Chlorine and Chloramine removal for no till

Frank Lopez

Thanks ubercamel but It's the chloramine that's my main concern as it takes forever - months to break down. I'm not too worried about free chlorine as my storage tank is probably depleted of it already. 

I guess I'll have to use RO DI and add some diatomaceous earth as phoenix suggested. I think non-chlorinated tap water would be best all round but I guess I'll just have to forget that for now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Lopez said:

Thanks ubercamel but It's the chloramine that's my main concern as it takes forever - months to break down. I'm not too worried about free chlorine as my storage tank is probably depleted of it already. 

I guess I'll have to use RO DI and add some diatomaceous earth as phoenix suggested. I think non-chlorinated tap water would be best all round but I guess I'll just have to forget that for now. 

I'd take more time to read @uBercaMeL response than mine.  Its more detailed and better citation.  Mines from memory. And from respected sources such as @uBercaMeL

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lildaveham said:

Think Oldtimer covered this somewhere and said to use ascorbic acid (spelling) not sure what ratio.

THIS^^^^^

seems like you missed it first time round @Frank Lopez

• Like 2

Absolutely no need to be bothering with anything.

What comes out if the tap will not do any harm, even in organics.

The microherd recovers within hours.

I water contained plants with over 2000 litres daily to fast growing annuals in 4 year old organic no till soil. 

Honestly. Don't worry about it or get hung up on it because it's a complete non issue

E2a. In one study, researchers found that water chlorinated at 5 parts per million (a much stronger concentration of chlorine than is usually present in tap water) killed organisms only in the top 1/2 inch of soil. Organisms deeper than 1/2 inch were still thriving. In order to kill soil microorganisms to a soil depth of 6 inches, water containing 65 ppm chlorine was required in one study

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 12

I exclusively use rainwater, but then my no till is more or less total recycle with all vaped bud of rosin pucks going back so less issue with Ca or Mg depletion I guess. I have used tap water on smaller pots and in my greenhouse beds with no issue whatsoever, try to avoid it or let it settle but sure there are bigger things to worry about.

• Like 4

Listen to Jimbo folks, my grows are organic and water straight out of the tap is fine. No need to let it stand, fill the watering can with with cold from the tap, bring to room temp with a bit from the hot tap, add nutes and water them straight away.

• Like 5

I expect that chloramines are pretty much everywhere these days and I don't think there's been any case where harm has been proven on any significant scale? It's a slippery bugger to pin down exactly too.

In reality, chloramine exists as three different forms or species: monochloramine (NH2Cl), dichloramine (NHCl2) and trichloramine (NCl3). They are chemically related and are easily converted into each other; thus, they are more appropriately called chloramines.

In contrast to what water utilities claim, it is impossible to have only monochloramine. It is not unusual in water systems for harmful di and trichloramines to occur.

Good luck removing it, and then testing for that, I personally have been growing seriously for 10 years, growing vegetables for much longer, I used only organic methods and have never felt there was an issue to my health. It's been used for 90 years so you would think there would be lots of stories of harm if it was a real issue, I will take this over harmful drinking water any day.

• Like 3

If anyone is that concerned over the chlorine/chloramine levels in the water I suggest you don't go checking the tolerable level of contaminants in your foodstuffs.

+1 to using water straight from the tap.

The only problem I've ever had is not using enough feed!

Fishkeeping is a totally different ball game to growing plants.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone I feel more confident going forward now. I'm glad I asked before employing a more laborious routine in my garden. 

• Like 3

On 12/08/2019 at 2:36 PM, Exhale said:

On 12/08/2019 at 2:56 PM, Frank Lopez said:

Fishkeeping is a totally different ball game to growing plants.

I agree.  But growing good plants in a tank can be tricky.  Harder than looking after a pengssius catfish.  Sustaining cryptecorne walkerei.  

;)

I use ascorbic acid (vitamin c) but only because I'm an idiot. 

I remember somewhere seeing a comparison of bacterial levels when using tap water vs dechlorinated and the result was "no discernable difference." 

• Like 2

Ecothrive have just released an ascorbic acid product funnily enough. Powder from ebay and supplement providers looks much cheaper though.

On 11/08/2019 at 5:01 PM, lildaveham said:

Think Oldtimer covered this somewhere and said to use ascorbic acid (spelling) not sure what ratio.

peace

lil d. :hippy:

1000mg  or 1g per 100 gallons. I would guess its potency/concentration  is much reduced by the time it reaches your tap.

Edited by catweazle1