My Sweecret laboratory. 5th Sweet Seeds competition grow diary 2018/19

jadenugs

Informative update @jadenugs fingers crossed the girls will flourish now they've been potted up, and hopefully the dose of epsom salts sorts the CCFV out, keep up the good work bud :yep:

• Like 5

Tidy update @jadenugs

I did not know these lighter fabric pots went straight in to the next pot! Seems like a nice, hassle free way to pot up! :yep: Good luck, mate, hope its all strong growth from here!

:v:

• Like 5

On 12/18/2018 at 11:32 PM, Openairbud said:

Loving it so far mate, lots of great detail and plants are looking ace. 

The sweet pure looks especially healthy, and I'll be borrowing the sand tray idea   for next time for sure. 

:skin_up:

Sorry mate, missed this post. Thanks mate.

I got the sand idea from watching a youtube vid on making heated propagation beds with heated cable and when I looked at the recesses in the bottom of my prop base I thought the sand would hold the heat better and distribute it better. Root temps were holding 23-24 in the bubble wrapped plastic pots but now they're in bigger fabric pots with the probe halfway down , they're holding at 19-21. A bit less efficient but that's down to the prop base only being about 45w. It's enough anyway and the sand holds the heat when the thermostat kicks in and shuts it off. Plus it's better for humidity than just bowls of water :)

@Slugums  Thanks mate, I'm hoping they work ok. They only do them in 1 and 2L sizes so they must be right for the job, we'll see :)

• Like 6

Thanks for the comments dudes and apologies for the late reply.

Well I made a big mistake of not feeding them when I potted up and only giving them seaweed solution to water in and that has resulted in me chasing deficiencies :doh:
I normally feed the rootball to keep them going until the roots have spread into the fresh compost and don't know why I never did that on this occasion. This mixing coco with compost isn't easy as some of you will know. If you have tried it and found it easy then I'm all ears lol

As mentioned earlier I've had good results doing this in my last grow, but the difference being they were started in 1.5L pots of compost so got off to an easier start feedwise before going into finals with coco mixed. And then I still had problems with Mg! Getting the watering right has been a bit of a problem too in these thin fabric propagation pots with coco mix but I'm on it now the roots have spread a bit.

I've got another week to try and get them on course for their next pot up. I calculated the volume of my 12L round fabric pots and they actually work out to be only 10.4L. Also I haven't got 6L intermediates. The ones I've got are 7.5L and are a little bit too big to go in the finals. So I'm now thinking of missing them out and going straight into the finals, because of the finals being smaller than they were sold to me as being. A good 3 or 4 weeks vegging in them should root them out ok I think. They'll be potted into straight compost either way, as I want these girls to be doing well before flowering if possible. They are growing ok but just a little lacking in the chlorophyll department :wassnnme:

So here's the details since the last pot up.
After their water in with seaweed solution they dried out real quick around the edges. I prepared another seaweed solution on day 16 and ended up putting 250ml through each of them before I got the outsides wet enough. The pots are quite thin and it just seemed to wash straight through the sides, even with slow careful watering. So I then wrapped the pots in bubble wrap to combat this for when the next watering was due. This shot the root temps up to 27C so I turned the prop base down to 9 on the dial, then to 8, then 7 and turned the panel wattage down a touch. I also gave them a foliar feed of 5ml/L Epsom salts as an Mg deficiency was already ripping through them.

Day 19
The next feed on day 19 was 100ml of 2ml/L Epsoms, 0.5ml/L Fishmix and 1ml/L Seaweed.

Temps range was 23-30, sitting at 29. Roots 22-25, sitting at 23C. RH 31-53, sitting at 31.

Day 20
Temps 21-27 (25)
Roots 23-24 (23)
RH    38-52 (44)

Foliar feed 5ml/L Epsom salts, 1ml/L Seaweed, 2ml/L Fishmix.
I added a cheap plug in fan speed controller to the intake fan going straight from my rad box to tent so that I could slow this and speed up my veg cab extractor to get more air through my veg cab and still maintain negative pressure in my flowering tent, if that makes sense. I'll show diagrams of my ventilation set up at a later date and all will be clear.

Pics at day 20

Group

large.5c23a3ab52f0c_groupday20ER.jpg

Crystal Candy FV

large.5c23a3b9b02e6_CCFVER.jpg

Cream 47

large.5c23a3c79b6cf_Cream47ER.jpg

Green Poison CBD

large.5c23a3d58ea03_GPcbdER.jpg

Sweet Pure CBD

large.5c23a3ed6f015_SPcbdER.jpg

Day 21
Temps 21-29 (27)
Roots 23-24 (23)
RH    31-53 (43)

100ml of 2.5ml/L Epsom salts, 1ml/L Seaweed, 1.5ml/L Fishmix.

Day 22 (Tues)
Temps 21-29 (26)
Roots 23-24 (23)
RH    30-57 (40)

50ml each of 1.25ml/L Epsom salts, 1ml/L Fishmix. They've been drinking 100ml every 2 days but I gave this 50ml as an extra so I won't have to feed them tonight as I'm having visitors and they would have been due a feed tonight. I'm hoping this will keep them going until tomorrow if I can't sneak up there tonight lol

Pics at day 22

Group

large.5c23a3fec336b_groupday22ER.jpg

Crystal Candy FV

large.5c23a40ceaed7_CCFVER.jpg

Cream 47

large.5c23a43aafce6_C47ER.jpg

Green Poison CBD

large.5c23a448942aa_GPcbdER.jpg

Sweet Pure CBD

large.5c23a456717ed_SPcbdER.jpg

As you can see I'm really battling to keep them green but also trying not to burn them. My thoughts are it's a combination of Mg deficiency which is also affecting the uptake of N so I'm trying to give them enough Epsom salts but not too much N. A pot up into straight compost when these pots are rooted should hopefully solve my problems.

Thanks for looking in and I'll be back to catch up with your diaries as soon as I can. I should have more time after tonight :)

All the best
Nugs :v:

• Like 5

Great pictures mate, I think a bigger pot could be very helpful to stop the deficiencies (or a higher EC)

I hope they can get better!

Sweet smokes! 

jaypp

• Like 4

@jadenugsIt’s unusual to see your plants looking like that dude, I think when you pot them into compost only they will be ok.

I know now you have got the skills to turn them around over the coming weeks with no worries. I have had plants look a lot worse than that that have done ok in the end.

Keep up the good work dude.

• Like 4

@Sweet Seeds -Jaypp

@Smokebelch

Cheers lads

they should be tickety boo in a week or two, all going well :)

I probably shouldn't have tried the coco/compost mix on this grow, knowing about the problems from last time, but it's all good experience.

I just need to get my flowering plants harvested then I can get these potted up and in the tent with more space.

I had thought about starting some more off and giving them a better start but it will be better for the diary if I can pull these around and get a good result.

Nugs aint a quitter lol Positive vibes dudes :yep:

• Like 6

Hopefully they'll pick up @jadenugs as new growth looks fine and dandy :yep:

And funny you mention about the fabric pots being slightly smaller than stated. I've not long potted up from 6.5L plastic to 12L fabric and there really wasn't that much difference in size, potting up was a bit of a pain in the arse, and messy! Depending on how my current grow goes, next time I'll either use smaller intermediates or bigger finals, so I think in your situation, I'd either buy new pots (which you probably don't want to do!) or go straight into finals like you mentioned and just give them a longer veg.

I'm sure they'll pull through though with whatever you decide to do :smokin:

• Like 4

@Serpent Thanks a lot mate :v:

Yeah I thought the sellers might be getting mixed up with UK gallons and US gallons. My 9L fabrics I normally use are labelled 2 gallon so that will be 4.5L UK gallons and work out right at 9L. There's no capacity label on my new 12's but I was thinking they might have been measured in US gallons. 3 US gallon would be 3.8 x 3 = 11.4. Mine work out at 10.4 when I do Pi x R2 so I dunno how they've come to 12L lol  Something to think about when ordering in future I think.

I've got some 3.5L pots but they're are narrow and tall so maybe no good for going into the 12's which aren't as tall as I expected. I might still have some old 3L round pots. If I can find them I could maybe do a root cut to get rid of some coco mix and pot into them for a week/10 days while they recover, then into the finals. Straight into the finals and vegging for longer is still on the cards though :yep:

all the best mate :bong:

• Like 4

Mine (Root Pouches) definitely said litres not gallons, but I was surprised how squat they were like yours as the 6.5L were just ever so slightly taller so a note to self for future grows.

Just an idea, maybe use the 3.5L pots, but don't fill them right to the top, maybe just an inch or two down, or to wherever you need?

• Like 5