Brown bags and recommendations on clip jars

Subliminal Criminal

Le Parfait or Kilner for me.  I try to buy new seals every couple of years, keep em airtight.  

I have a small le parfait jar that was my grandparents, it must be 60 years old, bang a new seal on and it works like new.

Try Kitchen supply sites if you don't wanna be taken for a ride on the big river, whenever I have ordered jars they have been very well packed by both the manufacture & retailer, try to buy a box full rather than odd quantities.

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat - thought I had enough glass but my lowest yielding plant just weighed in at 4 times what I was expecting. A welcome issue, but spending over £100 on glass jars never seems right. 

Once had the nickname Jah Hoarder from the missus... had over 40 2l kilners in my kefir, pickle and sauerkraut-making days. Gave them all away when moving into a small flat.

I too prefer Le Parfait for their seal, and the 3l versions are readily available. 

Last batch of Kilner I bought from Wilko were shocking in terms of quality - too many imperfections and impossible to put the clip wires back on without a pair of mole grips!

Wilko's own brand are expensive for what they are and not totally airtight. 

I had a friend who cured for a month in glass then it all went into a big plastic UN food-grade keg. Anyone else do this? 

Think I've been lucky with drying/curing as I've never used a hygrometer or Bodeva pack in a jar. 

• Like 1

You can cure in vac sealed bags once your buds are properly dry which can be easier to store. For long term storage, this is the way to go I think, they can also be kept in the freezer

✌
17 hours ago, Subliminal Criminal said:

What are the best clip top jars to use? What size? Where from?. I have some le parfaits already..

Also can I use brown bags in the jars when curing?

I want to keep the buds from light..

Will be using bovedas..

Subs

What about Solar Reflect Paint no idea about it never used it ,paint your jars dyor

• Like 2

Just come across Bormioli Fido brand glass clip-top jars on the big river. Italian-made, thick glass according to reviews, 4-litre jobs available for £9... 

Both Kilner and Le Parfait are nowhere near as thick as they used to be! 

Gonna grab one and see what the craic deal is. 

• Like 3

Guest Default Attribute

I like the big 2L kilner jars, can fit a decent amount in them and the smell never leaks, some of mine are 10 year old and the seals are still good.

Edited by StevieRays

I have a load of different size Kilmer Jars but if I have a load of bud of the same strain I prefer to use these big 5L Bormioli Fido clip top jars. 
@SYZYGY these are them...

large.F0ECB442-D094-4E04-B9B9-07AB9EF1D7C8.jpeglarge.86C09F91-EC33-4251-8149-982BB3CB979A.jpeglarge.0BAFCB5F-6271-45D7-B2CC-02798C9DD21F.jpeg

Also for brown bagging @Subliminal Criminal you can get these plain big brown potato bags very cheap that measure 90Hx40Wx20D cm. They are great if you don’t have much spare time (like me!) as you can just cut the whole branches off and stick them in there for the last part of the dry

large.FB09CD36-A660-42B7-8AFA-1DFBD7D47C17.jpeglarge.B5BC81CE-D0B9-4075-AD95-095D9E8E3FB1.jpeg

• Like 5

@Notorious B.U.D do those big 5l Fido jars smell leak at all? They look fantastic are are great value for the storage space. I've been using ikea jars for years and they've always leaked. Until I saw this thread I assumed all jars leaked a bit. 

• Like 2

@someone no mate not that I’ve noticed anyway, the seals on them are pretty good I’d say.’

@SYZYGY sweet, with 8 of those bad boys you should be good to store about 2kg in total depending on how dense the bud is. I have also put one of those large boveda packs in each one in the past but tbh I can’t really tell if they make much of a difference or not to be able to recommend them.

• Like 1