Hello and welcome to my HSO outdoor diary. This will be my first HSO grow so I'm looking forward to it after a lot of stress trying to find a 2nd plot lol

Lost coast skunk auto.
Bubba cheese auto.

A big thanks to HSO-Mark and HSO for providing me with the beans :)

large.20180427_105212.jpg

One of each will be planted at two plots alongside some Dinafem autos.

This is what I'll be using for soil prep and feed. The organic moisture retainer will only be used at plot 2, along with some coco, as plot 2 is sandy well draining soil.

large.5aec62d684343_calcifiedseaweed.jpglarge.potash.jpglarge.15250956141313.jpglarge.5aec62cb83706_seaweedmeal.jpglarge.5aec62bf88091_moistureretainer.jpg

I'll be starting them off in soil association approved  organic seedling compost sometime soon. I'm waiting for some biodegradable nursery bags to arrive which I'll sit inside pots for support until plant out.

large.15252488403450.jpg

Plot 1
This is a plot I used last year and have done well with it in past years. The only trouble with it is people shooting nearby in late season, hence I'm only doing autos this year so they'll be harvested before the shooting season starts (hopefully lol)

Here's the plot on entering from my usual way in

large.5aec6313a6fc6_plot1.jpg

Holes dug and fed with:
Potash 40g
Bone meal 50g
Calcified seaweed meal 70g
Handful of chicken shit pellets.

large_fed.jpg

Feeds mixed in to about a spade's depth and covered over with moss for camouflage. 

large.recovered.jpg

Plot 2
I've been looking all winter for some plots. As some of you will know I had my plot 2 from last year ripped and lost a monster plant. Found a few potential plots but all had their downfalls or risks. This is the best I could come up with and it could possibly be left unvisited until close to harvest as it's awkward to get to without being seen. However, I'll do my best to get to it for some updates :yep:

5 and half hours to tunnel into brambles and open an area of 5 x 3.5m. A much larger area than I need for a few autos but if it's successful it's there for future use. The soil is very sandy and there's no water source nearby so for this reason I've added some seaweed that is meant to hold many times it's volume in water, and also some cheap coco blocks have been left to expand.

My entrance tunnel looking from inside the plot

large.15247342802331.jpg.jpg

The whole plot

large.15247342650420.jpg.jpg

Holes dug and fed with:
Potash 40g
Bone meal 70g
Calcified seaweed meal 70g
Organic moisture retainer 200g
Handful of chicken shit pellets.

large.20180430_142426.jpg

The feed was then mixed in to a spade's depth and a 10L coco block left by the hole to expand. They'll all get a feed of seaweed meal on plant out.

This being a new plot, I've dropped off some cages and canes. I just need to make up some copper collars to take at plant out along with some tie wraps for the cages. There's lots of pesky rabbit signs around here with it being Sandy.

I'll update when I pop the seeds.
Good luck to all gg'ers out there this season :yep:

• Like 9

I'm doing the Lost Coast Skunk auto too .. :yep:

Not the fastest of the pack, but the race is long .. 15 weeks I'd say, outdoors.

Good luck dude .. the best time of the year's about to start!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bud Wiser said:

Not the fastest of the pack, but the race is long .. 15 weeks I'd say, outdoors.

Good luck dude .. the best time of the year's about to start!

Be good to see how they do in different conditions dude. Oooh 15 weeks, I was hoping she'd be a bit quicker but what must be must be lol I think my Bubba kush went about 16 last year but was worth the wait.

Good luck with yours mate :yep:

@Jack010

Thanks dude and good luck with yours too ;) Blue skies :yahoo:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2 beautiful looking plots and 2 HSO autos that should perform very well in the UK climate outdoors  :yep:

Plot prep looks to have gone well and by the look of things both plots are well hidden, out of sight and produce well as we saw last season :bong:

Good luck this year brother. I'll be along for the ride and watching with interest  :headbang:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 7:01 PM, Bud Wiser said:

I agree my friend. Typically 25% longer outdoors for autoflowering finishing times. The Lost coast skunk auto is typically 10-11 weeks indoors so 14 weeks outdoors is realistic. 

Possibly a bit faster but your in the ball park mate :yep:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello all,
life has been full on for me for the past few months and my grow has suffered from the start.
Actually the grow isn't very good at all but I must honour the diary for the free seeds.

Major high temps in the my attic veg cab coupled with a shit choice in seedling compost messed things up from the start so here's the story so far. I don't have all the info about germination as I didn't take notes so it's from memory.

2 of each were put straight into compost instead of my usual paper towel method.
I had problems with the high temps, both in germination and afterwards when I lost the others due to drying out too quickly. Temps were very high and the compost set like concrete. So I got myself some root trainers and put some more in.

The others were germed in paper towels and went into clover mixed with perlite in the root trainers and did ok but with temps being so high, 32 at one point, they hadn't rooted out the trainers properly when they went out at 2 weeks old. I ended up with just the one Bubba cheese and 2 Lost coast skunk.

Next problem was getting them out of the root trainers without the root balls falling to bits. I opened them up, turned them over onto the ground and lifted the root trainers off, leaving them on the ground. Then I slid a trowel under each one in turn and placed in the holes still leaning against the trowel, filled in around and pulled the trowel out leaving the plants planted without too much stress to the roots and watered them in with some seaweed meal. The only feed they've had is this and what I prepped the holes with.

Here they are planted, caged and mulched on 15th June. Bubba cheese back left, LCS#1 back right and LCS#2 in front of it to the right. The other two are Dinafem.

large.5b6f2a65237a6_plot1groupR.jpg

Bubba cheese before caging

large.5b6f2aa271a72_plot1bcR.jpg

LCS#1 before caging

large.5b6f2ab26acf2_plot1lcs1R.jpg

LCS#2 before caging

large.5b6f2ac231394_plot1lcs2R.jpg

Here 2 weeks later on 29th June

large.5b6f2b5fa1ad7_groupR.jpg

Bubba cheese from the side and above

large.5b6f2bb1a6b76_BubbacheeseR.jpglarge.5b6f2e2616415_Bubbacheeseabove.jpg

LCS#1 from the side and above

large.5b6f2e5928518_Lostcoastskunk1R.jpglarge.5b6f2e6964e5a_Lostcoastskunk1aboveR.jpg

LCS#2 from the side and above. You can see the soil drying out and cracking already, I didn't mulch inside the cages for fear of slugs getting over my copper collars.

large.5b6f2e8c03b3d_Lostcoastskunk2R.jpglarge.5b6f2e9c20088_Lostcoastskunk2aboveR.jpg

And here's my little herb stalks a month later on 2nd August. Not much insect damage this year because the surrounding vegetation hasn't grown in around them. Shows what a bone dry summer can do lol At least my plants are doing better than the weeds and they've grown consistent with each other lol

large.5b6f2ee875c08_groupR.jpg

Bubba cheese

large.5b6f2f730e336_bubbacheeseR.jpglarge.5b6f2f84037db_bubbacheesecloserR.jpg

LCS#1

large.5b6f2fa403809_lostcoastskunk1R.jpglarge.5b6f2fb428c68_lostcoastskunk1closerR.jpg

LCS#2

large.5b6f2fd514c5b_lostcoastskunk2R.jpglarge.5b6f2fe4bfe99_lostcoastskunk2closerR.jpg

Not much of a grow but at least I'll get to try some HSO strains so all is not bad if they get to maturity without being ripped. Those who followed my Dinafem grow last season will know I had a plot ripped not too far away from this one.
I'll try and get out to them again next week and see how they're doing.
Thanks for looking at my little 'erb stalks.
Happy gardening :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update on my HSO girls.

Went up the plot on the 16th and they'd come along quite nicely in the 2 weeks since the last visit, so not too bad really after a terrible start. I took some organic potash mixed with seaweed meal to give them all a feed but I found a bit of rot on my Bubba cheese and on one of the Dinafems so I never fed those two and shared it between the Lost coast skunks and the other Dinafem, as I knew I'd have to chop those two soon. The rot was right on the top buds of both plants so I was a bit disappointed, but just cut the buds off and salvaged what I could for a taster. Been drying for just over a week so will try them soon :)

Here's the usual group shot, Bubba cheese back left, Lost coast skunk#1 back right and Lost coast skunk#2 in front of it to the right

large.group.jpg

Bubba cheese. This plant has the firmest buds out of all 5 plants at the plot but she's not the smelliest and I thought she would be. So there's a heads up for anyone wanting to grow it outdoors but worried about the smell. Could just be a mild smelling pheno though?
Shame about the budrot on her main top as she was a pretty looking girl and I was hoping for more from her with just having the one plant. All part of the game though innit and I should have been more attentive from the start lol

large.5b8055175b677_Bubbacheese(1).jpglarge.5b805526bae14_Bubbacheese(2).jpg

Lost coast skunk#1. Really came along nicely in the 2 weeks since the last update so I'm pleased about that :)

large.5b80555d1c735_LCS1(1).jpglarge.5b80556bead2b_LCS1(2).jpg

Lost coast skunk#2. Just like her sister, came along great in 2 weeks, nice dense cola and the smell is amazing. It's the sweetest skunk I can ever remember smelling :)

large.5b80557a40c47_LCS2(1).jpglarge.5b805588940c0_LCS2(2).jpg

So I top dressed the LCS's and decided to return in a week to chop the Bubba cheese, so went back up there on the 23rd.
The Bubba cheese didn't have any further rot but I thought she was ripe enough to chop and not risk losing my only one of that strain.

Group shot

large.5b805660cdbca_groupR.jpg

Bubba cheese in her cage and out of it just before chopping.

large.5b80575cb0326_Bubbacheese(1)R.jpglarge.5b805789bba18_BubbacheeseR.jpg

Bit closer and a bud close up

large.5b80579ac4b9d_Bubbacheese(2)R.jpglarge.5b8057a9ef0fc_Bubbacheese(4)R.jpg

Lost coast skunk#1. Nice dense looking cola, never felt to see how firm though.

large.5b8057f42f722_Lostcoastskunk1(1)R.jpglarge.5b805805d3895_Lostcoastskunk1(2)R.jpg

Lost coast skunk#2. Slightly different pheno to #1 and more ripe looking so I took her to make sure I get a taste, just in case the plot gets ripped lol Smells wonderful :) I left a few small buds on the bottom just to see if they fatten up any in the next week.

large.5b8058149bc45_Lostcoastskunk2(1)R.jpglarge.5b805823822d7_Lostcoastskunk2(2)R.jpg

That's it for the update, I'll probably go back next weekend to chop the remaining LCS if she's ready.
Thanks for looking and happy gardening :)

• Like 6

@beezee

@MacGanja

Thanks lads. Went up there yesterday to chop LCS#1.

Was still glistening in the sun with a few clear trichs but she was cooked enough and I was seeing the first signs of rot appearing on some preflower calyx so I chopped her.

90 days pre chop

large.5b892012ce3d3_Lostcoastskunk90days(1).jpg

Couple of closer pics of main cola

large.5b89203eccba7_Lostcoastskunk90days(2).jpglarge.5b8920629f615_Lostcoastskunk90days(3).jpg

Nice and healthy for the full 3 months from her initial feed so the feed I gave was good at least. I did give some more a couple of weeks ago but it will have hardly broken down by now.

Smoke report when dried and cured for a while.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 5

That's it, I'm defo getting some of them, excellent bud to leaf ratio and really good structure! 

Good choice nugs ;)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, beezee said:

That's it, I'm defo getting some of them, excellent bud to leaf ratio and really good structure! 

Good choice nugs ;)

Yeah I am sold... Good work jadenugs!  Some lovely buds there... :yep:

• Like 3

Well it looks like next season I'll be getting a lot of requests for our lost coast skunk auto :yep:

She looks perfectly suited for the UK climate, relatively mold resistant and a great bud to leaf ratio making trimming a breeze  ;)

Sorry about the bit of mold mate, as you know one pitfall of outdoor growing  ;)

Thanks for the plot update brother as expected from a @jadenugs grow things are looking on point :bong:

Until next time :bong:

Kind regards 

Mark..

• Like 1