Chlorine and Chloramine removal for no till

Frank Lopez

Hi, can anyone please tell me the best way to remove chlorine and chloramine from my tap water?

I have an RO unit but don't want to use that for no till farming as trace elements are about right in the tap water. 

What are people doing to get over this?

..BZ..

• Like 1

Interestingly not long made a post about this. In brief Chlorine (free Chlorine) can be released from tap water simply by leaving it for 24/48 hours in an open vessel (fairly wide aperture). Chloramine used in water treatment is chemically bonded compound (Ammonia/Chlorine) can only be removed by RO. Importantly not all RO filters have the ability to do this so that's something to check.

Original post was observation made about people 'airing' tap water prior to use. Having investigated water treatment (certainly in my area) only a relatively small amount (10%) was free Chlorine the other 90% was Chloramine. Therefore 'airing' the water make almost no discernible difference in overall Chlorine content.

Many growers here use water straight from the tap after ambient temperature is achieved with no ill effects. This is a practice I'll be adopting on my next grow having grown with purely RO water first go around. Additional advantage of tap water is presence amongst other things is Calcium and Magnesium salts (albeit not necessarily in correct ratio) prolonging/negating the need for supplements such as CalMag.   

• Like 9

I can't remember where I read this and have no evidence or resources to back it up but apparently the chlorine in our council-pop is actually beneficial to plants.  Could be a bunch of arse but I've not noticed any issues arising from the use of tap water.  Straight from the tap and left out in bottles for a few hours to bring it to room temp.

• Like 2

Think Oldtimer covered this somewhere and said to use ascorbic acid (spelling) not sure what ratio.

peace

lil d. :hippy:

• Like 2

I just use it straight out of the tap and get great results, I have let it stand over night before but it makes not a jot of difference to my results.

• Like 2

With water coming from reservoirs with a large surface area etc and through pipes that also contain air, I dont think allowing water to stand makes any difference other than acclimatisation to room temp.

Chlorine is a macro nutrient and plants in extreme cases can show a chlorine deficiency.  Same as iron, magnesium or calcium.  Any old school growers remember changes to supplied water messing with growing?  Or changes of location?

Chloramine however I think is bad for the plant and the micro herd.  As would chlorine in too high a concentration.

It's fairly subjective and miniscule such as is boron and such.

• Like 2

HMA Filters remove chlorine and chloromine and lead, you can pick them up for around 40 quid and unlike RO, they don't produce waste water

• Like 8

Thanks for all your replys everybody. 

I considered a chlorine remover from a fish shop but I would guess that contains binding chemicals of some kind that I wouldn't want in my organic bed. 

I have read that you can use granular activated carbon but needs a long contact time so i would have to have a filter running in a bucket of water for a while before using, which might become a pita in the end.

I'll look at the HMA filters cheers! Brief view it looks like it'll remove some of the trace elements, I guess GAC would remove trace elements also. 

It's been suggested to use rainwater but in my mind that's no different to ro water. 

Am I over thinking this??

I have fish tanks and use ro to remove chlorine compounds (and everything else to zero tds as it's a marine reef tank with corals and other inverts) , if I used tap water my filter bacteria would die, followed by fish and corals until everything that was once alive is dead. I'm pretty sure everytime i water my plants tap water the bacterial colonies that break down the organics get nuked. 

Edited by Frank Lopez
Making it make sense

So perhaps if your an intrepid fish keeper you'll remember to add diatimatious earth to a well planted freshwater substrate.  It will add the macro nutrients required to plants roots despite using charcoal filters.  Which will filter the macro nutes out.  Do you remember the tunze system.  The first co2 enriched aquarium plant growing system?  What I'm suggesting is that you need to add sequestered nutes to your no till.  Maybe diatomaceous earth.  Or rock dust?

Just my spiel.

Or remove the sodium from your water changes and use that.

• Like 2

The small amount of free chlorine in tap water is just there to sterilise the water and will probably completely react with the top few mm, or less, of organic matter in your soil (if it has a sterilising effect it will probably be very small). I'm guessing you can also use a small amount of molasses, biobizz grow etc, to achieve the same thing (give the free chlorine something to react with before watering).

Most or at least many myc cultures sold nowadays will likely be chlorine tolerant strains also. I found a good answer to this on another forum by a soil expert (runs a asI'll paste in anyway (the question was about watering outdoor gardens and also inoculated hydro systems with tap).

Great question! To simply answer, its a non-issue! There is not enough concentration of the chlorine in the city water to have an adverse effect. If anyone tells you otherwise then they are falsifying the data. I am aware of mycorrhizae producers whom have only municipal water available and are producing the fungi without any negative effects.

Erik Bernt Burr - Principal
TerrawoRx Services 

Am I over thinking this??

Probably. Saying that I think even basic filtered water tastes miles better than tap, maybe the microbes do too.

• Like 2