Which kind of lighting unit do I choose?

GSZZ

Total PPFD: 445 µmols/m2/sec
Efficiency PPFD/Watt: 1.3 µmols/watt 

Thats really poor efficiency too. Philips lamps rated @ 1.9 umols/watt and the maxi lamp rated @ 2.0 umols/watt. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, samokybacon said:
  • Hi all, so i'm looking at this to replace my 600 HPS in a 1.2 tent, whats your thoughts?
  •  
  •  Seams like a good bit of kit if there sales info is to be believed and a resonable price given it comes "all in", delivered for £245.

https://www.migrolight.com/product/315w-ceramic-metal-halide-grow-light/

They look pretty similar to Lumii Solars which you can pick up for £180 each, I've a couple, really can't fault 'em.

One won't yeild as much as a 600w though. ;)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi

I am looking for advice on lighting for a space approx 2ft x 2ft, so about 4 plants.  I know very little about types on lighting.  I have just invested in a TL5 single tube to try in my bedroom for a couple of Autoflowers.  I believe this is OK for vegging only.  So what is my best bet to purchase for the budding?  I dont want something that produces heat as it will be in a wardrobe, or something that will consume lots of power.  So do you think I should get something just for budding and continue to use the TL5 for vegging or get one light that is capable of both stages?  Dont want to spend a frotune and as I say just cover 2ftx 2ft area and about 3ft in height.

Have a look at diyleduk, one of the 100w pucks would probably cover that space nicely.

Do you have extraction sorted? And a filter?

Both are infinitely more important than your light so if you don't have them yet, then get saving would be my advice.

Ta

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, thatman said:

Sorry if this sounds dumb, (still at the beginning of the learning curve) but, what is CMH lighting?

Ceramic Metal Halide :yep:

It's another variety of high intensity discharge lighting, similar to hps/mh.  But with a better light spectrum than the formers..

Hth :yinyang:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

Ceramic Metal Halide :yep:

It's another variety of high intensity discharge lighting, similar to hps/mh.  But with a better light spectrum than the formers..

Hth :yinyang:

cheers 

• 4 months later...

hi,

Im about to purchase a new rig, I have had a number of small space grows with an advanced platinum LED 150W in a 60x60, although still very much a student I'm ready to increase grow space. I'm looking at the spiderfarmer 4000 for a 120x120 space but before i hit 'add to basket' I wanted to run it by my peers :D

Has anyone here had any experience with a spiderfarmer light ? 

any advice or suggestions are welcome 

• 4 months later...

Hi there. I use spider farmer 4000 and I’ve been impressed with how it performs.  
it’s hits 2.7 micro moles per Joule which is the best I’ve seen apart from the marshydro 3000 which his 2.8.

They run on just over 400 watts... on average you will get 1.3 to 1.5 grams per watt. 
But of course it all depends on the grower and genetics to hit these results or higher..

I find it has a good canopy penetration so your popcorn ends up getting denser and finishing better...

it’s not as hot as a hps so it’s easy to control the environment.

Overall I think it’s worked well for me. And I’m happy with the end result,

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 07/08/2016 at 5:45 PM, GreenVision said:

@@Golden Syrup Your first line is 100% correct again mate. If you ignore Price then you must therefore ignore consumption too as you cant deduct the savings in consumption.

But electricity consumption isn't just about the price I pay for leccy, its the KW hours that get recorded too.. I didn't want to mention this on UK420 as any time we talk about negatives within growing detection its called scare mongering. But I recently had a phone call from my new energy supplier at the new Gaff. They wanted to get me on a better tarrif, but a few mins into the cal the chap asked for meter readings. Once all said and done he did a calculation then started asking some "Odd" questions.

I have always played the game like I don't give a shit about getting caught, but anything I can help to avoid it I will.. Its scared me enough to know I need to drop my wattage. If LED's can offer the same yield for 400w less then I have to say to myself that i just cant put a price on even the slightest bit of extra security..

Then there is these newer smart meters. We have already had the letter about it from them.

As I say mate, the decision isn't a straight forward one. Once I am in full veg I am running 3 600w or 4 400w MH bulbs for 18 hours a day!!.. Its literally sending my leccy meter AWOL.

Leds still use electricity cos you need decent pull watts from wall I use a Mars hydro 1600w and it still pulls 725w do not cheaper really just I feel plants lot more healthy with led but don't drop electricity cost for me you need decent leds to pull decent watts cheap Chinese ones not worth bothering with 

• 5 months later...

for having cultivated under Lec, CFL, hps and QB (I don't know Cob led) my best harvests have been under hps... It's raw formwork! things are getting hot! that makes noise! It's not heaven but all genetics "respond" well. Under nice Lec but harmful light for the long-term grower and I did not harvest more with a Lec 315 than a good 400w HPS.

And the LEDs I have 3 QB of 120w each has 2.7umol/J. Well I always prefer my 400w HPS (cool tube) than my 360w QB. 360w LED it works well, it does a nice job.

Clean, quiet, silent and high tech ;) I stay under Led for the "practical" side but I much prefer the results of the old HPS... I have 3 box under Led but I still have a 400w kit HPS in the drawer... just in case!? LOL!

HPS do the job and have for a long time. 400w HPS costs (here) 18eur / month in 12h/day. It's okay... It's still a reasonable sum.

Leds are beautiful, expensive and efficient. The HPS is average and noisy but does not disappoint ... Because some varieties react less well under Led.

like many light-conscious growers the Leds and Lecs are nice but the old HPS is far from dead... :yep:

Edited by greenled

• 6 months later...

Hopefully I'm asking in the right place? 

After years of being a led sceptic. I ditched the 315 's for a 630w thinkgrow model H & was not dissapointed

Looking to get another light with similar wall pull? 

Anything that competes with the model H... Bang for buck? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeanpoole said:

Hopefully I'm asking in the right place? 

Well you know you're after led so we don't need to go down the various kinds of lighting but as in which to choose next it's a difficult for most of us to recommend something. Like many people I've only owned one kind of of led so I can't really compare it to any other. Most people seem happy with whichever one they purchase, I've not really seen anyone say stay away from this brand or that brand.

I use a Hlg 650r and I bloody love it. It replaced a 400w and a 600w hid and it's absolutely spanking them in terms of yield and quality. If I were to buy another I'd buy something different, not because I'm unhappy with it but it's good to try new things. I like those Sanlites from Austria :wub:

Yes KC... fancied something different myself

You also made sense regards most have not had the luxury of this one that one... Or heaven forbid ... Sale or return (how great would that be) 

Ive  even got x3 replacement bars case the model H goes lame

Thanks for your advice/input 

Much appreciated 

• Like 1