Which kind of lighting unit do I choose?

GSZZ

8 minutes ago, Danbancro said:

So are the cmh lights. The ones I found are more expensive then the leds I’m getting I’m going for higher power leds that are on a deal. What I like about amazon you get the occasional 100 pound off :D

Are you sure? This is what I was looking at:

LED Boards: www.growandharvest.co.uk/product-category/grow-lights/grow-lights-kits/led-grow-lights-kits

CMH: www.growandharvest.co.uk/product-category/grow-lights/lamps/mh-lamps/

Edited by SeaJay

I've gone for a CMH from Grow and Harvest. Just the ballast, bulb and the convertor fitting. Cannot wait to see how it looks, likely going to use between two adjustable ballasts set on 400W for the final few weeks. Hopefully I can get another two 315W CMH to replace two 600W HPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i admit cfl are pretty weak, but i have seen such conflicting advice /view on whats better hps / cmh.

So confusing what on to choose !

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2018 at 4:54 PM, Golden Syrup said:

Absolutely @SeaJay or some good LED panels, when I wrote that the units that were available weren't the most efficient, lacked the proper data or whatever else but it just goes to show and give credit to how quickly LED lighting is moving forward. HLG quantum boards or grow northern teslos if you don't want to do any DIY are good choices to look at. But a CMH is just as efficient/just a bit less efficient than the best LEDs available at the moment, offer a bit better spectral output IMO (due to the UVA/B) and alot cheaper - the choice is up to you, all lighting will grow weed! 

Great article the best ive read by far!!Thanks for putting this together GS before I make a big mistake without being fully informed, have been waiting for such a long time for LEDs to develope. Still pricey!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What are your thoughts on either purchasing a 600w Omega dimmable HPS or a KINGBO 600/1000w LED (can't seem to find anywhere what the latest series is), both full spectrum. I need to fill a 80x80x160 tent with 1/2 plants in at a time and need some help, really want to get the right ighting first time around!

600 would be a bit big for a 80 by 80 tent imo. And I would steer well clear of omega ballasts, they are shite. I bought 4 and 3 were faulty. 

Lumii digitas are much better. you would do well with a 400w HPS or 315w CMH

I would either go with a lumii digita if you are using HPS  or a 315w cmh for your size of tent .

Im no fan of LED

if money doesn't come into it, CMH would be the better option

Edited by badbillybob

I certainly agree about Omega being crap. The first one bust within 3 weeks. Seller replaced it,and within 2 or 3 weeks that bust. Never again.

• Like 1

Maybe Google Zeus 308 kit they have the newer Samsung diodes comes with heat sink and is a modular design with a frame if you need.

• Like 3

@Arthur Mix They are good value, for what they are. But its nothing the Q series or Hinflux cant do cheaper. With better spread and the added datasheet/Ce/warranty ect.

I should do a stip light parts/build thread.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 0:43 PM, Dave 420 said:

2 75W Luminus CXM22 AUTO COB LED ON WAY;)

How will you use those? It's just the diodes right? You still need to drive them cool them, lenses etc. You have a plan?  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, samokybacon said:
  • Hi all, so i'm looking at this to replace my 600 HPS in a 1.2 tent, whats your thoughts?
  •  
  •  Seams like a good bit of kit if there sales info is to be believed and a resonable price given it comes "all in", delivered for £245.

https://www.migrolight.com/product/315w-ceramic-metal-halide-grow-light/

I was wondering when they were going to release their own version, it's interesting to see them stating that their using their own '3.3k Migro Agro' bulb. 

But I doubt it's actually their own bulb

Have a look at Diyleduk a site sponsor here ,much more efficient than that bulb tbh it looks just like a cheap oem unit branded migro .I doing a diary testing one of the Diyleduk units and quite impressed so far :oldtoker:

• Like 1