I need to destroy these thrips.

Guest Default Attribute

Guest Default Attribute

Been having thrip problems for a few month and now that I haven't got a proper grow on at the minute is probably the best time to wipe them out. I have 3 small bonsai mothers that the bastards are feasting on.

I have been treating them with pyrethrum 5ec but they just seem to come back a week or so later, am I not doing it often enough?

Does anyone have any ideas to get rid of them properly? Sick of seeing their trails all over the place. Not bothered on organic or not at this point since they are basically just cuttings at this stage and will be a few months before I take more cuts from them.

Thanks.

Duno mate that should eradicate them.

I use neem oil and my plants love it, thrips dont. Needs 2-3 applications and plant recovery is great, it has some npk value as well.

Get some as a great preventive, spray once a month at half a dose and you will never have mites again. Small price for peace in garden IMO.

Eyup Stevie

They're cunts aren't they? I've struggled on and off with Thrips for a while but finally sorted the fuckers out.

I was using a product called Provado from the garden centre, I noticed recently though only the concentrate says it will work on thrips now and not the RTU bottle like it used to, anyway that stuff worked really well but I noticed they kept coming back, starting from as long as 4/5 month and then it quickly progressed to a couple of weeks.

Then I tried some stuff like Dr Schimmels Thrip Killer which is dynamite you can hear the fuckers screaming, I did notice however some little thrip trails on some seed plants a few week after that I hadn't sprayed, so I gave them everything a dose of Provado again and then another dose of Schimels a few weeks after - alternating the bug killer has done the job for me, not seen them or any trace for a while now :)

• Like 7

Guest mrtibbs

Hello mate.

Another proven item is a product called Harkers Harka-Mectin.

I had them in veg and it took me a while to realise what they were so they really got a hold of my plants.

I did an untold amount of research and was brought to this product,

I diluted 1mm into 2 litres of water and covered as much of the plant as i could (leaves, stalks, but tried not to get it on the medium), and within 2 days the little fuckers were no where to be seen. As advised i applied another application for good measure 3 days later. Used a pressure spray bottle to apply.

Its been maybe 6 weeks now, i am now in flower, and no sign of any pests.

What attracted me to this item was that it would quickly disperse from the plant, or animal it was used on. Its made to get pests off of pigeons, but found out about it on either here or another that its great for thrips, and more importantly has no adverse effects to the plant.

Its quite cheap, and i can confirm it 100% works with no problems to plants.

Just run a few searches on the item and see what other people think, but it sure did work for me, and its the only thing i will use in the future.

Sounds like you are in veg, but i also get the impression that it could also be used in early to mid flower due to the way it works, but you might want to look into that yourself

Edited by mrtibbs

Dr schimmel thrip terminator did it for me in one spray. I noticed them in first week of bloom so sprayed that and they're done. They do need doing in dark/low light conditions though. I know folks aren't keen on pesticides, I'm not really but one spray so early in doesn't seem like a big deal to me unless going for an organic certification. I'd like to think any residuals are way out of the equation by the end.

Edited by Snowziff

If you growing in soil washed sharp sand on top of the soil and then spray with Provado. you have to break the breading cycle and they lay the eggs in the soil so by putting the sand on top they cant lay there eggs

thrips

ATB
  • Like 3

Guest Default Attribute

maybe pop some seeds and start again ? is this a option ?

I wish it was mate but one of the mothers is a smile and I wouldn't be able to replace her.

Still an option as a last resort but want to try everything first.

Thanks for the information @@mrtibbs I didn't realise harkers worked on thrips as well, I will grab a bottle of that and take a look at the Dr schimmel stuff.

Thanks everyone, some really helpful information here.

Guest mrtibbs

I wish it was mate but one of the mothers is a smile and I wouldn't be able to replace her.

Still an option as a last resort but want to try everything first.

Thanks for the information @@mrtibbs I didn't realise harkers worked on thrips as well, I will grab a bottle of that and take a look at the Dr schimmel stuff.

Thanks everyone, some really helpful information here.

Like i said do a little bit of research yourself........ I actually think there is a thread on here about it if i remember, but my research was way more extensive than just one forum.

Let us know how you get on mate, and Glad we could be of help.

Guest Default Attribute

I cant get anything until the end of next week now, but I have gave the pyrethrum another shot, i dunked the whole plant in the stuff and then used it as a root drench to kill anything in the soil. Going to repeat in 4 days.

Take fresh cuts from the mums and start again. Otherwise you run the risk of taking months to get rid of the little feckers. By taking fresh cuts you eliminate the soil for a while, u can keep humidity high, will give u a much better chance.

IMHO thrips are harder to get rid than the borg.

Good luck.

Guest mrtibbs

Take fresh cuts from the mums and start again. Otherwise you run the risk of taking months to get rid of the little feckers. By taking fresh cuts you eliminate the soil for a while, u can keep humidity high, will give u a much better chance.

IMHO thrips are harder to get rid than the borg.

Good luck.

I honestly cant stress how easy they were to get rid of for me, i really cant.

I honestly cant stress how easy they were to get rid of for me, i really cant.

Same here. One spray. Those little fuckers were going for it down there too.

Guest b33lz33bub

@@Herbal Kint

What sort of neem oil are you using, what dose and how often ? do you use it as a root drnech as well as spraying ?

I've got some oil which is meant for keeping oil off animals, it sets hard in the bottle and I have to warm it to make it runny. I've used it at very low doses but I'm wary of neem after scorching plants a few times. I usually spray lights off then rinse with