Weed it and reap: My first Dinafem garden grow

PermanentWaves

Really impressive growth over the last week mate, considering the weather very cool  ;)

Showing some nice vigour at this stage :)

Just 1 question if I may?

Will you be staying in those pots or will you do a pot up prior to full flower mode?

I think your going to need a bigger pot  or 2 ;)

Nice outdoor update, Thank you :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark.. 

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 3

Hi, @Dinafem-Mark. These are 16L pots so planned to keep them in there. I used 30L pots last year and the plants were massive. I could only fit one plant in my greenhouse at harvest time last year, which was fine as it was the only one. I’ll have two, maybe three, this autumn so was hoping the slightly smaller pot might keep them a bit smaller. When the weather gets cooler and damper I want to keep them in the greenhouse with the heater and dehumidifier to try to beat the mould so space could be a premium. We have got another greenhouse, but it doesn’t have heating in there.

Do you think it’s too late to defoliate some of the lower branches or can this be done right up to before they start flowering? They’re starting to get quite thick foliage so want to get some light in there if I can.

• Like 2

Just now, PermanentWaves said:

Do you think it’s too late to defoliate some of the lower branches or can this be done right up to before they start flowering?

Can even be done in flower mate well the first 2-4 weeks but if your defoliating get that excess foliage of now my friend then that energy can be used by the remaing plant and will help significantly  ;)

I never took the greenhouse size into consideration mate so best in the pots they are in :yep:

Thanks mate ;)

Mark...

• Like 3

Evening, everyone - hope you’re all well and enjoyed the one-day heatwave. It was pretty hot here yesterday - thank god it was short-lived. At least our girls have been able to enjoy some sunshine at last and the coming week looks good, too.

My Sweet Deep Grapefruit is nine weeks old. I gave her a minor trim on the lower branches and got rid of a few of the fan leaves that had been eaten to death by critters. She’s grown 7 inches this week and is now 42 inches high. She’s almost touching the lower panes of my greenhouse roof - I might have to move her outside full time if she keeps on with this stretching.

large.9EF0D795-220A-4A8C-90D6-F5429929F858.jpeglarge.3CE5DDE4-2CC7-4785-8503-0FD7EB9459FF.jpeg

The Ocean Grown Cookie is also 9 weeks old and she has grown a steady 6 inches.

large.97AE13DF-59D0-4E91-96B1-E587E4E73717.jpeglarge.EF030E31-F34B-4B6F-A911-624083195CD0.jpeg

As I was having a look at them yesterday, I noticed quite a few single, white hairs sprouting from the calyxes. I noticed this happened to the photoperiod I grew last year. She developed these pistils quite early but they died off and then she flowered properly in August. I’m not sure whether the same thing is happening with the Cookie - she can’t be flowering this early, surely?

large.40919D63-2CC5-4A04-9F45-6A82D1B97C51.jpeg

Anyway, something to keep an eye on and I’m sure someone more knowledgeable on here will know.

So another week gone in the Great British Veg Off. I hope the weather stays good for you all this week. We could really do with a break from the rain and cold. See you all next week x

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, PermanentWaves said:

she can’t be flowering this early,

Hopefully she is mate, at least you know she will finish in September then

all looking really healthy too

Good luck

Awesome watching this diary. Can never do enough reading but I really wasn't sure with nutrients so thank you! What fishmix do you use specifically if you don't mind me asking? Looking forward to the updates!

• Like 3

Thanks, @oakland2020. I just use the Biobizz Fish Mix. I also use the Biobizz Bloom when they flower. But that’s it - and I haven’t used them that much so far. They seem very happy with just rainwater.

• Like 3

@PermanentWaves Looking spot on ;)

The only thing I would do different is bigger pots, is this an option mate?

You could easily put them in double size pots and have a bigger end harvest  :yep:

That's the only thing I'd change  :)

Mark..

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 8:12 PM, PermanentWaves said:

she can’t be flowering this early, surely?

Just pre flowers showing which is perfectly normal and expected :yep: She's just showing her sex, We already knew she was a girl but in General seeds grown from none feminized seeds aka "regular" will display sex under 18/6 from week 5-10 ;)

@PermanentWaves Looking spot on ;)

The only thing I would do different is bigger pots, is this an option mate?

You could easily put them in double size pots and have a bigger end harvest  :yep:

That's the only thing I'd change  :)

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 1

Thanks, @Dinafem-Mark. I checked my diary from last year, and last June my photoperiod displayed the same sort of pistils, but then didn’t flower properly until the middle of August, so I had a feeling the same thing was happening. Good to know it’s all normal!

It is tempting to stick them in a bigger pot but room in the greenhouse is an issue. Last year I grew one auto and one photo, which gave me a fantastic harvest. It’s taken me nearly a year to get through four jars and I still have five jars left because I don’t smoke that much. This year I’ve got three, maybe four, plants on the go, so that’s the reason I’ve used smaller pots. I wanted a few more varieties in smaller quantities. :yep:

• Like 2

No dinafem photo plant has ever flowered before August 14th for me I'm sure of it. I've ran pretty much all of their fastest flowering strains outdoors

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Andromedian said:

Plants coming along nicely:punk:

Thanks, @Andromedian - looking forward to seeing some updated shots of your plot. Your girls must be absolute monsters by now!

• Like 3

Just now, PermanentWaves said:

Thanks, @Andromedian - looking forward to seeing some updated shots of your plot. Your girls must be absolute monsters by now!

Monsters is an under statement ha ha we are getting a little worried about what to do come harvest time lol

Not sure when we are back at The Forbidden Zone....got 6 other plots to look after. We used 100 x 6 foot canes to secure them all on our last visit...

Thinking it may be the way to go....growing monsters!:naughty:

• Like 4

Evening, everyone - hope you are all ok.

Not too much to report this week - lots of vegging and enjoying the better weather. 

The Sweet Deep Grapefruit is now 10 weeks old and still stretching nicely. She’s grown another 7 inches this week and is now 49 inches high. She’s also showing lots of those fine pistils. I suppose it’s the cannabis equivalent of lifting up your skirt lol. Here she is - almost as tall as the apple tree!

large.DBFB828E-5279-4313-BE34-C555B2660EAE.jpeglarge.80BDB8CE-4E68-4708-A367-12DED5F24BDB.jpeg

The Ocean Grown Cookie is also 10 weeks old and has grown 4 inches this week. She’s now 38 inches high. She’s showing a lot more of the pre-flowers.

large.86CDA277-28C6-4ACD-98A5-62EB51D3F53E.jpeglarge.AD37058E-8F60-4586-AF20-392EE1A3ECC1.jpeglarge.5E330768-44DF-4D0F-8F8E-DCDB61CFB6C8.jpeg

Both plants are still mainly being fed water - I’ve hardly given them any fish mix. I think the Grapefruit would break the greenhouse roof if I fed her anything. This might change when they start to flower, though, and need a bit of a boost.

So I decided to get all my girls together for a snap. The Grapefruit is on the left; the Cookie is front left. I have a subbie seed (Cream Caramel Auto x Cheese) on the right. I still don’t know whether this one is a girl or boy yet so keeping a sharp eye on her/him. I’m sure it is female. I had another one until a few weeks ago but this turned out to be a boy so he’s undertaking a close inspection of the bottom of the compost heap! And then at the back is a Summer Berry Kush Auto which is 5 weeks into flower.  Not long to go with her hopefully! Needless to say, the greenhouse is starting to get crowded with this lot.

large.20197EDB-57F1-4FA0-BCF0-90DF15256C1A.jpeg

So, 10 weeks gone. All going well so far. Let’s hope this warmer weather keeps up. Looking forward to reading the rest of the Dinafem grow diaries to see how you all are getting on. See you next week with another update x

• Like 8