Chlorine and Chloramine removal for no till

Frank Lopez

@JJJ Does anyone who can actually smell the chlorine in their tap water still use it untreated?

Chlorine doesn’t smell.. when the swimming pool or your tap water smells like that it is the chlorine reacting with ammonia from swimmers or the run off from fields getting in the tap water causing the smell.

The worry imo, if any.. is what happens to the chlorine when it’s mixed with nutes or piss.

I don’t have any issues with the plants using it straight out of the tap but it does put me off going swimming in the school holidays.

:smokin:

Chlorine reacts with urine to form a host of potentially toxic compounds called disinfection byproducts. These can include anything from the chloramines that give well-used pools the aforementioned odor, to cyanogen chloride, which is classified as a chemical warfare agent.

Edited by Era

You've obviously never smelt dairy hypochlorite which is what is used in pools @Era 

Chlorine stinks! ........even before it's gone anywhere near a pool 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

You've obviously never smelt dairy hypochlorite which is what is used in pools @Era 

Chlorine stinks! ........even before it's gone anywhere near a pool 

That’s reassuring..

does it smell like you would expect?

Swimming pools, city tap water?

It’s really put me off swimming and also drinking tap water thinking that the smell of chlorine is in fact the smell of chlorine mixed with piss.

Any idea what it smells like if you piss on it?

Don’t inhale too deeply on my behalf if experimenting.. just wondering if there is a notable difference in whiff after application of ammonia..

like adding a dash of water to a single malt perhaps?

Would you say then that a strong smell of chlorine in the pool is not therefore an indication of how many people used it as a toilet that day? Hmm.. hope you’re right 

Edited by Era
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Era said:

That’s reassuring..

does it smell like you would expect?

Swimming pools, city tap water?

It’s really put me off swimming and also drinking tap water thinking that the smell of chlorine is in fact the smell of chlorine mixed with piss.

Any idea what it smells like if you piss on it?

Don’t inhale too deeply on my behalf if experimenting.. just wondering if there is a notable difference in whiff after application of ammonia..

like adding a dash of water to a single malt perhaps?

Would you say then that a strong smell of chlorine in the pool is not therefore an indication of how many people used it as a toilet that day? Hmm.. hope you’re right 

*Puts down glass of whisky*

...cheers mate. 

lollol 

• Like 3

On 17/12/2019 at 7:44 PM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Chlorine is a micro nutrient. It is not doing any harm whatsoever. The levels found in water aren't even a factor on microbial life as what negligible bit is killed is replenished faster than the chlorine kills it.

Tap water, straight out a the tap, at the right temp is just fine, even for living soil.  

Plants don't mind a bit of chlorine in my experience. We use chlorine tablets in a pool I look after. They weigh about 250g each. You can leave one of those to dissolve away over a few weeks on a patch of grass to no noticeable detriment to the grass. Go figure 

I realise the plant uptake some of the chlorine, my concern is any excess that may attach to the soil and build up over time. No run off so no chance for any excess to leach out.

1 hour ago, slinkjohnson said:

I realise the plant uptake some of the chlorine, my concern is any excess that may attach to the soil and build up over time. No run off so no chance for any excess to leach out.

Don't worry about it as it's really negligible in the grand scheme of things that can cause problems..

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

Don't worry about it as it's really negligible in the grand scheme of things that can cause problems..

Cheers for the reassurance! I'm ditching the LJ :-)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bump.

Any more comments on the affect of chlorine/chloramine in tap water?

I started using ecothrive neutralise as I got a small bottle free, stopped using it and haven’t seen or noticed any difference and I do grow no till. 

Peace

lil d. :skin_up:

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

Bump.

I started using ecothrive neutralise as I got a small bottle free, stopped using it and haven’t seen or noticed any difference and I do grow no till. 

Peace

No mate I'll hang on until the same question comes up next year.

The answer won't have changed though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lildaveham said:

Bump.

Peace

What little chlorine/chloramine there is left by the time it reaches your tap will react with the first thing it can in the dirt when you water, most likely before it reaches the roots. They are reactive molecules and won't only react with living tissue. Think of DWC with the roots soaking in plain chlorinated tap water: do you read many problems with that specifically?

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you want a cheap way to neutralise then I would recommend seachem prime for fish tanks. Its literally like 2 drops per bucket so a bottle goes a really long way

• Like 1

Probably been said... RO water... I've seen cheaper ones that connect to a hose pipe fitting around £30 or less! 

Drop me a message and I can send you a link 

I'd be more worried about Flouride in the tap water personally (not for the plants). I know a good few places in the world used to fluoridate their water, even in this country I believe :nuke:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KC said:

I'd be more worried about Flouride in the tap water personally (not for the plants). I know a good few places in the world used to fluoridate their water, even in this country I believe :nuke:

Definitely! 

Id also imagine your wary of aspartame also! There's a hell of a lot of poison in our food and drink!

I use this weed killer called glyphosate, pretty sure it was created by Monsanto it's very powerful and they have genetically modified plants that are immune to it lol the farmers don't go outside for a few days after application... This is then washed and sold... From the makers of agent orange....

Maybe I should go on the conspiracy part of this forum lol as I have a feeling I could go on and on 

• Like 2

On 27/07/2020 at 2:08 PM, Charlie_Kilo said:

If you want a cheap way to neutralise then I would recommend seachem prime for fish tanks. Its literally like 2 drops per bucket so a bottle goes a really long way

Ecothrive do a product which I'd imagine is a re-hash of that lol they do also say that it doesn't completely remove chlorine! 

Not going to assume your interested but on the subject of fish tanks there are cheaper 3 stage RO systems available that connect to a outside hose fitting, very simple to operate for around £30 

• Like 1