Dinafem Roadrunner#2 autos

Carpcatcher

57 minutes ago, Moobman said:

Not to long left now id maybe consider a bit of pruning get that air flow going nicely looks a bit cramped 

Alright mate, when you say pruning are you talking about the other plants around them or are you talking about some of the bigger leaves on the roadrunners? I’m grateful for any tips as this is my first grow and if it lessens the risk of mould I’m all for a bit thinning out :yep:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carpcatcher said:

Alright mate, when you say pruning are you talking about the other plants around them or are you talking about some of the bigger leaves on the roadrunners? I’m grateful for any tips as this is my first grow and if it lessens the risk of mould I’m all for a bit thinning out :yep:

If you can create more air flow without touching the roadrunners then awesome if not take off a few of the largest fan leaves

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moobman said:

If you can create more air flow without touching the roadrunners then awesome if not take off a few of the largest fan leaves

I took your advice mate and after work today I’ve cut back the other plants behind the roadrunners giving them a lot more room. I think they definitely needed it, cheers 

• Like 2

Ended up chopping the smaller plant last night and have that hanging and might have to chop the bigger plant early because they are causing a right stink in this humid weather! It hit me right in the face when I opened the back door when I got in from work yesterday so all the neighbors must be able to smell it! Lesson learnt, don’t grow in the garden and find a good plot next year. The smaller plant was just about ready anyway but the bigger one looks a couple of weeks away! Gutted but I don’t want to push my luck! 

• Like 1

It’s a real shame I had to chop this 2nd roadrunner early today at day 79 as it was a really good size, a lot bigger than the other one and was packing weight on but was stinking and the smell was hanging in the air in this humid weather so had to come down, hopefully I’ll still get a buzz off it when it’s dried and cured. large.BB6DA6E6-431E-4B95-B162-E2BC978F8D7E.jpeg

• Like 4

Not had a good day, lost the whole crop to bud rot while drying, not enough airflow and too high humidity I think, last night not a sign of it and today covered in it! I couldn’t control the high heat where I was drying in this hot weather so hung the whole plants without the fan leaves hoping it would slow down the drying but it seems because I didn’t have a fan running the buds have stayed too damp and rot has set in! Learnt some big lessons this year. I’ve got plenty of time to plan for next year now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moobman said:

Fucking gutted for you mate wtf was you drying in ? 

In that shed that’s in the last pic, won’t be doing that again! I’ll dry in a grow tent with extraction and carbon filter in the house next time! I’ve just nearly cried putting all that weed in the compost bin. Can’t imagine how people feel when they lose big photo plants to it after growing them all summer, fine one day then covered the next!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carpcatcher said:

In that shed that’s in the last pic, won’t be doing that again! I’ll dry in a grow tent with extraction and carbon filter in the house next time! I’ve just nearly cried putting all that weed in the compost bin. Can’t imagine how people feel when they lose big photo plants to it after growing them all summer, fine one day then covered the next!

So sorry about this mate. All that hard work, you harvested healthy plants then the final drying stage things go wrong in a big way :(

You put in so much work to be rewarded with nothing but you do have this grow and the knowledge to draw on for next season.

Totally gutted for you mate :(

All the best 

Mark..

Edited by Dinafem-Mark
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dinafem-Mark said:

So sorry about this mate. All that hard work, you harvested healthy plants then the final drying stage things go wrong in a big way :(

You put in so much work to be rewarded with nothing but you do have this grow and the knowledge to draw on for next season.

Totally gutted for you mate :(

All the best 

Mark..

Thanks Mark, I’ll be a lot more prepared next year and will learn from my mistakes. 

The grow was easy, the roadrunners didn’t ask for much and grew well left to themselves, lack of prep by my in the drying stage ruined it, I should of had somewhere better to dry with ventilation and odor control

I might look at an indoor set up so I can get a crop later this year while I wait for next years outdoor season :yep:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the mould mate. That is odd. I have dried buds in the shed in the past month, with no mould at all. After a few days they are significantly drier and I can bring them in to finish drying for the last few days as the smell has reduced massively by then. It also slows down the drying by doing it in the shed, as they dry too quickly indoors I find.

The buds weren't wet when they went in the shed were they? That would be an issue. And there definitely wasn't mould already present in the batch, which could have spread?

I also break the buds up quite a bit into golf ball sized pieces and make sure they aren't touching each other in the shoebox I have them drying in. Which I keep in the shed. My buds were bone dry within a week, using this method. Now that it's wetter and more humid out, I don't like to have them in the shed for more than 2-3 days, checking for mould every day. But they are still continuing to dry well in these damper conditions, without mould. I only bring them indoors to dry if the weather turns (which it has), or during the last few days of drying, once the smell has reduced a great deal. I haven't had any mould yet on drying buds, and I still have some in the shed right now, so the fact you lost the lot is a bit baffling...? :g:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Sheriff of Nottingham said:

Sorry to hear about the mould mate. That is odd. I have dried buds in the shed in the past month, with no mould at all. After a few days they are significantly drier and I can bring them in to finish drying for the last few days as the smell has reduced massively by then. It also slows down the drying by doing it in the shed, as they dry too quickly indoors I find.

The buds weren't wet when they went in the shed were they? That would be an issue. And there definitely wasn't mould already present in the batch, which could have spread?

I also break the buds up quite a bit into golf ball sized pieces and make sure they aren't touching each other in the shoebox I have them drying in. Which I keep in the shed. My buds were bone dry within a week, using this method. Now that it's wetter and more humid out, I don't like to have them in the shed for more than 2-3 days, checking for mould every day. But they are still continuing to dry well in these damper conditions, without mould. I only bring them indoors to dry if the weather turns (which it has), or during the last few days of drying, once the smell has reduced a great deal. I haven't had any mould yet on drying buds, and I still have some in the shed right now, so the fact you lost the lot is a bit baffling...? :g:

No they weren’t wet mate and I found no mould before I hung them, interesting that you say they dry slower in your shed though, I was thinking they were gonna dry too quick which is why I hung the whole plants with only the fan leaves removed, maybe this is where I went wrong and should of broken them down into smaller branches and trimmed them, the bigger plant was quite dense with a lot of branches so may not have been drying much. Don’t think it helped that the shed is fully insulated and sealed (so tools don’t rust in winter) But that’s one of the reasons I used it because no odor leaked out. The smaller plant had been in there 5 days and the other 3 days

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carpcatcher said:

No they weren’t wet mate and I found no mould before I hung them, interesting that you say they dry slower in your shed though, I was thinking they were gonna dry too quick which is why I hung the whole plants with only the fan leaves removed, maybe this is where I went wrong and should of broken them down into smaller branches and trimmed them, the bigger plant was quite dense with a lot of branches so may not have been drying much. Don’t think it helped that the shed is fully insulated and sealed (so tools don’t rust in winter) But that’s one of the reasons I used it because no odor leaked out. The smaller plant had been in there 5 days and the other 3 days

That was almost certainly the issue, big, dense buds being hung upside down, on their branches still, when the weather is humid outside, and a shed isn't going to get constant airflow and a breeze either, especially your shed which you said is sealed to help protect tools. So I reckon they moulded from the centre, inside out. You can only get away with drying that way indoors, and in a grow tent/room with controlled humidity. Or in a shed when conditions are hot and dry (as they were in July). 

My tactic is to let the plant go as long as it can (but always chop if wet/humid weather is forecast) and then I immediately remove all fan leaves and trim off any other excess leaf matter. This helps with airflow and I also find it much easier to trim the buds when they are damp. If the weather is still hot and dry, I will dry the buds on the branches still, hanging up in the shed (July/August). And I never get mould this way. But if the weather is going to be wet and humid, I will break the buds up into smaller pieces to help them dry quicker and minimise mould risk. Even then they still dry fine in the shed during the summer months, even if it is wet or humid. As I said though, I prefer to bring them in after a few days once the smell has started subsiding. Again, sorry to hear about you losing that plant. 

• Like 2