Which kind of lighting unit do I choose?

GSZZ

@@Golden Syrup

That's the purpose mate, all about higher altitudes and the relation to psycho activity...some claim that due to being higher, UVB filtration is less through the atmosphere and thus the plant produces increased trichomes...it's interesting and something I'm looking into a little more :yep:

• Like 2

Ive found the Eye Hortilux Super HPS 1000 watt Horticulture bulb, with enhanced Blue, is all I need as far as an HID goes.

Ive used them fo both Veg/Flower ever since they came out. I use 1 in Veg, and 2 in the flowering room. Raptor 8 inch Hoods are used.

I also use the new Hortilux T5 PowerVeg + V Full Spectrum in Veg at a rate of a minimum 108 watts per 4 x 4. I use 162 watts. They also make Several different spectrums, but these work for me.

In flower I use the T5 ARCADIA Desert Reptile D3+ 12% UVA. This is the most powerful Reptile Bulb made and makes the Reptisun seem tame.

Also you must turn them off when working around them, or You Will/ either get Cataracts, or go Blind.

The Arcadia are especially powerful and will for sure quickly scorch your eyeballs. Use with caution.

On 12/12 Ive found 9.5 hours on is optimal.

I veg at 24 hours and turn the lights off 3 hours every 3 days to rest the HID ballast.

On a 24 hours cycle I will keep the UV lights on 19 hours.

The Arcadia Desert Bulb also has 30% UVB/12% UVA

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm an HPS guy but will look closely at the developing technologies.

I cannot compare my taste to that of anything else. Never used CMH but might invest in a unit or two when my HPS is on the way out.

I don't think it matters so much which light you choose, the truth is, if you grow cannabis with care then odds are whatever you grow will be way better than whatever is being sold on the streets or the imported chem weed or the shitty stemmy foreign weed.

I'm not sure if I'd want my weed to be stronger to be honest.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2016 at 4:08 PM, GreenVision said:

@@Golden Syrup There is nothing here I disagree with mate. The figures (as long as not given by some company trying it on) don't lie.

But as I have been reading quite a bit recently I have discovered that for me personally there is more to choosing a light than "Light"..

There are other factors involved in choosing a light. As one chap might say they want "Basic" HPS because they're great, give excellent results and cost a laughable 5% of LED units, the next chap might say the want less fire fire risk, or more distance from plant tops, less consumption..

What I ended up telling myself after weeks of numbers, youtube videos, emails etc etc is that if I could choose any of the setups I have to choose from for FREE which would I choose and why. Take the initial sting of purchase price out of the equation and go from there. I then wound up asking myself a different row of questions rather than the age old "Which is more powerful for my £££'s".

Once I started looking a different factors rather than Lumens, PAR & UMOLS I started to discover there is more to a light unit than I thought..

GV.

In stead of being rude on my topic, maybe you should ask yourself why possibly someone might have had to ask for light specific. Because I have an attention disorder and throwing a bunch of numbers at me doesn’t help me. I can’t focus on that so I asked if a light was ok. I didn’t know you couldn’t post products. 

But it thank you for your sensible solution I didn’t know why I didn’t think of it!

• Like 1

You'd already posted the same question 3 times, 2 in their own topic and 1 here. One of the topics you had posted actually had lots of great replies from members and you were actively engaged, which is why I closed your other thread and removed your post from this one because theres absolutely no point in having three threads with offsite links when you got your questions answered the first time you asked. 

• Like 1

Just read the entire thread, and a lot of it has flown over my head. I'm taking this to heart though:

"If we're home hobby growers who want efficiency in our lamps,full spectrum and still get good yields then the CMH is the way to go and maybe LED in the future if the price ever becomes more sensible, and obviously if we're wanting the best of both worlds then its obvious we've got to mix HPS with CMH/LED. ~ Golden Syrup

"If we're home hobby growers who want efficiency in our lamps, full spectrum and still get good yields then the CMH is the way to go" ~ Golden Syrup

"I am amazed. The taste is there. As strong as LED weed. I can't yet work out if the taste is more defined or not. But the "hit" feels stronger. That then leads on to a much, much stronger high." ~ SkyRider

So at the risk of sounding redundant, it looks like CMH is a good choice for lighting in a 1m x 1m grow tent with 3 maybe 4 plants?

Edited by SeaJay

Absolutely @SeaJay or some good LED panels, when I wrote that the units that were available weren't the most efficient, lacked the proper data or whatever else but it just goes to show and give credit to how quickly LED lighting is moving forward. HLG quantum boards or grow northern teslos if you don't want to do any DIY are good choices to look at. But a CMH is just as efficient/just a bit less efficient than the best LEDs available at the moment, offer a bit better spectral output IMO (due to the UVA/B) and alot cheaper - the choice is up to you, all lighting will grow weed! 

• Like 2

There  is other options to hlg in eu ranging from 50erous for ledladen.eu version or 80euro from Italy which is same as hlg use but different layout .. you just need to decide what to drive them at and choose which driver to use .. some need no cooling and some need heat sinks cooled which depends on how you drive them.   

Edited by Marthur Ix
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marthur Ix said:

There  is other options to hlg in eu ranging from 50erous for ledladen.eu version or 80euro from Italy which is same as hlg use but different layout .. you just need to decide what to drive them at and choose which driver to use .. some need no cooling and some need heat sinks cooled which depends on how you drive them.   

I think I'm going to stick with CMH for my first attempt. Probably 600w

16 hours ago, SeaJay said:

Just took a look at the price of LED boards, and, my eyes! my eyes! Wow they're pricey!

So are the cmh lights. The ones I found are more expensive then the leds I’m getting I’m going for higher power leds that are on a deal. What I like about amazon you get the occasional 100 pound off :D