£200 budget, suggestions?

highway_017

Hey uk420, I had a look at some of the complete kits on growell, 600w hps, 1.2m x 1.2m, but only has a 5 inch 280m3 system air fan, am I better buying the £200 kit or what?

i wouldn't buy a kit mate, its all the cheapest of gear and the fan and filter is never big enough for the tent, get yourself a good 6in fan and filter and then if you have to you can get yourself a cheap tent, you can upgrade your tent whenever you want as long as your fan and filter is decent you shouldn't have a problem.

• Like 14

Deffo get a 6" extractor system. I have a 80x180cm tent and 600w hps. The 4" system I got with it doesn't really cut it on hot days. The 5" fans seem to be 4" items with larger diameter fittings whereas the 6" fans are actually beefier units with much better airflow ratings. 

• Like 1

Tbh as hard as it is to hear the kits aren't worth buying mate, I made that mistake at the start, as @craigfjyp has said the fans are way underpowered along with the carbon filter and I have had to upgrade the fan and filter and the lights so in the end your wasting 200 for a tent worth £50, if your stuck with your budget you'd probably get a better deal buying used from gumtree if your willing to risk it, personally I'd be vary wary of anyone selling grow equipment on there but you would get it all cheaper than new even if you needed to replace the bulbs and possibly the filter, whatever you decide though make sure you get a good filter, the rest of the gear only affects the quality of your plants which is also a big deal, but the filter is what keeps you from getting caught so worth it's weight in gold for that alone

• Like 3

If you're just starting you won't need the filter ,or extract straight away,so you may have a fortnight and more to source more money . I would also suggest a second hand website but only if you think it's safe . 

There are other sources ,outside of growshop websites ,that sell extract fans and filters for a fair few quid cheaper ,not standard fans but quiet fans or fans with a wall of insulation to dull the noise and a sitch to control the speed . Same for bulbs ,and feed you need not put the cart before the horse ,there's feed in compost ,and seaweed extract will see you through until early flowering . 

There's a few important items you won't get in a kit . A small bit of neem oil or pest preventative products ,or advice even ! Yeah ,kits my ass .

Edited by Michael Luchóg
  • Like 4

Personally I think the bay6 xl kit is not bad. I have a few of the same brand tent and the dimmable ballast and both are good. Not sure about the extraction kit but I’m a regular at GroWell so I can defiantly speak for the quality of the bay6 tent and it’s good to go if you just need the tent go for it.

Edited by THEDANK

Hmm, I can't really stretch above £200 at the moment, I think these are my options.

600w bay6 magnetic hps
1m x 1m bay6 tent
which is £120 or so, but decent extraction will pretty much cost that again, can't run hps without if of course.

alternitively I could do this

same tent
140w diyleduk uk light for £140
but it will be a fucker trying to get money for extration tbh, I'm not able to work and currently trying to sort everything out

14 minutes ago, highway_017 said:

@THEDANK no light leaks or anything?

No the tent is sound. Good strong material, usual flaps and holes that can be closed or opened. It’s a good value tent. Go for it over any of the cheap net based ones. 

I'd buy everything seperate instead of buying a kit but minimum I think a decent filter and fan will set you back about 60. Mine was 75 and I'm happy with it I can keep my 4x4 tent below 25° pretty easy. Light I'd go for a 600watt hps or equivalent led but hps cheaper and I can't really say much about led. £60 maybe but I'd reccomend spending a bit extra for a dimmable ballast I think mine was less then £90 And I definitely wouldn't go back to a fixed wattage version now . An oscillating fan or 2 maybe £20 your pots growing media etc shouldn't cost a lot you can get 1.2x1.2 tents for 60 I paid 53 for 1 off wish and it's banging for the price not a single fault. cheap as chips lights too on there but personally I'd be too afraid of trusting my home with cheap light from China lol .

Tent 60ish

Light 60ish

Pots soil etc 20ish 

Fan/filter 60ish 

Fans for air flow 20ish

Good luck with your grow

Ps. I built my setup piece by piece believed the little can fan and filter sets were enough or else why would they come with that. It was the very first thing I upgraded on my second run I had nothing but dramas keeping the temps down and it was very hard to get below 25° and this was in winter your environment is key and spending a few quid more on that in your initial setup will definitely make things run smoother all round 

• Like 2

You could just make a grow area out of wood and mylar or use a cupboard or something save yourself a few quid there 

• Like 2

I was going to do something like micheal but it's a rented property and i'm not good at diy really, i'm going to pick up the 1m x 1m bay6 tent and six inch rhino/systemair extraction, then a 600w hps the next week hopefully.

• Like 2

Guest theokoles

600 w digital dimable omega lighting kit with reflector and DS bulb £80 (id only use it on 400w in a 80x80x180)

80X80X180 tent £45 or £65 for the 1x1x2..seen the same 80x80x180 tent for sale elswhere for £120 :huh:

Fox 5" twin speed Fan and filter kit for the 80x180 tent with 400w is fine £75, mates got the same fan, its fine for 3 or 4 plants in his small tent.

My suggestion would be to buy some second hand gear to get you started then upgrade parts as you go. £200 will be a stretch to cover a grow of your size buying everything new