Frigid, stealth veg or bloom groom!

Butterfingerz

3 hours ago, miserydrift said:

coming on nicely bud cant wait to see the end product!!!

Thanks very much for joining the thread, nice to see you MiseryDrift :D

Me too in seeing the end product, I was just browsing the yellow pages for vietnamese DIY enthusiasts, err that could undertake this manual labor thing for me, while they are at it I'll knock in a few quid if they could do the thinking to, too my spec ofcourse lol

Nothing listed under jobs-worth though, bugger! Arthur job to the rescue with some paw patrol tag along klingons :P

I've done a little bit more but have also put the kids to bed, I worry about the noise even though we don't have neighbours for at least a good 3/4th mile or more it's not them I worry about.. I've the fridge in the actual kitchen, two of the kids rooms are not to far above that! I could even drag it out the kitchen into the yard, set the flood lights to full and carry on around the corner without not to much bother.

But it's the hassle of doing so at such an hour so I've knocked it on the head for a good ten hours I reckon. :D

Lovely to see you, Ave you by chance managed to get a tan off them LEDs yet or not?

Edited by Butterfingerz

Just a slight update and maybe as you've read above what with the hour, kids and locational situation I've knocked it on the head for today but overall it was, what.. An hour or two's labor and most of that was spend getting the kids off the hammer drill or other screwdrivers and such to be honest.

*I dont mind but when one of them starts with using a saw as an axe near your head, it's a little worrying while your measuring up some pipe t'hehe

large.20200327_212733.jpg

spoilt for choice on which gunk to use as you can see.

large.20200327_215427.jpglarge.20200327_215610.jpg

As you can see above I've left a raised port of which if any water does end up spilling in the top section, pooling and such it does not just drop through to the bottom and set off any electrical issues.

Edited by Butterfingerz

Just a small update on Frigid, mustered up some parts, measuring out and going through the process of working towards finishing the project.. The main components on hold is really just a couple of Enviros, 4in bathroom fan which has been quoted at under £10 presently while the two Enviros are between £14 and £16 each, delivered.

So here below as you can see I've a broken 125w(80w at plug) Enviro along with an E40 screw fitting of which I have a few of around fit for repurpose, I can easily open the doors both top and bottom it seems and have a good cm I reckon when shut as a buffer zone for not smashing the bulbs..

However I dont see a barn reflector fitting because it has a bracket, gromit & power lead poking out the back and would also require cutting down at the front too.

large.20200329_170049.jpglarge.20200329_170114.jpg

Here below as you can see I've inlets for the power to supply the bulbs and even found a nice piece of plastic tube that will act as a wire holder making it cleaner looking. Also I might add I'm seeking two white plastic fizzy drink lids which I will fill with silicone to cover the old cooling pipe fittings.

large.20200329_170137.jpg

As you also might note I've left in place the 100mm length of ducting and the reason for this is because its spare, needs to be cut down at a later date and the rest can be used elsewhere on Frigid.large.20200329_170216.jpg

You can clearly see next to the wiring inlet one of the cooling manifolds that used to cool the freezer section which will be covered with a nice fizzy drinks bottle lid.

Here below are two overall images of the top and bottom section of Frigid.

large.20200329_170243.jpg

large.20200329_170234.jpg

The projects moving along and I hope this entertains members of UK420 as food for thought.

Edited by Butterfingerz

Hi bud, what size extractor fan are you installing? I ask because I converted a fridge several years ago. At the start I used a 4" and it was way to small to cope with the heat.

Upgraded to a 5" KSA acoustic + filter on a controller which did the trick. You need passive intakes 3 - 5 times the size of extract.

Tag or pm me if you need any help bud, good luck with the build.

:oldtoker:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud, what size extractor fan are you installing? I ask because I converted a fridge several years ago. At the start I used a 4" and it was way to small to cope with the heat.

Upgraded to a 5" KSA acoustic + filter on a controller which did the trick. You need passive intakes 3 - 5 times the size of extract.

Tag or pm me if you need any help bud, good luck with the build.

4in active outlet at the top which will be a proper 100w inline/RVK type and 4in active inlet at the bottom which will be a usual bathroom type and I'm sure that's roughly around 8~10watt (but not 100% sure of the actual power usage yet) presently which will be dealing with two 125w Enviro bulbs, one top and one bottom.

I have made a contingency plan that could involve a 5~6in bottom active inlet with an inline/RVK type as I have room at the rear to position it because that's where the old compressor was situated or dual 4in passive or dual 4in actives using bathroom type fans.

Awesome to have another member around too, thanks very much for commenting mate :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfingerz said:

two 125w Enviro bulbs,

250w will create quite a bit of heat in that small space, seriously consider a larger extractor fan bud.

Bathroom fans are designed to run for only a few minutes at a time and won't last long, by making more passive intakes and a larger extract you won't need an active intake.

• Like 1

I've also some shelves as I doubt, what with not being able to raise and lower the bulb or reflector I'll begin with it static at the top of each section. I'll be raising and lowering the seedlings, cuttings or smaller vegging plants until they can mature.

large.20200329_193039.jpg

At the bottom where the inlet is presently I've reversed and turned upside down the tray but I had to modify it ever so slightly so that it could be used. Also if issues arise it's a good area to place a much larger opening or storing an inline fan inside the bottom middle. Also acts as a little diffuser while making it all level at the bottom.

large.20200329_193104.jpg

On the top door section I have all three door trays too and was going to hold the shelves when not in use here but will have to put a strap along the middle so when opening the door that they dont just fall out but here is a basic representation of the notion. It's also viable to use this section for 3in pots on three levels.

I doubt I would ever bloom/flower within Frigid, my main usage is for clones, seedlings and just starting plants off. In the end I reckon the children will end up using it to get them in to growing plants indoors which is the future too.

I've also some shelves as I doubt, what with not being able to raise and lower the bulb or reflector I'll begin with it static at the top of each section. I'll be raising and lowering the seedlings, cuttings or smaller vegging plants until they can mature.

large.20200329_193039.jpg

At the bottom where the inlet is presently I've reversed and turned upside down the tray but I had to modify it ever so slightly so that it could be used. Also if issues arise it's a good area to place a much larger opening or storing an inline fan inside the bottom middle. Also acts as a little diffuser while making it all level at the bottom.

large.20200329_193104.jpg

On the top door section I have all three door trays too and was going to hold the shelves when not in use here but will have to put a strap along the middle so when opening the door that they dont just fall out but here is a basic representation of the notion. It's also viable to use this section for 3in pots on three levels.

large.20200329_193558.jpg

I doubt I would ever bloom/flower within Frigid, my main usage is for clones, seedlings and just starting plants off. In the end I reckon the children will end up using it to get them in to growing plants indoors which is the future too.

Thought note: I could even add in one of the lower wattage peltier modules, have them ranging from a few watts right upto a couple of 300~350w modules if ever cooling does start becoming an issue but they are for other projects involving HVAC.

Thanks for everyone giving me good advice on cooling and air circulation with regards to Frigid, very much well received indeed :D

Edited by Butterfingerz

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

The glass shelves totally stop airflow.   It's like creating a valve.

:geek:

Only one shelf would be utilised per section, just demonstrating the notion that I can raise and lower depending on how close to the bulb is needed at whatever growing stage the seedlings, clones or vegging plants need to obtain.

I look at it like an gravel or potting tray.

I also need to find something similar to raise the lower section as I'd not like them covering the diffuser in the lower section.

Glad to see you Phoenix, do you still operate you're fridge build :)

*Just a thought as it's not even a few kilograms having plants inside on the glass tray, I could cut the glass down by 3cm and have it so there is a gap both front and rear, but between the front door and the shelf is a good 90mm gap already because youd have bottles, milk and other condiments on the door shelves.

Edited by Butterfingerz

I also need to find some long machine screws or some threaded rod and four pieces of aluminium which I can drill through so that I can begin to affix the E40 holders. The plastic will not hold up over a period. Also I will support the enviro bulb at the more front section and previously I've used a piece of metal wire without any issues over a prolonged period if just left alone.

Them Enviros are fairly heavy in reality :)

Edit: M4x50mm(55mm including clearance into E40 holder) threaded rod or machine screws needed..

Edited by Butterfingerz

6 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

You will eventually fall in love with foil Turkey roasting trays.

;)

Sounds like me all over, usually I roast the wife in the bedroom but this week it's Frigid that's getting a seeing too!

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Definitely retain the door shelves.  Brilliant for clones.

;)

Yeah, i thought so too a 90mm square pot would fit awesome at eye guesstimation because I'm sure that's roughly the diameter of the atypical 2L coke'cola bottle.

I've just ordered 5x m3x55m and 5x m4x55mm bolts for safety sake as my eye sight could be a milimeter off, I've not got my calipers anywhere near me at present, even sure I have some M4 threaded rod in storage but will wait for the bolts over next few days and it keeps me from faffing with frigid with that being said it keeps a home worker in employment during these hard times.

I've given away a few contracts this week to companies that need them too even though I need the money myself as I also work from home too on the side but they could really do with the aid presently.