Thoughts?

Arshlay

I'm not convinced that's a calcium deficiency.  Could be bugs/pests but that's where my knowledge of that stuff ends I'm afraid. :unsure:

• Like 2

I've bit the bullet and bought a pH pen, pH up and down and ph4 and 7. If I'm going to do this might as well make it right 

There wasn't any need to buy that stuff.  You're using Biobizz and growing in Batmix.  The PH shouldn't be an issue and you'll only reduce the soil's effectiveness by using it.  Doesn't most Batmix have added lime anyway?

Edited by JJJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

There wasn't any need to buy that stuff.  You're using Biobizz and growing in Batmix.  The PH shouldn't be an issue and you'll only reduce the soil's effectiveness by using it.  Doesn't most Batmix have added lime anyway?

Those little yellow marks are turning into holes. I spoke with the biobizz bloke a while back and he said it's always best to pH your water, so if it helps all good. If not oh well Ill have it for next year. 

NIce bush :)

Purely out of habit I always pH my water and feeds, so I know whats going in. Soil/compost and its constituents always have a buffering effect but imo its always best to replicate a favorable environment. It probably doesn'y matter, but won't do any harm as long as the pH is consistent and doesn't fluctuate wildly, which will lead to stress. Good luck man

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HortMan said:

Purely out of habit I always pH my water and feeds

I smoke out of habit doesn't make it a good idea

Soil/compost have a buffering effect

Exactly

best to replicate a favorable environment.

In terms of pH like you said compost does this

It probably doesn'y matter, but won't do any harm

It does matter and it will do harm. Like @JJJ already said the pH adjust can fuck with the micro herd and I believe depending on the type of pH adjust used it can also throw the balance of micro and macro nutrients out causing lockout and deficiencies.

Biobizz themselves say no need to pH adjust unless your solution is wildly out like above 7.

A recent article did tour of big Grow ops and saw a range of pHs in play in the different gardens ranging from 5-7.9. They noted only the high alkaline plants exhibited any deficiencies, and plants fed at the bottom and top range had stunted growth.

• Like 2

As above.  The main reason I grow in compost is so I don't have to mess around with PH.  If I felt it was necessary then I'd probably just grow in coco.

• Like 2

I test my water and feeds as I am in a very hard water area. Tap water sometimes tests out between 7.5 and 7.8. Why make the soil do all the work?

I've always done things by eye and ear and never had issues. But each to their own, although I mostly use my own soil mixes and don't use ones with lots of additives. I prefer to add what I feel they require, when I feel like adding it.

I did emphasize that it is fluctuation in pH that causes stress, not the base pH, which was my point.

Always open to other opinions and will have a read up on those reports thanks

Edited by HortMan
edit
  • Like 1

Aye your tap water might be high but after the nutrients are added what is it then? 

Why make the soil do all the work? Because of the reasons mentioned and the compost is designed to buffer.

Come on mate either you do things by eye or you pH adjust, it's one or the other.

Fluctuation of pH doesn't cause stress. Different nutrients are available to the plant at different pH levels which is why some people fed low pH and let it climb up. 

Im not a horticulturist or a botanist but I've read the opinions of people that are. Oldtimer1 & Blackpoolbouncer can both tell you scientifically why you shouldn't or need to pH adjust, both of them have written about the matter.

This is what I got from biobizz. My plan was to use their range but I'll probably just leave unless anything major happens. large.Screenshot_20190723_130856_com.facebook_orca.jpg

• Like 1

I've used a few different composts with Biobizz and not had an issue till my current crop lol but I don't think mines a pH issue and I doubt you'll have a prob either mate.

'as long as your water is not extremely hard or extremely...?'

I always appreciate input and consider it useful. I will try out some test pots and do some comparisons on my next season outdoor grow.

Good luck with your grow man :smokin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HortMan said:

'as long as your water is not extremely hard or extremely...?'

I always appreciate input and consider it useful. I will try out some test pots and do some comparisons on my next season outdoor grow.

Good luck with your grow man :smokin:

Soft lol

• Like 1