Dynavap induction heater

FarmerPalmersNT

It's curved. Ideally wants to be streight with the coils stacked so thayre all touching. 

Electrical tape will do. Just be gentle  and make sure the tape isn't anywhere the hot dynavap will make contact. 

• Like 1

Try and stack it straight and with as little gap between coils as possible. Nothing crossing. You can experiment more with coil tightness/number of coils later if you feel confident reshaping it. Otherwise just tidy up what you've got. 

Guys thanks a million, this is now working a treat! Now I just need to house it. 

large.IMG_20200301_195241_compress94.jpglarge.IMG_20200301_195253_compress35.jpg

Edited by lemoore00
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Salutations Mac_47,

Well, there's nothing wrong with expressions of enthousiasm and i personally wish the actively involved participants would never seem to feel shy just for sharing their experiences.

Nonetheless i immediately notice 2 trade-offs made in the name of over-simplification:  #1) the power switch gets submitted to unnecessary stress;  #2) power switching wouldn't be such an issue after replacing some ZVS topology with one based on gate drivers.

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Salutations,

There was another dedicated thread (*) but i think it's more coherent to resume the discussion here, starting with this:

Egzoset-s-intro-on-HV-Forum-2020-Jul-2-5

Egzoset's intro on HV Forum (2020-Jul-2)

M'well, it didn't stay on-line long enough to survive the day...  Actually i cancelled the account anyway, but not before i was done collecting this capture which then served in support of a post made on Reddit's "Induction Heaters" channel:

Tired of blown power stages in over-simplified Mazilli/Royer oscillator!?? (2020-Jul-3)

Edited by lildaveham

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

Fanboys who recently collected points on me now seem to feel real nervous...

Reddit-Egzoset-s-very-1st-post-to-Ask-El

And this is a brief expression of what i later concluded about it, pass the word:

Reddit-Egzoset-s-views-on-CHEAP-TALK-fro

Go figure, it must be a self-serving reaction to my previous mention of shrapnels, in reaction to some 2014 video once commented by Egzoset, on FC (...), finally refered to once again:

A.C. driven Mazzilli ZVS version on steroïds!

Keep in mind my next post in r/AskElectronics didn't obtain any better echo, quite on the contrary:

Power Decoupling on ready-made or semi-DiY (3rd-party) Mazzilli kits.

Very Valid, Educated/Informed & Genuine contributions ain't been received differently than Serious Questions to a " community " supposed to be discussing, euh...  Never mind!!  M'well, lets simply call it "Déjà Vu".

In the meantime i strongly recommend more questions need to be asked, while IH drivers with some sturdy metal enclosure (and a separated batteries compartment!) might prove being preferable on the moderate to long run - e.g. especially in a context when such abused batteries can no longer sustain the repeated stress from a ready-made 3rd-party commercially-available Mazzilli module...

Edited by lildaveham

Salutations,

Sometimes an absence of reponse is just as revealing a one, for example in the later senario, minutes only after i was done posting (...), some spineless/rampant troll abusing of installed privileges (while protected by an IGNORE shield...) passed by to deliver plain shit right on my doorstep - which is to expect considering where it comes from (e.g. "business as usual" anyway).  This is the kind of content that makes them jump out under daylight:

Enjoy my original contribution without the fluffy stuff.

Edited by lildaveham

Hummm...

Back to the announced topic:

Opposite-Application-Ranges-doi-org-10-3

Power Curve-Fitting Control Method with Temperature Compensation and Fast-Response for All-Metal Domestic Induction Heating Systems

It's a touch-up version of the article's graphic, there's not really a "Curie" nor a "DV" label in the original of course, i put it there and enhanced the zones to point out that if my perception is correct this could explain failure reports that seem to refer to a "shot-thru" (forbiden) state.  If DynaVap's IH strategy had been to exploit a Curie effect the "Q" factor of a resonator's tank frequency wouldn't generate as much over-voltage peeks compared to the present context where it's operating within a narrow band.  Consequently if/when workload inductance varies as a result of unattended/random insertion/removal i figure the penalty gets increased as a trade-off for elevated frequencies more adapted to electric "eddies" heating mode.  In any case i desire an IH-driver capable of tolerating these issues so this only confirms a prevous intuition about SS430:  the more i read the better!

Too bad in essence it means having to start from the ground up...

Edited by lildaveham

Thanks for all the excellent info . I have my induction heater on the way . Not sure what to use to run it , don't really want 18650's was hoping for a plug in the wall . How about 5v at 2 amps would this do it ? I have a 5v usb plug that does 2.1 amps . What would you say is the minimum amps needed ? 

Edited by pothead11
incomplete

Hi again PotHead11,

Salutations iShouldCoCo,

5 hours ago, pothead11 said:

I have my induction heater on the way.

Oh, those are truly pleasant news to read here!  May you enjoy this time safely & reliably!!

:thumsup:

5 hours ago, pothead11 said:

Not sure what to use to run it...

That's a major problem if dealing with Mazzilli modules, all too often confused with true "ZVS" ones (which ain't actually synonymous).

Judging from what i read it turns out its so-called "simplicity" required trade-offs i wouldn't personally want to agree on, but this is a semi-DiY HOBBY and we're all grown-ups.  We've all read the safety notice, right?

So please use those adult toys with care, eBay's over-simplified Mazzilli modules never got corrected since over 10 years ago, which explains why it became necessary to build protective features AROUND it...  Which is even more complicated than starting from a fresh set of design criterias, hence at the present evolution rate i'll say it may be necessary to refocuss, or wait a decade if not more.  Did i mention JAi's Curie Pyrolizer got patented in 1969?...

Anyway, enjoy the view besides a few privilegded enthousiasts willing to join IH pioneers!

But please try not to loose an eye doing so, i mean literally, in case i ain't made myself clear hey!  Treat with as much respect as if it were plutonium! :nuke:  ...  ;)

In other words i'd put it in a solid box, a closed one.  Beware of close proximity to metal objects...  Other than that i don't see what could go wrong besides robot smoke:  e.g. maybe it would be preferable to mount a smoke detector inside, euh...  Ah and an X-ray machine, in case you must detect explosives around - which must be most convenient in airports!!  Hummm...  M'well, maybe not.

Anyway, remember it's a power device submitted under serious electrical stress and it's NOT equiped with safety functions - by design, to meet neo-KISS objectives i suppose.  Of course a work-coil can take it indefinitely, but there's no absolute garanty against catastrophic capacitor failure, eventually.  In short there's no economy to make on power capacitors intended for the Mazzilli modules nor its casing, provided the hobbyists can detect potential rejects, clones or fakes...  For that reason i'd much prefer an "Eval Kit" designed by the semiconductor foundry to demonstrate its power-switching products, and now that energy needs to go green high-efficiency transformation never made so much sense.  Most unfortunately the popular Mazzilli modules often restrict the type of semiconductor technology to gamble on and it appears in the present context MOSFETs have been rendered nearly obsolete by Galim Nitride...  So, the next step is to search for Gate Drivers compatible with both MOSFETs & GaN power devices, naturally.

Well, table units can operate on high-voltage, right from the wall-plug.  In that case iGBTs running above 300 Volts would probably have an edge of MOSFETs, or maybe not - i'm not done reading through on-line documentation just yet!

The little i read about power supplies for DV IH-drivers felt like it takes some beaffy animal to compensate for the originel sin...  I'd be wrong to try to be specific but that going to rate in the hundred Watts, maybe 2 if you like to have margins.  The problem is the dumb power driver, looping on itself through cross-connected diodes which expose to a severely "forbiden" state:  it's called interlock by some, shooting-thru by others.  It might be a great idea to try fixing those boards with SiC diodes, supposed to switch states practically instantaneously.  Then maybe the Mazzilli topology shall live again!  But right now i wouldn't want to trust it in its present condition.

Perhaps a strict discipline in folling operational directives may suffice to avoid misadventures as others described.

:yep::yep:

3 hours ago, iShouldCoCo said:

Am I doing this right? I think I have a suitable glass tube... and will improvise a case

large.5f2c670b27820_Screenshot_2020-08-06ShoppingCart-wwwbanggoodcom.png

As long as you've been correctly informed to assume responsability i can only hope you get all the proper assistance it requires.  With both fingers crossed...

Good day, have fun!!  ...  I really mean it.  :realcool:

• Like 1

Hi again,

Sorry about moving that here but i couldn't possibly keep in line with the announced topic...

On 07/08/2020 at 7:06 AM, Wacky Wardrobe said:

I'm not sure why we need them to run at their maximum rating.

That's one excellent reason to argue it was a short-term strategy to select the Mazzilli topology for prototyping purposes, especially while confusion installed over ZVS being about a same thing...

In our present case the claim of doing better using less has blocked the path to easy/convenient PWM pulse "stealing", e.g. in absence of Gate Drivers already equiped with some similar/compatible function(s).  Actually i've seen referals to "blanking" in plasma generators which played audio, it's about "modulating" the time-distribution of PWM pulse in order to allow adjustment, hence including proper control over power output.  Such standby periods would equally make great sense by reducing output power while no delivery tool SUSCEPTOR is present in the workcoil - and there again more strategic choices directly lead to more closed doors - But who wants to deny the fun!!

Just wear protection googles with a kevlar suit during experimentations:woot:

Of course one can shorten his workcoil by half and watch what happens, for example, never caring to consider this seemingly-trivial action nevertheless implies that more energy goes to a resonator's capacitor (or capacitor bank...), and to top it all, even using batteries like a large PSU reserve capacitor with zero AC bypassing where it counts most - go figure, whatever...  Consequently, still having to compensate elsewhere else, etc!...  Even the trend towards low-voltage seems most discuttable, except for e-Cig individuals in need for portability, evidently.  In the later case major trade-offs impose themselves, which means those after table applications are much better off without the artificial limitations from an unfinished prototype.  But that's me.

Hummm...

Anyway here's a recent publication from a "Senior Field Applications Engineer" at Silicon Labs:

Si-Labs-Tech-Talks-Evolution-of-the-Isol

Tech Talks - Evolution of the Isolated Gate Driver in an Energy Conscious World - p9/33 (2020-Jul-1)

« GaN-Gallium Nitride (breakthrough)

• Low(er) voltage, high current
  • Fastest switching (higher dV/dt)
  • Narrow gate drive voltage range »

So if it's about aiming for evolution then it may be about time to investivate GaN power devices and compatible/hybrid MOSFET/iGBT/SiC/GaN Gate Drivers...  All older technologies perform best in applications defying portability, while GaN has that edge it seems.  Just what it takes to render the e-Cig people happy i bet.

Edited by lildaveham

@FarmerPalmersNT Do I need to use a lining of a glass tube inside my coil or can I just connect the coil and power supply and turn it on and the Dynavap m will be heated . Is the coil Live if I touch it will I get electrocuted . Or putt my dynavap in there . 

I have a few pieces of glass tube about an Inch long off an e cig tank . Pyrex I believe . 22 mm across . would that fit ?