Water pump

Adz15978

Been prepping a new plot last couple of weeks. Been hard graft but getting there. There is a water source very close. I was thinking about running a hose (maybe bury it) then use one of those small drill powered pumps. Has any one used one of thoes pumps? Do they have enough power? 

my next thought was to set up watering system to each plant but not sure if this is necessary tbh. May use use pump to fill watering can and hand water 

• Like 1

Those drill pumps are the job mate! I used one with a 100m hose on fairly level ground. They work great and as long as your not trying to pump water up a hill you'll be fine :thumsup:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SmokeYourGreens said:

Those drill pumps are the job mate! I used one with a 100m hose on fairly level ground. They work great and as long as your not trying to pump water up a hill you'll be fine :thumsup:

It needs to go up about 1m over a embankment. Then it’s down hill to the plot. Only maybe 15/20m tops. But non of ones I’ve looked at specify a head rating. Do you think it would cope with a meter or so upwards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adz15978 said:

It needs to go up about 1m over a embankment. Then it’s down hill to the plot. Only maybe 15/20m tops. But non of ones I’ve looked at specify a head rating. Do you think it would cope with a meter or so upwards?

Yeah mate that would be totally fine, you would be surprised how much power them drill pumps can put out!

• Like 1

If it goes up over an embankment and then downhill to a point lower than the source it will siphon once you fill it with water.  Then, theoretically a cork or tap or bending it back on itself by 180 degrees will stop and start it at will.  Depends if the plot is downhill of the source. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ch@ppers said:

Water pumps, I still have nightmares lol

You don't mess about do ya haha fucking next level shit lol love it.

• Like 2

Useful thread :)

I have a stream running 30-40m away from my grow spot. The stream is probably 3-5m lower, do you think one of these drill pumps should be upto the job? 

Will a normal garden hose be ok to drop into a slit in the ground, or do you need something armoured? I'm assuming it will only go a few inches deep?

Also, are you using the fairly cold water straight from the stream?

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 1:51 PM, seb88 said:

Useful thread :)

I have a stream running 30-40m away from my grow spot. The stream is probably 3-5m lower, do you think one of these drill pumps should be upto the job? 

Will a normal garden hose be ok to drop into a slit in the ground, or do you need something armoured? I'm assuming it will only go a few inches deep?

Also, are you using the fairly cold water straight from the stream?

I was planning on using normal hose. Possibly putting some tights over the end to stop shit getting up it. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 8:29 PM, Socksnsandals said:

If it goes up over an embankment and then downhill to a point lower than the source it will siphon once you fill it with water.  Then, theoretically a cork or tap or bending it back on itself by 180 degrees will stop and start it at will.  Depends if the plot is downhill of the source. 

Yeah it’s down hill after the initial embankment. Was hoping it would siphon. Wasn’t sure if it will keep enough pressure to pull it up over the hill to start?

11 hours ago, Adz15978 said:

Yeah it’s down hill after the initial embankment. Was hoping it would siphon. Wasn’t sure if it will keep enough pressure to pull it up over the hill to start?

Depends how high - theoretically a water siphon can go fairly high https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon#Maximum_height .  

Have to go to work now but I'd never realised how much there is to siphons - the article looks interesting, even with (droplet siphon) things to try at home!  Looks as if it would be particularly engrossing after 4:20 - will have to read in detail tonight ;)

• Like 2

Drills can make a lot of noise, if you wanted to go complete stealth you can have a 12vdc BACOENG pump off Amazon, they pull 10A/H tho so u will need to take a 12vdc10A batt each time for an hour run. They are great pumps and have a good head with good flow 

I have a 45A/H batt on a 15 watt solar trickle charge on site all season, if you really want to get fancy you can run the pump through a 12vdc timer relay and make an automatic irrigation system. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Downsouth said:

if you really want to get fancy you can run the pump through a 12vdc timer relay and make an automatic irrigation system. 

You can buy a solar powered pump with 12 flexi pipes with spike drippers coming off it. Fits to the tap on the bottom of a water butt too. Might even have a timer, can't remember. If you reeeeaaaly wanted to get fancy, you could install a water butt every 12 plants (or just use one if you have 12 or less) having each plant fed by a dripper. You could do monthly visits to top up the butts by pumping water from your near by source.... A lot of effort, money and risk to get the butts to site. Maybe if it was a private garden tho.. 

I have toyed with the idea of getting a water pump for a while but I think the noise is too risky, well it is for my site anyway.

• 2 years later...

I've narrowed it down to 2 pumps for me, Honda WX10 (£350) or Parker 52cc Pump (PPWP-1000) at £99.

Anyone else considering pumps this year? And are 4 stroke motors worth £200 more than 2 strokes? 

Happy growing folks, may it rain constantly for the nextr month where you are.. (lucky bastards) :P 

• Like 3