Please help me with lighting set up

magik1953

Cheers mate .... very helpful info.

I am leaning towards the 150w hps because I don't think that I will be able to fit the QB and everything else into the tent. As I am doing this in my bedroom, space is tight and I can't really have much more than the current size of the tent. 

Going to start ordering soon ... I need to get my list all sorted so that I am ready to go once I am back from holidays. 

I am still undecided if I should go down photo route or auto. The auto is great because it will fill my jars quicker which is important however from the my reading it seems photos are a bit more forgiving and I'll get more yield which is great. Really like the idea of growing Champagne Kush from Seedism. Champagne Haze was one of my favourite strains from Amsterdam a few years back (Club Media and Utopia often had beautiful batches) which makes me think it would be an interesting first grow. 

I am also thinking about running:

Sweet Seeds Cream Caramel fem or auto Moham Ram Auto 

Dinafem - Bubba kush and OG Kush autos 

Ugorg - Disco Biscuits   Mephisto Genetics 

Mephisto Genetics - 24 Carat 

Would appreciate any direction and thoughts. 

I have had a look to see if I could find a 140cm/160cm tall tent but I couldn't find any. I also don't wont a shitty one off eBay, so will be going ahead with the 40x40x120. 

I am going to just accept the price of the SMS Controller and buy it and I am hoping its quality bit of kit and wont need replacing! The more I have read, I have now started to understand how important the environment so I want to get the equipment that will best help me achieve this. I also want the set up to last in the long run and not need replacing. 

Cheers all and have a good weekend. 

Magik

:smokin:

• Like 2

Height makes a massive difference to your options - as does area come to that.

Small tents like these are presumably intended for raising cuttings and very early veg.

I farted about for years with divided spaces with vegging compartments I eventually never used.

Years ago I went over to spur shelving so I can do the first six weeks at a comfortable working height.

Thereafter I have the full 8 feet / 2.4metres less a space for bottom heating.

• Like 1

Hi @magik1953 

If i might just add..

Going for HPS/mh in that space is best option imo mate. You would seriously struggle to get the maximum out of LEDs with that head height as a beginner. After a few grows and u learn to make a flat canopy the LeD might be an upgrade worth doing but for now u might aswell go hps and grow to the shade lol.

Just my 2p

JJ

• Like 1

@cultivateur Yeah I realise that my height isn't ideal but I hope that with a bit of training I'll be able to work it out and be self sufficient. It's definitely going to be a challenge though! 

@JamJar Thanks mate; I think that you are right and I will be going with HPS/mh. Its the safe option and the proven method so hoping that I will be able replicate their success. 

Now that I have got my lighting sorted I think I am ready to sort out what I actually need to buy. I want to run the set up before I start to try dial everything and see if I can control the temps. 

I am looking to begin middle march :)

Here is my list: 

Grow Lab tent 40x40x120 

150w mini-max hps/mh - Not sure if I will use the reflector or not. 

125mm KSA acoustic box fan

Rhino Pro 125mm x 300mm carbon filter 

SMS Hybrid 4'' Pot controller 

Clip on fan - not sure what size ? 

11L pots (please let me know if this is not the correct size) - will be doing scrog for photo and LST for auto. 

Thermometer / Humidity reader 

Biobizz mix soil - need to find out what I exactly need. 

Strapping for fans and lights 

Seeds

-------------------------

I don't quite understand how I should best set my up ventilation. 

Please can you let me know if I have missed anything .... I really want to make sure that I have a good environment set up and don't want to have to order things half way through the grow so any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Despite me reading shit loads I still find it really confusing!

Magik  

The ksa fan...if your going to be buying i suppose you should buy the best and get the temp and speed control version..ive found the 100ml ones for £96 which would be plenty for a tent this size.

• Like 1

Looks good bro but theres just one thing i can see pissing you off.. the clip on fan.. ive got 80x80 teant and it still winds me up and get in the way. 

Such a small groom could u not use pc fans? 

JJ

• Like 1

Hi mate 

Small spaces are tough you need to be on top of everything but it's possible to get good results from them once you get it dialed in. 

I'd suggest taking a look at @v12xjs 1 foot farm diary

If I were you I'd copy his set up he has less space than  you and manages to stay self sufficient with a rolling setup. 

Vert as suggested by @zztopbudz is also I viable option but with your foot print being sooo much smaller you will probably need to go through quite a lot of trial and error to figure out what works.

Best of luck with the grow mate

• Like 5

Thanks @stu sleeper 20vt

I will look into that :) 

I need to understand sizing requirements better! Want to make sure that I get the one that is right for the space and keeps the filter in good condition (correct me if I am wrong). 

@JamJar

Hey mate thanks for your help! 

I hadn't thought about PC fan but my thinking was that I would need the clip on because of the 150w HPS..... I think someone advised I should aim the fan at the bulb and not use the reflector. 

@NezA  Thanks for your input mate and appreciate the link to the mini grow journal :) 

Am going to give it a read now. 

I am trying to plan this grow as well as possible, ensuring that the environment is right so that I can keep on top of everything as you say. I am very excited for the challenge and it will be a great learning opportunity. 

I'm going to go down the scrog route photo  / lst for auto. I considered Vert growing but think I will do that once I get a better idea of whats going on :yinyang:

Magik 

• Like 1

@magik1953 hry mate yeah you will need some air movement in there idealy one aimed at the plants and one at the lamp as u say. Im just letting you know that clip on fans are not the easiest things to get into place, i thought it would clip on the side of the tent and have no issues but i still go back to using desk fan 

@JamJar Thanks mate will go with 2x clip on and find another solution if needs be. 

Does anybody have a recommendation on best place to get the light? 

Right .... some good news 

Found a way to upgrade my space to a 60x60 :) 

This should mean that controlling heat and environment should be easier to control now. 

Not sure if I will be able to fit two in there or if it will be best to go with one! 

Have a good weekend all 

Magik

Pretty concerned that I am going to struggle with the suggested set up so I think I am going to opt for a 60x60x160cm growlab tent. 

Has anyone used Growlab? Haven't seen anything written about them here. 

How much height will the carbon filter and fan take up do you guys think? I am trying to get a detailed picture of the set up. 

I am thinking of getting a 9L airport for one auto to begin with. Do you think that this will be a good size? this is about 27cm high

With LST training, how high would one expect an auto to grow? 

Found a secret jardin tent that is 170cm tall so thinking of going along with that.... will try my best to train the plant so that it doesn't get too big. 

Magik