Weed it and reap: My first Dinafem garden grow

PermanentWaves

Hi, @Dinafem-Mark - they’ve ripened up nicely this week. They’re not very big, but I didn’t expect they would grow that much with the shortening daylight hours, but the pistils have browned up and they are really frosty. No mould found on them this week, although there are lots of spots of stem mould appearing. I’ll probably harvest the rest the end of this week. Hopefully enough for another jar or two. :thumsup:

• Like 1

On 23/10/2019 at 0:38 PM, PermanentWaves said:

I’ll probably harvest the rest the end of this week. Hopefully enough for another jar or two. :thumsup:

Good luck buddy  :yep:

All the best  :bong:

Mark.. 

• Like 1

Evening, all - hope you’re all doing ok.

Well, it’s is coming to the end of the 2019 season. The last harvest is in. The rest of the Ocean Grown Cookie had to come down at the weekend. The popcorn buds had a chance to ripen over the last week and a half - they weren’t massive, but at least I was able to harvest a bit more. The stem rot that appeared a few weeks ago had started to spread all over the branches so I couldn’t risk leaving it any longer otherwise I would have lost the lot.

Here’s a few pics of the last buds from the harvest.

large.D9D4E455-005E-441B-9134-4F250D4CBF99.jpeg

large.300728FE-A825-4849-BF8D-152D2E81D819.jpeg

They were incredibly sticky, despite their size and were smelling lovely - that earthy fruit bowl smell. Despite the stem rot all over the branches, there were only a couple of small bits of mould in the flowers, which was lucky.

Here’s the last tray for 2019 - enough for a couple more jars:

large.E57318B3-C238-4906-A405-429AFB83AE94.jpeglarge.02555A14-E174-470D-8B3E-B0D888FF0E5D.jpeg

It’ll be interesting to see how these later buds smoke. The first lot, which I didn’t hold much hope for, is so strong. It’s definitely not a daytime strain. Both the OGC and the Sweet Deep Grapefruit are now well into their cures so I will do a final smoke report in the next week or so. I have to say I’m really impressed with the flavours from both.

So that’s the last growing diary entry - just a final smoke entry to come for this year. It’s a relief to get that last plant down. I’m on tenterhooks all summer thinking someone’s going to discover my plants so it’s such a relief to finish off. I can’t wait for the day when we can grow a few in the garden without fear of being caught. It’s been an odd summer - mould has been prevalent throughout for just about everyone. Even the ‘safe’ greenhouse couldn’t cope with the damp and humidity. I hope next year is a bit drier. It can’t be long before someone creates a completely mould-free strain - they’d make a killing in the UK!

Anyway - on with the drying and curing. I’ll puff my way back in a week or so with a quick report on these delicious Dinafem strains. Take care, everyone xx

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PermanentWaves said:

The last harvest is in. The rest of the Ocean Grown Cookie had to come down at the weekend. The popcorn buds had a chance to ripen over the last week and a half - they weren’t massive, but at least I was able to harvest a bit more

Good call on harvesting those lowers mate ;)

They looked very, Very close and put on some decent weight since the main colas were harvested  :yep:

Another 2019 outdoor grow diary is over, now it's time to get those flowers dry and cure  :cheers:

You did a fine job this season mate and I've thoroughly enjoyed following along  ;)

Same time next year? 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

Thanks, @Dinafem-Mark - definitely thinking about next year already. I was thinking that 2020 could be the year of the autos for me, but one of our neighbours has just offered us his greenhouse (which is bigger and taller than the one I’m currently using) for £20 so that might change - lol! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PermanentWaves said:

Thanks, @Dinafem-Mark - definitely thinking about next year already. I was thinking that 2020 could be the year of the autos for me, but one of our neighbours has just offered us his greenhouse (which is bigger and taller than the one I’m currently using) for £20 so that might change - lol! 

If it's decent for £20 grab it mate ;)

Even if you don't grow weed in it for that price you'll make good use of it :yep:

If it was me I'd fill it with pot plants lol

That's just me though  ;)

Mark..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the fruits of your harvests! This is the last diary entry for me for 2019. it’s not been the best growing season - even here in the usually parched East Anglia. The mould threat was prevalent throughout the summer and autumn and I’ve been lucky to have been able to harvest enough to keep me going until next autumn (I hope)! I think more autos staggered over the summer might be a better bet for next year. It’s lovely seeing 10ft plants in your garden but the stress of keeping them hidden and battling the autumn elements is too much.

The Ocean Grown Cookie and Sweet Deep Grapefruit have been curing nicely over the last month so I thought I’d do a final taste and effect report. Both girls were harvested a little bit earlier than I hoped due to mould threat, but I’ve been amazed at what they’ve been like.

Sweet Deep Grapefruit

Smell: By far the most delicious-smelling strain I have grown so far. Even during vegging, the leaves were giving off a sweet citrus odour. When first harvested, all I could smell was sherbet lemon drops. A month in and that sharp lemon is still there but with softer, sweeter undertones. When I open the jar, I know exactly what strain it is; it’s so distinctive. 
Flavour: Through my Pax 3, this is a strain that tastes exactly how it smells - blooming lovely. Those first few hits through the vape fill your mouth with citrus terpenes. It’s such a nice strain to vape. I don’t get the same flavour smoking a joint - then again, I struggle to identify flavours via combustion. It just tastes like burnt weed to me. I occasionally get a hint of flavour, but I much prefer the vape if I want to savour the taste. 

Effects: This is an Indica dominant strain. Through the vape, it’s not overly strong. The effects come on gradually and build up slowly. I get the warm tingling in my legs, spreading upwards, and then I feel like I’m in a warm massaging blanket. It’s a good strain for chilling and watching TV - nice body relaxation but doesn’t give too much couch-lock. Through a joint, it’s much more hard hitting. I have joint hyper mobility syndrome, so it’s great for easing that back pain, and great just before bed for sleeping. Definitely a good daytime, relaxation smoke - you can still function and do stuff without getting welded to the sofa.

Ocean Grown Cookie

Smell: During vegging, it only started to smell right towards the end, but it’s a nice, fruity odour. It’s not one that used to hit me when I opened the greenhouse door - quite earthy, not too pungent. After a bit of a cure, it still smells soft and fruity - like opening a jar of berry jam. Ground up, it’s very similar; fruity with a bit of earthiness. 
Flavour: This strain has completely caught me by surprise. I was expecting a taste similar to other fruity strains I have grown - nothing distinctive, but pleasant enough. What can I say - wow! Though the Pax, the terpenes are incredible. It’s like orange and cinnamon. It doesn’t taste anything like it smells. This is definitely the tastiest strain I have tried so far. Again, smoking it through a joint doesn’t give me the same flavours, but through the Pax is a different matter.

Effects: I got two harvests out of this girl. The later harvest is a bit stronger, but I dread to think what it might have been like if I’d managed to let her mature even longer. She is strong. Again, she’s Indica dominant, but this one’s a proper couch-lock strain for me. After rendering my body useless, she goes straight to my eyes and sucks all the moisture out and glues them shut! If my back is really painful, this is the one to really sort it out. This isn’t a strain to watch TV or play the XBox - your eyes will be shut within a few minutes. This is my bedtime buddy. I love her - she knocks me out when needed. She’s a fantastic medicinal strain.

So that’s it for another year. Thank you everyone for following the diary and helping out with advice and encouragement. As a noob, I really appreciate it and I always learn so much from the forum. It’s been fun following everyone else’s diaries - let’s hope next year is a bit less stressful for everyone.

And the biggest thanks go to @Dinafem-Mark for supplying the seeds and support. These two strains have definitely converted me to the Dinafem growers’ family.

Roll on 2020! xx

large.A4738895-0832-4BA5-B93A-B1D0C9D207DF.jpeg

• Like 3

Congratulations my friend,great grow and write up.

I've done the DSG indoors and agree whole heartedly with both its flavour and hit. Hopefully I can run it again sometime.

I admire you outdoor growers as you surrender so much control over every part of the process to mother nature and its elements let alone the risks of other human eyes.

I used to smoke it neat but bought a Da Buddha Vape a while back and havnt burnt anything since because every time I've tried its tastes absolutely awful now, much as you describe yourself. Having smoked it perfectly happily like that for over 30yrs it makes no sense but I'm far better of now.

Top work man and hope you pull it out the bag again next year.

I second your respects to @Dinafem-Mark a more helpful, knowledgeable and genuinely top chap you'll never find.

Edited by 2Fat2EatThat
  • Like 3

Thanks, @2Fat2EatThat - yes, I’ve always admired people who can pick out the intricate flavours from joints or bongs. It’s just smoke to me. I could never pick out the flavours in wines, either - it always baffled me how someone could taste marshmallows, unicorn tears, cherries and tree bark from a Tesco Chardonnay! 

• Like 3

On 10/11/2019 at 0:28 PM, 2Fat2EatThat said:

I second your respects to @Dinafem-Mark a more helpful, knowledgeable and genuinely top chap you'll never find.

Aww, that's made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol

Very kind works, thank you  :yep:

@PermanentWavesEnding your 2019 outdoor adventure in style  ;)

Thanks for the great diary this year and for ending the diary with a kick ass smoke report  :headbang:

Take note people. This is how you end a diary with style  ;)

Same time next season @PermanentWaves ?

All the best :bong:

Mark..

• Like 1