FIRST TENT BUILT and under way!

MAD PROFESSOR

@MAD PROFESSOR well looks like your research has payed off looking good for first time. 

I’ve seem a lot of the false claims to power usage vs output and I would invest in a decent unit as I would want my 600watt results matched. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

are your lights from diyled?

any information on them?

the alien seems to be producing the goods for you. 

ive had a couple of these systems in the past, but the pigs stole them. They are pretty good, but vastly overpriced imho. 

looks like you are gonna smash it, good work fellah

• Like 1

hi @badbillybob

I built up the rigs from a variety of sources

running 32 PCB's via 4x Meanwell HLG-600H-30A drivers 16 - 4000K 16 - 3000K they are the slightly older Samsung LM301b diodes, the current one is the LM301H and I believe that there is a new even more efficient one out shortly! but these combined with the Alien certainly delivered!! the per plant yield was obscene

The Alien system did sure work but totally agree with you that they are ridiculously overpriced. I am looking into building the next system now along the same lines but with a number of improvements and at less than half the price! Pots and pipe seem to be relatively easy to source and reasonable cost but the 4" bulkheads are eye-watering!

• Like 1

yes true, and to be perfectly honest, those huge returns  they don't need to be that big, in the real world. 

The only benefit is knowing 100% that your roots wont block it. 

Heath Robinson (Hydro pioneer) always said to aim for increased velocity of the water through the system, which would be easier with smaller returns, but I suppose you need to have some sort of compromise. 

Before I got busted I had a load of 2 &1/2 inch tank connectors and pipe, which would have been more than big enough for a diy system . (the size and flow rate of the return pump would obviously also have an effect). ALso a consideration when looking at pots is tht the sides need to be as close to 90 degrees as possible. if you have found some at a decent size, like about 40-60 litres, let me know where, cos ive searched for years.

I only use 40mm returns and have never blocked them, and some of the plants ive grown are 6-7 foot tall.

im gonna be building a new system in the next week or so, so let me know soon please, and I might be tempted to go full undrcurrent

edit to add, how much did you get off your last grow with the leds mate?

Edited by badbillybob

HI @badbillybob

This is what I'm working on ATM.

They are 56-litre pots - 4" pipes the round pot is a 30 litre for scale

Last grow yielded between 29-36oz (properly dried weight) per plant, there were a total of 6 plants in a 3x3m tent 

large.IMG_3480.jpglarge.IMG_3481.jpglarge.IMG_3482.jpglarge.IMG_3478.jpg

• Like 1

Not trying to be funny, but seriously,.... are you sure? over 5&1/2 kilos from 6 plants?

where did you get the pots from, if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

funny that's what everyone says. I even went out and bought an expensive set of scales. 191OZ

the pots were imported for me from a Spanish company, I believe that it is the same one that makes the Alien pots

• Like 1

im  not surprised no one believes you.

I certainly don't and ill explain why.

total claimed yield 191 ounces = 5348g

On your first ever grow, in rdwc, you are trying to tell me that you scored 2.5 grams per watt.?

Given that your lights pull 2240 watts and your yield was 5348 grams?

ive grown 26 ounce plants and it took up 1.3 metres round. and about 2 metres high. 

This would have been a tiddler compared to your (average) 31.8 ounce plants.

this would mean that you would need (at least) 4 metres by 4 metre tent, yours is 3 x 3.

The grow shown in this thread is presumably the one you are on about and there is no way on earth that would have yielded 5, sorry.

please don't insult my intelligence, im out of here. 

Good luck with your future dreams....

Edited by badbillybob

@MAD PROFESSOR wow nice setup!!! Been interested in the aliens for quite some time now... looks like your doing great! keep the pics coming, I’m gonna follow this one.... what nutrients are you using?

Hi @Greenhaus

Appreciate the comments

In the nutrient tank I have the following: 

Growth Technology Greenhaze A+B grow/bloom for the first 4 weeks of VEG 2ml per litre and then 4 ml per litre up until they are flipped into flower, Greenhaze is mineral-based and not organic

on the initial system fill I use 6ml per 10 litres of silver bullet roots and after that 2ml per 10l right up to harvest.

usually at week 6-7 of flower, the girls need more 'P' and 'K' so will give a booster for 4-5 days.

then, of course, a good flush just before harvest.

I also foliar feed 2 times a day during the first 2-3 weeks, if your interested, this is the potion that I use and it seems to work very well for getting them established.

per 1 litre of water, oh and this is all RO water.

5ml liquid oxygen

5ml F-D-S Foliar Delivery Agent

5ml Formulex

0.5ml A+B grow

All the best

• 1 month later...
Just now, pepe16 said:

For a first grow, I'm blown away.  Mastering hydro/aero is astounding.    Makes my efforts look feeble in comparison.

• 3 weeks later...