Starter set up?

vin p

On 31/08/2015 at 10:14 PM, stinkywinky said:

I would say the major considerations are, what tent you want, which then relates to what wattage of light you want and then what extraction you will need to keep it cool enough for your plants, im in 1.2/1,2/2m tent i use 6" fan with 8" filter using a 600w light. might need a heater because u dont want ur roots getting too cold. other things to consider are temp/hydro gauge, timers, contactor relay, possibly a controller for your fan for noise reduction (so you can turn it down) pots, medium, nutrients, light hangers! syringes.

Can you please explain why an 8inch filter with a 6 inch fan and not a 6 inch filter? 

7 hours ago, iGrow420710 said:

Can you please explain why an 8inch filter with a 6 inch fan and not a 6 inch filter? 

It makes it quieter, I think, more space for the air to pass through?

7 hours ago, iGrow420710 said:

Having a 8" filter with a 6" reducer and 6" extraction fan is how I have mine.

The oversized filter will cause less strain on your extraction fan,

Tenchie.

• Like 1

If you went with the same size fan and filter, a variable speed controller will also reduce the strain on your fan, with the added bonus of being able to tweak flow based on needs (humidity, temps etc), but still having that extra oomph for those heatwave days. I'd say most growers on here do that, myself included.

• 1 month later...

What are your thoughts on either purchasing a 600w Omega dimmable HPS or a KINGBO 600/1000w LED (can't seem to find anywhere what the latest series is), both full spectrum. I need to fill a 80x80x160 tent with 1/2 plants in at a time and need some help, really want to get the right ighting first time around! Is LED better for temp, would I need a 6inch vent/filter? Or bigger tent? 

600w hps is far too much for that space,it's better suited to a 1.2 x 1.2 space. But being dimmable you may get away with it. Avoid Omega,they are rubbish. I don't know anything about LED.