Frigid, stealth veg or bloom groom!

Butterfingerz

Heya,

Welcome to another one of my sideshow bob, mister maker upcycling projects where it's all WIPs and six P's!

The main notion for this has been in thought for over a decade as a sideline project which I've never got around to but what with all the crazy panic buying and looting the shelves of food super markets people have either ran out of space, placed way too much inside their hardware or as usual broke them in the process of filling them, slamming doors, heavy handed usage with little real care while running around like headless chickens for no reason whatsoever! I'd also like to point out we actually only brought a fortnight's worth of food this month because we've saved on so much food last month and neither have the space. Just a waste otherwise in this country and others in need do need it!

So everyone has been throwing out reem hardware without a care and I took it upon myself one evening with a pick-up and went about selecting my project hardware for free!

So on to the main topic, Frigid..

Picked-up, Dragged home, Stripped inside & out and given a good going over with the business end in this case bleach, some vanish, more bleach water just like every woman should be on a friday night, (okay maybe not with bleach and vanish, however you YMMV depending on how the grid looks). It's mint inside & out apart from a dent or two, the seals are sound however over the last two days I have made it a little bit grubby planning what to put where and why and I should give the seals another couple of cleans with a toothbrush too.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be outfitting with some ducting essentials in preparation for some lighting, in-line fan and wiring everything up to make it look as normal as possible and I hope you can enjoy the show too. I've currently at least two or three self build threads going on, still in the middle of ordering kit for my grooms and a complete family along with parents that need my attention presently what with the cold going about.

Here are a few images of frigid as I go along.

large.20200325_122751.jpg

This was the compressor area which will be used for an inlet, 100mm gravity vent will be on the inside.

large.20200325_122454.jpglarge.20200325_122505.jpg

This is the inside, freezer section.

large.20200325_122434.jpglarge.20200325_122528.jpglarge.20200325_122542.jpg

Here is the fridge section, I'm using a 100x350mm round ducting section, cutting two holes to allow air to enter from the bottom section of the freezer in to the top fridge section, where it'll be vented out via rectangular ducting.

The two 100mm ducting sections will be over sized by 1cm top and bottom of the actual holes cut to prevent water if ever spilt or pooled in the top section flooding the bottom, it will collect and also I've some mesh to go over the round ducting too on route.

-Plenty of ideas going on, notions to run through but let's get started somewhere, I also have all the shelves I need, couple of drawers, the lot!

*Gimme time man!!!;)

Edited by Butterfingerz
The auto correct, activated and messed up further.?? Why, I dont know..
  • Like 3

Light switching:

I've been considering using the what was already in-place switch which if I'm correct is a push to break, so when the doors are opened the interior light in the usual fridge turns on so the consumer can reach for a snack.

However, I wished to modify this so when the door is open it'll turn off the lights preventing the cultivator from being blasted with lumens. The current mechanism is not suitable but the notion just needs to be reversed.

Ive spoken with JointHogger who's very experienced with variac and has suggested for ease just utilising a usual manual switch place out of sight on the rear which I'm going to follow for now until I can find a 'normally closed' or push to connect? Switch, I had assumed because I'll be using firstly two 125w Enviro bulbs (one top & one bottom) that the total bulb load must easily total an amp or less however if I found some type of switch which would suit my needs for frigid I would purchase one which can handle double or more the load for safety reasons and MTBF.

Sounds kind of complicated but really it's the opposite to the usual fridge light, door opens, light turns on. Where as I'd like door opens, light turns off I just doubt the mechanical workings of a mortice door switch to be able to be reversed and I'm not sure which relay could be utilised to fashion this notion either.

large.20200323_200407.jpg

So let's keep it simple for a while, manual labor switching at the rear.

Lighting:

I have two notions in mind which revolve around a few simple pleasures it's either tried and tested but larger & cheaper (2x 125w Enviros) or more recent technology, smaller & more costly (2x 125w quantum LED boards).

For now I'm considering the Enviro light style to get this operational for other members to see and try for themselves.

Hope I've not bored you with my thought process.

Edited by Butterfingerz

You will need considerably more passive intake.  Trust me I've been there.

Looking great though.  I love a good fridge build.

;)

• Like 1

If i was to build another ,i'd use lots of smaller lights placed all around the sides and top.(led strip lights) ime it's too small an area, and makes growing a plant way too complicated,though your results may differ:smokin:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phoenix said:

You will need considerably more passive intake.  Trust me I've been there.

Looking great though.  I love a good fridge build.

;)

How about 2x 100m inlets, as passive? Inline next to one another or utilising 1x 100mm with a bathroom type fan to compensate. I'm up for all viable options, glad you brought this up Phoenix. Thanks very much indeed :D

7 hours ago, MK11 said:

If i was to build another ,i'd use lots of smaller lights placed all around the sides and top.(led strip lights) ime it's too small an area, and makes growing a plant way too complicated,though your results may differ:smokin:

Awesome idea, I initially was planning for seedlings and clones but it's a good 40x40cm area and if ever at that stage to say, flower anything my first route of call would be to use some mesh as a SCRoG.

My first build version will be based on Enviro bulbs as I have a few spare but would like to go LED for sure to minimise hardware footprint and allows more growing footprint to be used.

You are both right, it's a tight space when compared to the usual growdrobe. I'd just like to see what can be made of it so its fit for another purpose.

Glad you both posted a both are vital questions when considering such a tight space.

Hope you stay about :)

Edited by Butterfingerz

So,  notions like wiring wiring have to be accounted for of which I'd like to mention I sketched this out twenty mins ago before reading the above comments and as I've not brought anything else yet this is how I thought about it.

large.20200326_122415.jpg

2x 35mm 2 gang boxes,

1x 2 gang plug socket,

1x 2 gang light switch,

1x 5 meter of 3 core.

3x three pin plugs,

2x segment timers.

However as mentioned about passive inlet styles, I could change this plan a little in three ways, enlarge the 100mm passive to 200mm or two 100mm passive or one 100mm active with a usual kitchen/bathroom fan.

More to come soon hopefully and I kindly thank other members for there input :D

Edited by Butterfingerz
Passive should have been active?

1 active fan actually makes it sound like a fridge.

;)

Especially a cheap xpelair.

Enviros are a bit big but if it's what I had to hand I'd grow vertical style.  Put it right in the middle of the groom and grow around it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I'll definitely check that out for sure, glad you responded Phoenix :D

*Just going to get some shut eye for 6~7hours ;)

Purchased a cheap-o 100mm Holesaw & Arbour combo for around £5, I would not obviously certify this for use on metals however you might get away with it a couple of times but it'll be just fine for wood and plastic maybe some brick work, plastic is its main intended use for my purchase which is only a few milimeters thick within frigid.

*Delivered a day prior then stated, so I'm very happy.

large.20200327_160112.jpg

Also on the books is an under £10 100mm extractor fan/grille combo which will be used for the 'Active' inlet at the bottom, rather then a 'Passive' I'm also considering wiring up both the active inlets & outlets on the same segment timer 'on & off' periods until I can maybe switch to a heat or humidity based 'on/off' automated switching system.

Let's get boring Frigid out this evening, I know she likes it rough about that time but shes still a high class lady during the day ;)

14 hours ago, Phoenix said:

That's an awesome thread Phoenix, glad you mentioned it and have taken the time to document the progress. It's good to see threads such as yours too, afterall it's all good for educational purposes and gives others viable options to try.

Hope to see you again soon mate :D

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 5:26 AM, MK11 said:

I've given some thought to what you've posted, sorry to reply again but have taken a look online at possible slimline side lighting options and as you can clearly see in the images there are ridges jutting out where shelves would have been situated.

I'm proposing adding some like LED rope? kind of idea at a little later date but firstly I'll deal with measuring twice and making sure what I want will go where as intended :)

• Like 1

So here goes for the first few cuts within the Frigid DIY build, hardly much to write home about but it's going to need a little sanding around the ports before the ducting ancillaries all fit in nicely, after that a good clean down again.

large.20200327_181707.jpglarge.20200327_182557.jpglarge.20200327_185812.jpg

Above: Here is the middle section being bored out, only took a few minutes of careful drilling.. Its plastic so flexibility has to be accounted for, backing off and spinning up the drill before plunging again, after that it shoots through the insulation. This soft inner has to be removed my hand tools before another go can take place.. I drilled until my pilot went through and then started on the oppisite side to make it all even too.

large.20200327_185653.jpg

Above: The top corner section slightly differed as it had an aluminium plate behind the first layer of plastic then the soft inner insulation and further behind that(the back) was just twin wall correx.. No dramas or sagas though.

large.20200327_185639.jpg

Above: I reckon my bored hole is a few milimeters slightly out of place but with a sand around to get the bathroom extractor in place or the grille will square it all up nicely..

So, dinner time first, beat the kids and get them in their cages and I'll get back to finishing some of this and if not then start fresh tomorrow.

Enjoy the view, been a lovely day an all and remember a goods tradesman always clears his or her own mess up immediately!

Edited by Butterfingerz
  • Like 3