Ratdog's shot at the title, pot noodling with the big boys

Day 46 in veg here in the pound and it's about time to flower I think, the pots got roots running down and around the sides/bottom of the pot now.

had a slight accident in letting her dry out and the leaves all curled up (you can still see it now) and it looked like game over tbh, but after raising the light and a good watering she looks to have managed to get over it now.

large.5d62685c30089_potnoodle22508.jpglarge.5d6268603321e_potnoodle2508.jpg

• Like 12

Looking good @ratdog it's a bit of a bitch fluid wise in these pots but I have a suggestion for you to make sure she'll never go totally dry again. 

You just need 1 long wick that sits in a reservoir with the rest coiled around the trunk flat on the compost. I've done a quick mock up for you here - 

large.20190825_122805_compress70.jpg

Personally at your stage in a noodle pot I'd make the wick long enough that it will spiral round and cover as much of the compost with it as you can. In my pic it looks loose to show whats going on but you need to do it alot tighter leaving no space. 

You can then leave it to do its thing and just top up the reservoir everyday in veg and probably twice a day once flowering really gets going. Obviously you'll have to keep an eye on it still but it should deliver enough fluid that you will only need to do small volume feeds on top so required strength nutes but in small amounts.

If your away for a day or two or even more you simply use a larger resevoir and all will be well on your return. 

Hope that helps mate. 

Edited by 2Fat2EatThat
  • Like 7

On 25/08/2019 at 11:57 AM, ratdog said:

a slight accident in letting her dry out and the leaves all curled up (

Alright there @ratdog

Your pot is looking tidy as mate, another real contender right there.

You say the roots are going down the sides and curling around the bottom, sounds like flip time to me, unless of course you want to make it more challenging, 

anyway, 

Take it easy. Jj :skin_up:

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 0:52 PM, 2Fat2EatThat said:

Looking good @ratdog it's a bit of a bitch fluid wise in these pots but I have a suggestion for you to make sure she'll never go totally dry again. 

You just need 1 long wick that sits in a reservoir with the rest coiled around the trunk flat on the compost. I've done a quick mock up for you here - 

large.20190825_122805_compress70.jpg

Personally at your stage in a noodle pot I'd make the wick long enough that it will spiral round and cover as much of the compost with it as you can. In my pic it looks loose to show whats going on but you need to do it alot tighter leaving no space. 

You can then leave it to do its thing and just top up the reservoir everyday in veg and probably twice a day once flowering really gets going. Obviously you'll have to keep an eye on it still but it should deliver enough fluid that you will only need to do small volume feeds on top so required strength nutes but in small amounts.

If your away for a day or two or even more you simply use a larger resevoir and all will be well on your return. 

Hope that helps mate. 

Thanks mate, but if I do use a wick I'll probably stick it in from directly under the pot into the root ball and feed from underneath as space is a problem, but thanks for the suggestion :)

23 hours ago, Jibba jabba said:

Alright there @ratdog

Your pot is looking tidy as mate, another real contender right there.

You say the roots are going down the sides and curling around the bottom, sounds like flip time to me, unless of course you want to make it more challenging, 

anyway, 

Take it easy. Jj :skin_up:

I don't want it any more challenging than it is already, she nearly dried out again on monday lol this pot needs watering twice a day so it is looking like a wick system will need to be employed or it will probably die lol

thanks for popping in :)

you can see clearly the canoeing due to the drying out

large.5d669dcaca339_potnoodle2808.jpg

I have tied a deep pot to the tent post as support for her, I can then put a small reservoir in there if need be, she's sat on upside-down .5 ltr pot inside the bigger one atm

large.5d669dcc2d8d3_potnoodle22808.jpg

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

Looking good mate. Can you educate me on this 'you can see clearly the canoeing due to the drying out' ? 

Thanks mate.

If you look at the edges of the top growth the serrated edges are turning up and over, this is usually caused by low humidity but in my case very low humidity in the form of letting the poor bugger's pot dry out lol they call it canoeing because of the shape. Bottom well-developed leaves are fine.

• Like 6

On 28/08/2019 at 4:33 PM, ratdog said:

this pot needs watering twice a day so it is looking like a wick system will need to be employed or it will probably die lol

It does look like the wick system could work mate and definitely worth a try :yep:

Your doing quite a long veg so those roots are going to drink that water (what's limited) very fast :bong:

Apart from the quick drying out things look to be going really well mate  ;)

Very healthy looking OGKZ, another definite contender  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 9:13 PM, vince noir rock n roll star said:

i hope you pull this off chap ..thats a helluva good looking plant ..

Thanks, vince. The tent seems a lot cooler than the cupboard and it's not dried out once since I put it in there on monday I think. The pot harness seems to be a winner so far, and I'm hoping for minimal stretch as she's in full sun as it were now.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:28 PM, HSO-Mark said:

It does look like the wick system could work mate and definitely worth a try :yep:

Your doing quite a long veg so those roots are going to drink that water (what's limited) very fast :bong:

Apart from the quick drying out things look to be going really well mate  ;)

Very healthy looking OGKZ, another definite contender  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Hello, mark. As I mentioned to vince, the tent seems cooler and she's not dried out since monday and that's with one to two waterings a day and the leaves seem to be looking flatter now so humidity must be better in there also. she's on 2.5ml of fishmix per feed now and hopefully things will carry on it this way.

large.5d6b9db14bfff_potnoodle.jpg

• Like 9

On 01/09/2019 at 11:41 AM, ratdog said:

Hello, mark. As I mentioned to vince, the tent seems cooler and she's not dried out since monday and that's with one to two waterings a day and the leaves seem to be looking flatter now so humidity must be better in there also. she's on 2.5ml of fishmix per feed now and hopefully things will carry on it this way.

Hey buddy :bong:

You definitely Look back on track mate :)

Regular feedings and a stable wet-dry cycle makes all the difference  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 1

Day 12 of flower in the kennels.

Nothing much to report here atm, she does look a tiny bit hungry so will up feed shortly.

large.5d762b53ca6a7_potnoodle9.9_19.jpg

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

Lovely plant mate. Showing the big 'V' for victory sign already. 

giphy.gif

lol

thanks mate, watering has become far easier since starting flowering, once every two days is the average atm

here's hoping lol

• Like 2