Germinating old seeds

After about 6 years out of the grow game I'm about to get started again. I amassed a lot of knowledge and experience over many years before I stopped and it's hard to believe just how much I have forgotten in my old age! I have got some amazing gems from circa 6-10 years ago, some real fire if I can get them popped right but they haven't been stored especially well (dry and out of direct light though) so I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with old seeds as it would be a real shame to fuck these up. I have never used a seed booster, is this recommended? Any tips tricks or last resorts to get these started would be much appreciated. Peace. 

If they do the plants will probably be all warped and fucked up for the first few weeks, that’ll grow out don’t bin them off or anything mate lol 

• Like 1

just spoke to someone within the last 30mins telling them I cracked some 6-year-old seeds recently with no problems ..stored in Tupperware in the fridge 

• Like 3

As you say the older the seed the harder to germinate.

Ive been trying to germ 20+ yr old seed wth no success yet.

mine where badly stored.

Ive tried soaking them paper towel method with warm rain water and also seaweed extract and now h2o2 soaking too.

No luck so far. I will persist. 

Jorge Cervantes names a product in his cannabis encyclopaedia but I can't remember what.

Google it too.

• Like 1

GA3 or otherwise known as Gibberelic Acid, freely available on Amazon/Fleabay

You should read up about it, very interesting to know how it works. Definitely worth you giving it a bash :yep:

• Like 1

I germed some beans from 2006 only 4 months ago. 4 out of 5 germed no problems and they grew perfectly, just like new stock

You could just bung them in the fridge in an airtight container for a week then try and germinate them or put them straight into the medium of your choice and just see how they go

Owd

• Like 2
16 hours ago, nl5 said:

If they do the plants will probably be all warped and fucked up for the first few weeks, that’ll grow out don’t bin them off or anything mate lol 

Cheers Pal, No way would I throw these babies out if they sprout...fingers crossed!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Jimboo said:

just spoke to someone within the last 30mins telling them I cracked some 6-year-old seeds recently with no problems ..stored in Tupperware in the fridge 

Unfortunately, mine haven't been in the fridge, just in the spare room and have been moved around a few houses and in various temps. They are sealed in bags and plastic pots. Really hope it's not been too long! Good to know people have has success though.

16 hours ago, Kipper420 said:

mine where badly stored.

Ive tried soaking them paper towel method with warm rain water and also seaweed extract and now h2o2 soaking too.

Jorge Cervantes names a product in his cannabis encyclopaedia but I can't remember what.

Google it too.

Thanks for the reply bro, how were yours stored? I'm going to try one normally first and see how it goes then maybe look to try various other methods. Good luck with yours buddy!

16 hours ago, Peregrine said:

GA3 or otherwise known as Gibberelic Acid, freely available on Amazon/Fleabay

You should read up about it, very interesting to know how it works. Definitely worth you giving it a bash :yep:

This sounds really interesting mate, sounds like there could be some side effects but if they don't germ naturally i'll give this a bash.

16 hours ago, Owderb said:

I germed some beans from 2006 only 4 months ago. 4 out of 5 germed no problems and they grew perfectly, just like new stock

You could just bung them in the fridge in an airtight container for a week then try and germinate them or put them straight into the medium of your choice and just see how they go

Owd

This is good to hear bro, what would be the purpose of putting them in the fridge now after they have been stored in normal air temps for years? You think it will help wake them up?

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Kipper420 said:

mine where badly stored.

Google it too.

Just to add mate I have just had a decent read about what Pergrine recommended above, GA3 Gibbrellic Acid. Sounds like if you aren't having any luck then this could be a really good thing to try as it sends the chemical message to the seed when it's dormant. Here is some good info bro http://www.gardenfundamentals.com/ga3-gibberellic-acid-speeds-up-seed-germination/ 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Owl said:

This is good to hear bro, what would be the purpose of putting them in the fridge now after they have been stored in normal air temps for years? You think it will help wake them up?

Its to mimic winter. Seeds fall and get buried and then have to survive cold temps then when it warms they germinate

My seeds are kept in the fridge in an airtight container all the time

Owd

• Like 6

It's worth looking to see if the seed looks mature. Most of the seed I have is not viable from the off, since I guess the grower at the time was not interested in the seed.

And those seed that I made are better but not ideal. Plus my storage has been horrendous .

Maybe I'll look at some GA3 . I've started storing my seed in the fridge now.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Kipper420 said:

It's worth looking to see if the seed looks mature. Most of the seed I have is not viable from the off, since I guess the grower at the time was not interested in the seed.

And those seed that I made are better but not ideal. Plus my storage has been horrendous.

Maybe I'll look at some GA3 . I've started storing my seed in the fridge now.

The seeds I have are top genetics from good sources and to look at they seem fat and healthy so assume they were viable at one stage at least. I'm going to have to decide which seeds i'm going to try first then document what i do and what works in the trial and error. That way i can give the best seeds i have the best chance. I'll put up a diary if i get any going and anyone is interested.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Owderb said:

Its to mimic winter. Seeds fall and get buried and then have to survive cold temps then when it warms they germinate

My seeds are kept in the fridge in an airtight container all the time

Owd

Cheers bro, that makes perfect sense, wish I had stored them better but unfortunately don't have a time machine!

• Like 1