Water pump

Adz15978

Forget about petrol pumps. For £70 you can buy a bosch battery pump that'll sort your watering needs up to 130m away (tested by a fellow grower with the same pump). Silent, and easy to modify if you have loads of non bosch batteries like me. Each 5ah battery will last over 50+ mins at 30m lengths, and is small and light enough to carry in a backpack (leave the hose on site). 

Drought buster supreme.  :notworthy: 

large.IMG-1361.jpglarge.IMG-1352.jpglarge.62adaa978a407_IMG-1344copy.jpg

• Like 8

Was just looking at them the other day. Glad to get a guerrilla review. 

I'll be grabbing one.

Thanks mate

• Like 2

@CheechChongReturns With the 2.5ah batteries they come with in the kit, they won't be quite as good as 5ah batteries and do need some DIY if you don't have bosch batteries (I butchered a Makita USB charger for the battery hook), but if you're good for batteries, they're little water rockets, you can just sling them into the river. 130m from one is a game changer in as far as petrol pumps are concerned. :yep:

• Like 2

@Slippy One

Sound. So I can just buy a Bosch 18v 5ah battery. And that should charge of the supplied charger coz they're interchangeable?!! 

Just now, CheechChongReturns said:

@Slippy One

Sound. So I can just buy a Bosch 18v 5ah battery. And that should charge of the supplied charger coz they're interchangeable?!! 

Not sure I was clear enough, I already had 4x Makita 5ah 18v batteries, so the single 2.5ah battery attachment for the pump is a Bosch battery connector only (obviously). They aren't interchangable, I ripped out the Bosch connector and butchered a (cheap -£12) Makita 18v USB charger to work with the pump. Let me know if you want more detailed pics, you'll need a solering iron. :yep:

• Like 2

Yeah I get that. 

Soz mate I'm a bit chonged.

But Bosch do a 18v 5ah battery.

Their 18v chargers fit all their batteries I think from what I see.

So surely I can just buy a Bosch 18v 5ah battery and it will fit the Bosch 18v charger that comes with the kit. 

?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

Yeah I get that. 

Soz mate I'm a bit chonged.

But Bosch do a 18v 5ah battery.

Their 18v chargers fit all their batteries I think from what I see.

So surely I can just buy a Bosch 18v 5ah battery and it will fit the Bosch 18v charger that comes with the kit. 

?

Yes. Apologies for any confusion, stick with Bosch for 100% compatibility. :yep:

• Like 1

@Slippy One :toot:

We got there in the end. 

Nice1 bro , I was too chonged and trying to multitask. 

I knew what I was thinking made sense to me in my head 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Forget about petrol pumps. For £70 you can buy a bosch battery pump that'll sort your watering needs up to 130m away (tested by a fellow grower with the same pump). Silent, and easy to modify if you have loads of non bosch batteries like me. Each 5ah battery will last over 50+ mins at 30m lengths, and is small and light enough to carry in a backpack (leave the hose on site). 

Drought buster supreme.  :notworthy: 

Bosch GARDENPUMP 18 18v draadloze dompelpomp | Dompelpompen (tooled-up.com)

i looked in the net....but the pump incl bosch 6ah charger and battery is 185  uk pound  correct ?

and it does 9 liter per minute....and max dept to pump up is 1.8 meter  ( vertikal )

correct?

can it do muddy water ?.....if so i have a plot for it :) 

Edited by DutchFox

@DutchFoxIt has a fine filter so try the deeper parts preferably solid bed, not a good idea in silty water, the filter would clog up pretty quick. The clearer the better although pumping water 130m instead of the recommended 25m means this little powerhouse could probably suck it way through a muddy puddle, as long as it's big enough.. lol

Pricing in the UK is weird, £89 for just pump, £79 for full pack including pump, feeder hose, 2.5ah battery, wall wart charger, bracket for battery case. My guess is they made too many 2.5ah batteries, and this is a good way to move stock by discounting the entire kit. 

These prices are for a click & collect shop in the UK called B&Q aka diy.com 

I do believe these will sell out pretty fast, especially if this dry weather keeps up.. 

• Like 2

@Slippy One  thanks

with all pumps i tried i always made extra filter at the suction end of the hose. 

by using a kind of a kubus and a lady pantiehose :)  

worked great sofar. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this thread for anyone wanting to mod the power pack for Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee etc, as long as it's 18v and they make USB charge dock for the battery. The Makita USB charge dock is cheaper (£12) than ordering a Chinese 3D printed 18v Bosch to Makita adapter (£18 )- which hasn't arrived 3 weeks later.. 

For any Bosch battery owners, this is not for you, you're fine. :yep:

Right, simply rip out the entire guts of the Bosch cradle, which is an off button, 3 speed button, lights, leaving only the 2 wires from the back of the plug. These 2 wires simply need to be directly soldered inside  the USB charger of your preferred brand (I'm Makita). You will need to disassemble the charger, I hacked off the plastic belt clip, and a few bits but it's just 2 wires - + so easy peasy. Make sure you solder in firmly, and don't forget to use cable ties on the 2 wires inside and outside the USB Charger housing to prevent snagging the solder. 

Here's the 2 insulated wires from behind the plug, perfect length to solder to the charger dock.

large.62bb305e2d65d_IMG-1384copy.jpg

Then it's time to place your USB charger into the Bosch weatherproof cradle. It's an inch or so deep, but has some notches that'll need to be shaved for a perfect fit. I got lucky with the Makita as it's held in extremely firmly, and I used epoxy glue to really keep it in place.

large.62bb305fdeb0e_IMG-1386copy.jpg

Then just add the battery. This way you can close the lid and be weather sealed should it piss down while watering (oh the joy!). If you use an adapter, you won't be able to close the lid. 

large.62bb306184207_IMG-1387copy.jpglarge.62bb305cc2e6b_IMG-1388copy.jpg

And the plug to the pump is a screw in type which is really secure. Just know that as soon as you connect them, the pump is off at 100%. The cable is really long too, like 3m I think. 

large.62bb305941990_IMG-1392copy.jpg

So happy pumping fellow gg's. If we all buy a pump like this, it just might reverse the karma on drought and heatwaves. If that doesn't work, we all have a lightweight powerhouse tool to fix what nature can't! :yep:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Slippy One said:

that doesn't work, we all have a lightweight powerhouse tool to fix what nature can't! :yep:

Great lil tip that mate... how long does the run for slip, on like a 4ah battery? 

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Slippy One said:

@ReviveA 4ah battery would go for at least 30-40 mins, depending on length of hose and elevation from the pump. :yep: 

Cheers dude :yep: