlet or enlarging the current passive.. 

If push does come to shove I will cut out the entire section at the bottom which is easily 40cm x 20cm and add a single grille, have done with it as a passive and then holesaw out the top to 150mm and utilise the 100mm inline elsewhere at a later date.

Got loads of options to try and I'm open to all options but am starting with 'less is more', seeing how it goes, enlargen and try another option and see how it goes. It's a really fun project Stu, glad you commented and I'm very sorry for the late reply but thought I did or have lost the post somewhere.

Tomorrow morning the machine screws will be here, well the m3x75mm.. Firstly I guesstimated it as an M4 on the E40 holder, the insulation within Frigid is 50mm and it's a good 5mm into the actual holder grubscrew? so purchased both M4x55mm and M3x55mm just to be on the safe side and then I found some M3x75mm with a butterfly spring fitting and thought to myself.. Let's purchase a box of them too which I've reserved for pick-up 'click & collect' in the morning from the nearest town, so i'll get up, get the kids in the pick-up and take them for a drive with me for an hour to grab them.

Hopefully by mid afternoon I should have two E40 bulb holders in and if I'm lucky two 125w Enviro bulbs, I've one brand new one spare and one in use on some seeds but if they are not looking too good I will pull the plug or move them under my 300w Enviro which free's up a 125w Enviro. I'll then wire them up and possibly actually be able to illuminate Frigid for a demonstration while I order another SwiftAir (100mm inline fan, CF, ducting) combo package for £50 online.

People much rather like flashy lights rather than me writing a sermon anyway :D

Edited by Butterfingerz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stu914 said:

250w will create quite a bit of heat in that small space, seriously consider a larger extractor fan bud.

Bathroom fans are designed to run for only a few minutes at a time and won't last long, by making more passive intakes and a larger extract you won't need an active intake.

:oldtoker:

I could also be neglecting the fact it's very early spring, still cold outside and that your thinking overall while my setup is new and constructed during the winter. So I could be going as you say with regards to 150mm extraction very soon ;)

• Like 1

Well I have one 125w Enviro bulb mounted and now working towards the bottom one, the bulb you see unlit is a broken model and I just use it for sizing up but I do have a few 125w Enviro bulbs around at present too of which I've mounted one within the other image as a demonstration that this is all working at the moment.

large.20200330_152506.jpg

As you can see above, mounted the E40 socket using M3x50mm but with butterfly fixings however M4 is the correct fitting machine screw for these holders but what I did was reverse the direction of the machine screw and it seated perfectly, the butterfly fixing is on the rear of Frigid where by I cut a nice rectangle in the rear so the butterfly's would be able to embed nicely and hold the weight.

With that being said I heated up a couple of new net curtain eyelets and used some white plastic coated stiff wire to aid the bulb in its placement sharing the load a little between it and the E40 holder.

Here below you can see the 125w Enviro lit, I'm now moving towards sorting out the lower section while also waiting on a delivery for the 4in 100w inline fan, filter and ducting combo kit :)large.20200330_154816.jpg

For sure its definitely advised that the top needs to or will need some protection in the form of an aluminium strip directly over the bulb, like a heat spreader used in HPS/MH bulbs just to be on the safe side. It will also direct more lumen down and enable me to place items I guess at a later date..

We'll see how it goes and what needs adjusting as me and frigid grow together ;)

Edited by Butterfingerz

So after a bit of wiring and the kids blowing off some steam I managed to find a spare while to get to affixing the lower section E40 holder, bulb, net curtain eyelets and a piece of stiff wire to support the bulb in place.

As you can see below here are both top and bottom section lit, also note the top section bulb which is a month in to use and the bottom section bulb which has just been removed from the box, however both bulbs were brought on the same day, same brand and supplier.large.20200330_224122.jpg

Here below is a closer photo of the top section as it stands now.large.20200330_221853.jpg

Here below is a closer photo of the bottom section as it stands now.

large.20200330_221841.jpg

Here below is an image of the middle ports with both lights lit.large.20200330_221823.jpg

Here below is an image of the middle ports with just the bottom light lit to show demonstration that the door closes and that the light does not leak. Trust me, even I thought the bulb once placed was still going to have hassle with the door closing!! I measured a few times and even though had clearance I still squeezed my eyes as I shut the door VERY slowly lol

It's like one of them moments when your not sure about flicking a switch and your almost in the ducking position prior to something blowing LMMFAO.

large.20200330_222015.jpg

So its cooling next, and yes... I'm going to do as others have mentioned.. 150mm at the top and opening up the lower passive inlet and converting to larger active and I'm still considering using one of my peltiers to compensate too.. Options, options and more options is how I always play the game.

Hope I've not bored anyone with another sermon from his lordship ;D But am really enjoying this little build!

• Like 2

Wiring: I'm not a certified electrician and was thinking for the wiring of the bulbs/holders it should be 0.75mm2 which I think is rated for 6amps, these bulbs I dont think each will even use an amp each and really I should use twin-core? As it has not earth wire. A five meter length is well more than enough to complete that part.

I'm assuming the same for the fans as it's all plastic housed along with whatever fans I end up using for inlets and outlets which will still not hit more then 300w but for some reason or another I feel safer even though in reality it's not warranted that the main power lead from the main wall socket to the couple of timed sockets which will be placed at the bottom back I'll be using 1mm2 with an 8-10amp fuse and have the earth connected just incase I ever use any other hardware/upgrades.

3meter, 1mm2, three core with a 8-10amp fuse leading to frigids sockets.

5meter, 0.75mm2 two core with a 3-6amp fuse for the two 125w Enviros and then the same for the fans which are controlled by usual segmental timers and each of these can switch 2amp loads before needing a contactor. Which I hope should all be safe enough and fit for purpose to clear the matter up.

Frigid is on the backburner for another week or two as I'm awaiting some feedback from an online retailer I use about a fan/carbon filter & ducting combination. So even though a CF is not desired for this project *yet* I do plan now on using a 6"/150mm inline/RVK and I will keep the CF for other purposes within my groom.

I'm really happy with the SwiftAir 4in Fan/CF/ducting & clips combo because today I broke out the CF and it was solid as a rock when shaking it about to see if any space had been left after filling and settling, I'm however not sure of the performance of these CFs as the price was very low.

*I just seen it initially as a freebie..

The phrase "Its gotta be cheap" that some folks use, usually lands you with a court sentence in the growing game and with regards to buying street herbs the same phrase always leaves you feeling stupid too I reckon or a con artist to others.. But the SwiftAir combo I purchased for eliminating growing tent smells seems fine for very light duties and might be a good option for Frigid.. Another boon is the 6"/150mm combos CF is 150x500 and that's about 100mm to long but like I said I never planned for that but if I speak to the retailer I notice the 5"/125mm Fan/CF/ducting kit has a 125x400 filter.

So am keeping my options open and at present its allot of sermon waffling and ideas throwing about. But sure as hell with what others have mentioned I'm going for a 6"/150mm exhaust inline fan while also awaiting a 6"/150mm holesaw.. Might purchase a 200, 250 holesaw bits for future use :)

*thought about using a storage box mounted on the top and putting the CF in that without the lid and it'll just look like a usual box with nick-nacks in, usual junk.. Let's see :)

Wiring is in route when I get back into the nearest town after picking up more hydroponic supplies, I've just not had the chance to nip by as been very busy. However I could order a drum for home delivery but that's really over the top when I need less them 10 meters.