Germinating old seeds

I germed some late last year that were time stamped 2014 and had 100% germ rate out of 4 seeds, different from you though as they're not as old and stored in my fridge.

@Peregrine mentions GA3, here's an interesting video from VadeOG using it to germ old seeds, worth a watch...

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Serpent said:

I germed some late last year that were time stamped 2014 and had 100% germ rate out of 4 seeds, different from you though as they're not as old and stored in my fridge.

@Peregrine mentions GA3, here's an interesting video from VadeOG using it to germ old seeds, worth a watch...

Mate that's awesome, thanks for posting this. Definitely going to get some of that now. 

• Like 1

So I checked what seeds I have... 

7 x og raskal white strawberry

10 x og raskal white fire

8 x top dawg tre star dawg

8 x top dawg guava 13

8 x motarebel apollo 13 f4's

8 x gorilla grape f2's

8 x cali connect jedi kush

6 x cali connect tahoe og

Really don't know what to go for first, how many and how much GA3 to use if any! Suggestions welcome. 

Also they are all in original individual packaging, hard plastic seed packs with foam and grains of rice, those are in dvd cases then the dvd cases in a bag in a jiffy envelope in a bigger bag... So basically aside from the room temperature they have been stored well! 

Edited by Owl
  • Like 2

I’d follow the dosage used in the video - 250 parts/million.

Gonna grab some GA3 myself and use it at that dosage if I try to pop older seeds. It seems to work well.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I’d follow the dosage used in the video - 250 parts/million.

Gonna grab some GA3 myself and use it at that dosage if I try to pop older seeds. It seems to work well.

It was actually the 100ppm that worked out best for his test though after the germination stage wasn't it, but like he alludes to afterward, it's likely different depending on the particular strain and how old they are etc. I really wan't to give these seeds the best chance of popping especially the non fem seeds like the guava 13 as a friend back in the day got some incredible phenos out of that stock.

I suppose i just need to bite the bullet and go for it, if I can get one good healthy female i'll just veg her up and start a round of clones as I'm not in any rush. I haven't grown for 6 years or so so my knowledge and skills are going to be rusty, so i'm tempted to try something I'm less precious about. That batch of og raskal crosses produced bomb-proof healthy plants so i might start with the White Fire as i have run both The White and Fire OG crosses in the past and were both awesome.

Suggest you soak more than you need and be selective.

IME if the seed are not stored in a cool place they may well germinate but some are likely to be a lot better than others..

Best of luck

• 2 years later...

How did the germination go? 

Any luck? 

I'm about to try and pop some seeds from around 2007-2010 stored in a very similar way, incorrectly but have since been sitting in a fridge for a year. 

Last attempt with soaking them in water and another time with coconut water failed. 

Some cracked but the taproot never made it out and they turned to mush. 

Haven't tried h2o2 yet. 

On 14/08/2021 at 2:26 PM, Thai Stick said:

Last attempt with soaking them in water and another time with coconut water failed. 

Try giving the seed shells a light scuff with fine sandpaper before planting. Some folks line a matchbox with sandpaper, add the seeds to the matchbox, then shake it vigorously for a minute or so. :)  

• Like 4
On 20/03/2019 at 5:49 PM, Kipper420 said:

And those seed that I made are better but not ideal. Plus my storage has been horrendous .

Maybe I'll look at some GA3 . I've started storing my seed in the fridge now.

I wouldn't give up on them. I've never stored my seeds in a fridge just in sealed containers somewhere that doesn't have extreme temperature changes. The seeds I have are part of a 12-18 month timeline. How old the seeds are when I get them is unknown.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Saddam said:

Try giving the seed shells a light scuff with fine sandpaper before planting. Some folks line a matchbox with sandpaper, add the seeds to the matchbox, then shake it vigorously for a minute or so. :)  

Tried that, didnt seem to do anything

Even ive gently scraped the seed where the two halves of the seed shell join together.
It has helped in cracking open but then they just get stuck, taproot barely just poking out and they dont go any further along.

Last thing i might try is h2o2 3% soak for 10 minutes followed by soaking in coconut water and aloe vera for 24hrs, followed by a quick dunk in h2o2 to kill off any bacteria before transferring onto a wet paper tower until it cracks open.

Not many attempts left lol

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

Tried that, didnt seem to do anything

Honestly man, are you trolling or just some sort of fuckwit? :unsure:  Did you really expect to signs your old seeds have germinated in the 9 hours since I advised you to scuff them? :russian: 

Plant the fucking things, wet the medium, then leave them alone in a warm place until the seedlings break the surface.  Give them at least two weeks. 

Edited by Saddam
23 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

h2o2 3% soak for 10 minutes

24 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

soaking in coconut water and aloe vera for 24hrs

24 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

followed by a quick dunk in h2o2 to kill off any bacteria

Because this always happens in nature? lol     

Lord Humungus says 'there has been too much fuckwittery, too much pain. But I have an honourable compromise. Plant the seed and just walk away. Just walk away and there'll be an end to the horror'.

:tv_horror:  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Saddam said:

Honestly man, are you trolling or just some sort of fuckwit? :unsure:  Did you really expect to signs your old seeds have germinated in the 9 hours since I advised you to scuff them? :russian: 

Plant the fucking things, wet the medium, then leave them alone in a warm place until the seedlings break the surface.  Give them at least two weeks. 

Might have tried it before you suggested it perhaps lol

• Like 4

Idk, if you drowned me in water for 24 hours, then coconut water, and aloe vera,  then dipped me in 3% H2O2, I'd probably turn to mush too. lol  

• Like 4