Billys Dina-bolt mini bubbler adventure

badbillybob

Nice one Bad BillyBob - very true what you say about hydro gear.... I once went all bells and whistles and bought a 60L tub with 12 pot holes, an elaborate drip feeding system on top to get them started before they hit the DWC water, and paid big bucks.... I only used 4 holes, and modified the hell out of it, and could have saved so much cash if I'd done it myself from scratch. 

I also know what you mean about the water... big girls do drink like fuck don't they!

Lugging up 30-40L a day to water them during bloom is a fuck of a lot of water..... 30L a day for 5 weeks is just over a tonne!

• Like 2

Aye they like a drink so they do, but its all worth it in the end. 

Talking about end, I think one of my purps#1's is nearing the end...….of its life.....im afraid.

Its just a shock to me to get a duff dinafem plant, cos ive never had one before, and have been growing their genetics for years. But this one has some sort of root growth malfunction, here see for yourself, the roots look like they have started to come out , then just stopped. large.6.jpg

Why? Nobody knows, its just nature. All the others, including the other #1 are doing great. Its kinda hard to see in the pic, but the rest of the plants have roots about 3 feet long, and this one just has a small section of roots like that and these little things here. 

oh well, I guess the balance of probabilities had to catch up with me eventually. I wont cry over it because , like I said, ive had loads of lovely lovely plants from dinafem before, and its just bad luck.

Heres the rest of them , now let me think, top left is green crack, top right is purps#1, middle is other small purps#1 pictured above, and bottom left is pre 98 big bud.

Im gonna have to flip these this weekend, so they havnt had long for a veg, and are on the peripheral for lighting, but they look ok and seem happy on 1.0 ec and 5.9 ph, so im just gonna leave them at that. I added some cal mag today, just 0.5 ml per liter.large.7.jpg

I think the 3 survivors will fill this tote anyway, so lets just look forward to some bloom growth, starting shortly after the flip on Sunday.

• Like 2

I pulled the poorly little  purps today, the little one.

I left the bigger one in there. . it would be swamped by the others come flip anyway, so better to just get rid of it now. (and I had 13 plants- im a bit supersticious like).

• Like 1

flipped these tonight. they are lights on 8.30pm till 8.30am now, will hopefully see a burst of growth from them.

they are pretty small plants compared to my usual ones, but im fairly sure they will surprise me with the amount of bud they produce, all going well.

They are drinking too I added 20 litres the other night, and accidentally over fed them at 1.4EC . Im just leaving it at that because they seem to like it. Ph was reset to 5.7, and will climb over the next few days, ive not checked it since.

No pics tonight, ill get some mid week, or when they start to stretch a bit. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2019 at 6:25 PM, badbillybob said:

I pulled the poorly little  purps today, the little one.

I left the bigger one in there. . it would be swamped by the others come flip anyway, so better to just get rid of it now. (and I had 13 plants- im a bit supersticious like).

I'm sorry about that mate. Its not something I tend to come across where the roots just stop growing. Is this something you've had occur before mate? As I know you do a lot of hydro ;)

I to dislike the number 13 and 1 plant would have been sacrificed in my hand. Why are we superstitious over a number lol

Let me know if this is something you've faced before my friend and if it was a genetic issue :yep:

The 12 remaining look good :) Let the show continue as we pay respect to the fallen Purps#1 :)

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

yes mate, she was a bit of an odd ball that one. ive not had this happen before Mark, but a the end of the day they are plants, not machines, and the only thing you can rely on with nature is to not rely on nature lol  I pulled the cube and plant out and checked the roots out.they all seemed to grow for about  3 inches, then like half of them just seemed to stop growing, the tips of the roots looked normal, no brown spots indicating any rot, and the other side just carried on growing, but the plant was clearly stunted. so she had to go. 

like I said, its just nature, im not complaining, ive done loads of dinafem genetics with zero issues, so its just the law of averages. probably just because it was number 13 lol

Anyway the others are all looking ok, im gonna get some pics up in the next day or two, just so I can see how much they stretch

im happy with the rest of the plants tho, they are all looking good so far. I might give them more air when my new 60l/min pump arrives.

stay tuned.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 2

heres a few pics for you both lol.

2 days into flip and they are looking good, Im really liking the survivor purps#1, it looks very healthy .large.8.jpg

the green crack is starting to like the sun now shes on 12 12/ and the leaves are praying for more, check it.

large.7.jpg

heres an ariel view. ar left is the pre 98 bb, centre is the green crack and right is the purps#1

large.9.jpg

the pre 98 is shooting out a few heads too, bring it on.  And last is a pic of the purps#1 survivor, just to show theres nothing wrong with her roots. 

large.6.jpg

large.1.jpg

mon the roots, till next time, stay safe.

• Like 4

5 days into flip and they are growing slowly due to the cold temps, around 23/24 degrees lights on 18 off. 

I added another airstone to the party last night so they should go a bit more. the purps is a bit shaded by the bigger plants behind, but looks a lovely specimen, if I say so myself.

2nd pic is the green crack third is top green crack, right purps#1 and left is big bud.large.4.jpglarge.5.jpglarge.3.jpg

• Like 5

On 28/01/2019 at 10:47 PM, badbillybob said:

the end of the day they are plants, not machines, and the only thing you can rely on with nature is to not rely on nature lol

Well said mate :yep:

Nature can be tricky at times. When things like this do happen it does peak my interest as it's a very isolated incident. More out of curiosity  :)

Your around 7 day's into bloom now and I suspect over the coming weeks they will double in height. Then the fun bud production can commence  :bong:

Could the root issue also be cold related? And that one plant just did not want to play ball?

Thanks for the update brother  ;)

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 2

heres todays pics for you. You can see the green cracks leaves are folding over and pointing down. this is because I over fed them last week. 

Its a bit fussy, the others took it in their stride. Ive dropped feed down to 1.1 ec, set ph to 5.8. and changed out the res last night.

This is my first grow in this tote, it holds around 50 litres of water below the net pots. 

I kinda wish I had just bought some biuckets and done them separately, but its too late now. 

They are growing at a good rate now and have doubled in size in the last week, im hoping the trend will continue and they will do the same next week. 

I moved the purps#1 outto the other side of the tote, as it was a bit shaded by the other plants, and replaced it with the big bud, which is bigger to start with. 

here you go, ive taken them out for a foto, first up green crack, 2nd is moby, 3rd is the lot of em. large_gc1.jpglarge_gg2.jpglarge_gg1.jpg

• Like 4

they are growing a bit now. we are 11 days into flip and all is well in the bubbler. 

the green crack is still sulking and turning her leaves down, why? I dunno, I thought it was from over feeding a week or so back, maybe its just a bit slow to recover. the purps#1 is looking great tho, altho a little behind the big bud and green crack. 

left to right is purps green crack then big bud.

large.7.jpglarge.6.jpglarge.5.jpg

the purps has been living in the shade of the pot of gold, but I had to move them over this side so they would get some light, the other plants in the groom are exploding with growth, it getting jungleish now. 

• Like 4

Things look to be going well in the bubbler buddy :yep:

The Green crack could have been a touch of overfeed early on which she now looks to be recovering from and Purps is looking in a much happier state ;)

Looking good from here my friend :bong:

All the best 

Mark..

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, yes they are starting to shoot out pistils now, so we are game on......

I will post some pics later in the week, they are growing a bit still.

• Like 1

Hello again bubbler fans, ive got another update, the purps #1 is getting consumed by the big bud and green crack they are taking off, and leaving poor ickle purpy behind. I don't care cos shes my favourite,the purps is.

large.6.jpg

A really easy plant to grow, bulletproof and just keeps coming back for more, even dropping a 16 inch fan on her had no effect . I did that to test her, ahem it wasn't cos I was baked off ma tits while stumbling around , oh no not at all.....

the others are doing ok as well. the green crack is still curling her leaves under, but I don't care, she is growing well, and I cant see any burnt tips on her, so I think she's just being "female"

large.5.jpg

you will have to excuse the crappy lighting, I took the pics thru my groom glasses, I missed the lights off time. 

Here they all are, doing well so far, but these net pots are too small they are a bit top heavy and have been doing a good impression of the leaning tower of pisa on me. . Big bully bud at front, crack at back and purpy on the left.

large.7.jpg

they took 10 litres tonight and are happy on 1.1ec and ph is at 6.1.

Will change the res out next Monday. 

Till then, take care.

• Like 3

hello again. not much to report, other than my own stupidity. 

I filled the res on Thursday, to just above the bottom of the net pots. on Friday thought, I better fill the res, and proceeded to pour 20 litres in there, at least 10 of which ended up on the floor, because it was almost full to start with . woops. it'll help raise the humidity I suppose ha ha.

ANyway the poor lil purps is getting engulfed by the big bully big bud and the big bushy green crack, here you go, I even balance on a bucket to get you an aerial view. I tell ya, the sacrifices I make for you lot.  Big bud at top green crack at bottom and purps to the right in the middle.

2nd pic is the green crack, and third is purpy#1. large.3.jpglarge.2.jpglarge.4.jpg

I havnt even checked the ec or ph since about Wednesday. but they look fine so far.  

• Like 3