A Pirates HSO Voyage 2019

lattitudepirate1

13 minutes ago, Andromedian said:

We did the same...says September, which means October of course lol

I have just put ours into soak......we'll see how they get on

@Andromedian does that mean the fridge is empty and they are now out ??

Just now, bubbleguppie said:

@Andromedian does that mean the fridge is empty and they are now out ??

Not yet mate....

got some out, the rest are going out this weekend

the fridge has gone, needed the room....much better now

• Like 2

Ahoy all,

Thought id reach out to the HSO outdoor gang growing this year or past years...

Is or has anyone else struggled with germinating Bubbas Gift? 

The first two beans popped little tap roots but never appeared above soil. 

Two more beans went into soak on Monday and neither is showing signs of cracking yet. 

Ive been using the wet paper towel method for years so I dont feel like this is my problem. The soil mix I potted the first two on into is from the same mix that was used for the Dinafem and also RGS seeds without any noticeable issues. 

Failing these two seeds germinating/ being viable - it will leave me with the last and smallest bubba seed out the lot to try. Maybe she will be the surprise banker? maybe she will be the performer we thought would never perform?

Its making me feel like a right noob but what can you do? I feel like i've done everything by the book, checked everything twice and still these seeds wont grow for me!. :wallbash:

Any ideas @Dinafem-Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lattitudepirate1 said:

Ahoy all,

Thought id reach out to the HSO outdoor gang growing this year or past years...

The first two beans popped little tap roots but never appeared above soil. 

Two more beans went into soak on Monday and neither is showing signs of cracking yet. 

Ive been using the wet paper towel method for years so I dont feel like this is my problem. The soil mix I potted the first two on into is from the same mix that was used for the Dinafem and also RGS seeds without any noticeable issues.

Not buubas gift but with te loast coast auto 2 i potted in cling didnt make and one that went into the towel poped here head but the helmet was still on , (didnt get any further )  used the same method for my auto ducks and one auto night queen (dutch passion ) they all came up sound. Just my two pennies and input to the question dude. Ive still got the cheese that im saveimg for later on in the seasonthose are dinafem all though i did ask for the cheese uk auto but hey ho . I may actualy end up buying some beans from rgcs for another planned outdoor sketch. 

Edited by bubbleguppie

@bubbleguppie It may just be bad luck dude, I hope thats all it is. The last thing I need is the curse of the DGF - the 'deathly green finger'! :P (not to be confused with RGS DFG of course!)  I may even join you and opt for some more last min photo beanies if I cant get these girls to  germinate or i'm just left with the Dinafem critical girls for photos. 

@Andromedian Hey buddy, just wondered if you had any success with getting the bubba babies up yet? 

Just had a look in my paper towel and one of the seeds is beginning to shed its seed husk but theres no sign of any roots :sadwalk:

One seed is showing a little tap root but i'm hesitant to get it in soil too early yet after the previous two. 

The pictures of these girls look stunning, I just cant for the life of me figure out where i'm going wrong! 

Cheers and all the best guys,

LP

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lattitudepirate1 said:

@Andromedian Hey buddy, just wondered if you had any success with getting the bubba babies up yet? 

Sappnin Dude.....

Well, you had me worried at first, so decided to start them before I put the others out....

I put 5 x Bubbas Gift and 5 x Bubba Kush into soak on Monday night. Tuesday night, all the Bubbas Gift had long tap roots and went into soil....they are all starting to rise up out of the soil now, so no problems with these. The Bubba kush took another day....all now popped and going into soil tonight....that's 100% all round mate.

You have to be doing something wrong somewhere maybe, could be a bad batch of seeds, who knows.....what are you soaking them in? kitchen roll?? what are you using for soaking fluid?...tap water???

where are you keeping them whilst soaking???

Us, well we don't do anything special to germ seeds.....basically....Unbleached kitchen roll, soak in water(think I used Evian), fold over and put in a warm cupboard, and make sure they don't dry out.

:yep:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lattitudepirate1 said:

Yes mate. If you check the Pot noodle challenge thread we used Bubbas Gift for that competition and the hardest part was the germination stage. Some members had no issues other members we sent 3-4 packs to and they could not crack one. It's a strange one as they all came from the same batch.

We did find that the "paper towel tech" worked the best compared to being planted direct into the medium/jiffy7/rootriots etc

Drop me a pm mate and I'll see if I can drop a few more in the post. I would definitely try a different germination tech ;)

@Andromedian Have you started your Bubbas Gift buddy?

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 2

@Andromedian Scrap the above question mate I've just caught up with your diary ;)

@lattitudepirate1 if you check the Aliens grow on page 8 you will see a very successful Bubbas Gift germination from the same batch if seeds as yours  :yep:

Imo it's a germination tech issue ;) and conditions do need to be monitored  :)

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andromedian said:

Us, well we don't do anything special to germ seeds.....basically....Unbleached kitchen roll, soak in water(think I used Evian), fold over and put in a warm cupboard, and make sure they don't dry out.

:yep:

Using the KISS (Keep It Simple Stoner) tech lol

Clearly back to basics works for this tricky to germinate lady ;)

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HSO-Mark said:

Using the KISS (Keep It Simple Stoner) tech lol

Clearly back to basics works for this tricky to germinate lady ;)

Kind regards 

Mark..

Exactly mate...…

Using evian, rather than tap water, is not a preference by the way....as long as your water isn't harder than Danny Dyer, then anything will do...

• Like 2

@Andromedian  @HSO-Mark 

Hi chaps. cheers for getting back to me so quickly! 

Bit of kitchen towel in a Q sized baggie is my method, its actually the same bit of paper towel which I germinated the white widow autos in so i'm guessing it cant be that. Water - was straight from the tap but all the other plants including many tomatoes, courgette, runner bean and also lettuce seedings were all started indoors and although not started in paper towels - were watered with water straight from the tap. (Only once the plants go outside do they then get water from the water butts) 

The beans get put in the paper towel and gently pressed to ensure good contact with the moist towel & then placed on top of a hifi speaker, it gets very gently warm on top. I would guess no more than 22c. Ill check the paper towel tomorrow and get update you then. If I really am that unlucky that none survive then ill drop you a DM Mark - for now lets just keep the fingers and toes crossed! 

Cheers guys, 

LP

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, lattitudepirate1 said:

@Andromedian  @HSO-Mark 

Hi chaps. cheers for getting back to me so quickly! 

Bit of kitchen towel in a Q sized baggie is my method, its actually the same bit of paper towel which I germinated the white widow autos in so i'm guessing it cant be that. Water - was straight from the tap but all the other plants including many tomatoes, courgette, runner bean and also lettuce seedings were all started indoors and although not started in paper towels - were watered with water straight from the tap. (Only once the plants go outside do they then get water from the water butts) 

Tap water not a problem mate.....scratching my head, sounds like you are doing nothing wrong....

try warming it up a bit maybe....just keep an eye on drying out....:g:

• Like 2

@Andromedian Will do mate, ill try above the radiator with a bit of paper on top to stop the direct contact with heat. The seeds are in a zip lock baggie so the moisture can only evaporate up the bag and then run back down. 

Cheers dude! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lattitudepirate1 said:

@Andromedian Will do mate, ill try above the radiator with a bit of paper on top to stop the direct contact with heat. The seeds are in a zip lock baggie so the moisture can only evaporate up the bag and then run back down. 

Cheers dude! 

I find if using a radiator. Put the paper towel into a Tupperware box, leave one corner open and put in a towel on the radiator  ;)

As @Andromedian has said just keep a close eye on things so the paper towel dies not dry out ;)

Best of luck with your next attempt mate. If that fails drop that PM  :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 2

Hey chaps,

With the radiator method, I chuck a couple of bits of paper across the top of a 'double radiator' to create a platform to prevent too much heat.

So I checked the seeds yesterday - one looks to be as it should, small taproot reaching out from her shell - she's in compost and in the greenhouse now, also in the propagator with lid ajar. 

The second seed was mushy, literally looked like squeezing a spot. The outer husk had started to peel away leaving behind the inner seed guts. 

Im going to throw the last bubba's gift seed straight in compost as if it was any normal seed. So far 2/4 have germinated small tap roots. 1/2 to develop its taproot did nothing more. 

I want to say its the beans - they're half the size of anything else in the seed collection and look very pale and blonde. 

I took some pics of the seeds yesterday during planting - so ill pop some pictures up later to show whats going on. (not that its that interesting looking at seeds) 

The blue dreams are loving life, they have been slip potted on & look a beautiful deep green raring to go! 

Cheers & atb

LP

• Like 2