Lemon Dizzle + Kushty BX LED Grow

Reflektor

Better late than never! Finally got my arse in gear and managed to pop a couple each of Lemon Diz and Kushty (+1 CBD med).

Have been real short of time recently with a new addition at home so I broke all my own rules and rushed the propogation of the seeds and grow room set up. All seeds popped after 72hrs, which is always great to see, I popped them straight into a hot soil (HG Batmix) as I was woefully unprepared and didn’t realise I was out of potting soil. This is actually my first regular grow (all autos previously) so I figured what the heck - let’s see what they can handle!

As mentioned though, my grow room has been as low as 12/13deg at night, and I’ve only just stabilised it at 16.5deg over the last day or two. Hence for 12 days old they’re looking at least 4 or 5 days behind plan.. do you lot agree? 

I suspect colder temps temps plus hot soil may have stunted/shocked them, but they look healthy enough. 

Shall I maybe give em some more juice? Currently under veg LED only, so probably only getting around 100W true. 

I have 1200W total to play with (600W true).

This will be a light feed grow, Cal Mag/Tomorite for veg, Old Timer organic when in bloom. Keen to see what my usual Auto feeding will produce with regs. Managed 4oz from best plant on last grow so was starting to get the hang of them - will be great if I get that (or more) from each plant this time around. Have 450W more power this time too, so hoping that helps.

12 days in, looking a few days behind:

large.3EEB363D-16D9-4B39-9DE0-33A7584AAD03.jpeg

Don’t you just love peeking in on them through the peephole?

large.DA763A05-8D7C-4250-9E5F-A124AC28620E.jpeg

Edited by Reflektor
  • Like 2

Just realised the actual age on first post was more like 9-10 days. 

Todays photos taken at 11-12 days. with the 2nd true set of leaves poking through on all 5 now. Temps pretty stable at just under 17deg, but I’ve added 2x T5 lamps today, partly for the plants to get to try some additional spectrum, but mainly to add a fraction more warmth into the grow room. It’s only 60W extra but I’ll expect to see temps another degree or so higher when I check tomorrow. 

large.9177FE0F-B3F7-429C-997F-66EE712406CC.jpeglarge.4E9EF01D-3992-4278-A071-5112897E4FA3.jpeglarge.D3C233A6-937A-42FB-8B92-439297B09226.jpeg

Edited by Reflektor
  • Like 2

Quick update: what a difference a couple days makes. Sure enough, the T5s have raised the temps to a rock steady 18deg, and as a result all the seedlings are practically doubling in size daily.

Lesson learned on how critical the temp regulation is for happy plants.

Edited by Reflektor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Day 24 - finally set up grow room how I want it, with all LEDs in place and benefit of a dehumidifier. Temps at 22deg, RH at 60%.

All the Dizzle and Kushtys are looking healthy and happy, if a tad short. Unfortunately my odd plant (a CBD special from Queen Seeds) looks to have turned out to be my first little mutant. What do you reckon guys, cull her or let her grow and see what she produces?

Bit gutted either way as it was intended solely for a friend whom suffers with fibromyalgia. The only silver lining is that I had not taken into account how much larger footprint these pots take up over the 11l ones I typically use for autos, so I’m struggling to give concentrated coverage for 5 plants from my 3 lamps. I think 4x plants may end up being the best way forward anyway.

large.0779296C-6C1D-4CA7-B1B6-E7E248FD6091.jpeglarge.E68C93B1-82EE-4AD3-A0EA-8403989A56A6.jpeg

And here’s the suspected mutation

large.7470EF6F-05CF-4A15-8F96-71DCF1AA5F37.jpeg

• Like 2

Day 28 - 5 has become 4, the mutant had been banished so I’m left with 4 rather lovely Real Gorrilla plants. All looking healthy and happy, just starting to see a stretch within last 48hrs. They look possibly a few days behind but I just realised that I should be running the lights on full spectrum (not just veg), I’ve had the center panel on full spectrum but the others are on veg, will switch them to full spectrum this evening and see how the girls react.

large.B3CE8AEE-CB45-4721-9445-C731C724748D.jpeglarge.A98CB759-FEED-4161-A990-D4EDD99FEC3C.jpeg

Edited by Reflektor
  • Like 5

Just now, panik said:

There not huge stretchers in flower mate so give them a nice veg ,.. :yep: 

So just keep them growing till I’m happy with the height before switching? 

• Like 1

Just now, Reflektor said:

So just keep them growing till I’m happy with the height before switching? 

:yep: 

They might double in size with good conditions,..

Edited by panik

Day 33. Have had to give one of the BXs a right good bending over as she was getting too tall for her boots. Never really played around with LST to any great extent so keen to see what effect this has. Managed to carefully tie down pretty much all branches without any breakage, what do you think of my technique?... :unsure:

large.AA930804-A185-4D97-A05B-2F2A2EDF73D4.jpeglarge.C4AE80DB-7ED6-45F9-B8E9-2FF0C877CCB9.jpeg

• Like 3

Day 36 since breaking soil - it never ceases to amaze me just how quickly these plants take off when given the right conditions. Looking back through images from just a few days old it’s bonkers how much they change. Isn’t this just the greatest hobby?!

Managed to finally get around to bending them all over this evening. I may have left this process a little late into the veg, but they seem to still be responding well.

Pre-LST, looking nice and healthy.

large.E772345E-64B3-4290-B2F2-A7E48030EFF1.jpeg

Some nice bendy action on the first plant

large.1E1C5083-EE0F-46C1-9686-760309695331.jpeg

All bent over.

large.58898614-9036-4D21-9331-DB71F1705D44.jpeg

@panik - being that this is my first go at photoperiod, how far would you say these currently look from beeing ready to switch to flower? I’m guessing 2 or 3 more weeks but perhaps I’m way off?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Reflektor said:

Day 36 since breaking soil - it never ceases to amaze me just how quickly these plants take off when given the right conditions. Looking back through images from just a few days old it’s bonkers how much they change. Isn’t this just the greatest hobby?!

Managed to finally get around to bending them all over this evening. I may have left this process a little late into the veg, but they seem to still be responding well.

Pre-LST, looking nice and healthy.

large.E772345E-64B3-4290-B2F2-A7E48030EFF1.jpeg

Some nice bendy action on the first plant

large.1E1C5083-EE0F-46C1-9686-760309695331.jpeg

All bent over.

large.58898614-9036-4D21-9331-DB71F1705D44.jpeg

@panik - being that this is my first go at photoperiod, how far would you say these currently look from beeing ready to switch to flower? I’m guessing 2 or 3 more weeks but perhaps I’m way off?

Looking good mate , as for switching I wouldn’t go to big with the veg in a tent as they may stretch out of control unless your thinking of super cropping all through veg, I normally go no taller than 18 inches from the top of the pots which will leave decent sized plants in full flower.. :yep: 

• Like 3

Thanks mate. In which case I need to consider switching fairly pronto as they are already at 18” before I bent them over. I’ll give them a couple days to acclimatise and then give them the switch!

• Like 2

Flipped em 24hrs ago, opened the tent this evening and ‘fook me!’ if they haven’t added a good inch or two overnight. Is that typical so soon after flipping?

Tiny bit of tip burn on intermediate leaves, which has surprised me as they’ve only had one single feed so far, 2ml calmag, which is hardly overdoing it. Looking forward to seeing just how much they stretch now, have had to tie them all down again this evening.

large.3D7A893B-31DD-42C0-8558-C83BC5CC20FA.jpeg

• Like 3

Day 9 of flower, starting to see first signs of pre-flower. Am having fun learning the LST process, a couple of the plants (the bushier Kushtys) in particular are responding really well. It’s very rewarding to see former side branches turning into big thick stems. Got my first real sniff of lemon from the dizzles too, very nice indeed.

Am finding both strains to be relative light feeders, anyone else noticing the same?

large.CE3E22BA-34D8-4AA4-83A0-32E31BB5C752.jpeg

Edited by Reflektor
  • Like 4

Looking good mate :)

3 of mine were approx 13-14" tall when I flipped and finished off around 4.5ft.

The other was 17" and finished at 5.5ft.

I didn't do any LST as they were already pretty wide, but had to do some supercropping to stop them growing into my lights.

If you can, I'd think about some support netting once they've finished stretching.

I didn't bother but I'm at 8 weeks in now and quite alot of smaller branches are falling over with the weight of the buds.

I've been feeding upto 1.8EC with no issues :yep:

• Like 4