Under stair grow

Greenfinger53

Some parts arrived today which was nice, ordered in two lots so this was just three 6500k 50w LED COB's. I also have the heatsinks so was able tp mock up how I might put this together.

I might have to get a couple of longer rails if I want to mount all three, but seems like a good idea to mw at the moment.

Wired the coolers and 120mm pc fans ipt to a 12v power supply and they are all whisper quiet!

Could be super stealthy with these, the 120mm fans for moving air around inside the grow seem quite weak though.

Had to crop this immage a lot so its not great.

gallery_93878_11477_234251.jpg

gallery_93878_11477_200383.jpg

• Like 3

Not familiar with this but curious! Do you power the rails and then add the components to the rail? You have a good opportunity for a mini tutorial here...

No pressure

;)

The rails are just something i had hanging around from an old draw. Should be handy when it comes to hanging up the lights, plus if I drill the right size holes I should be able to use the normal fixing kit for these coolers.

There are two metal tabs at each side of the chip for the positive and negative wires. I'll try and show how it goes together when the rest arrives.

I have a total of:

3x 6500k 50w LED

3x 3000k 50w LED

3x 50w LED drivers (1500mA).

I am unsure if I can run two LEDs off one driver in parallel @750mA each. I think that would give me a much higher efficiency amd a wider spectrum of light

And there is one of the many issues of buying cheap Chinese components....

Waterproof power driver supply

100% Brand new and high quality bright LED bulb light

DC Forward Voltage(VF): DC 32~35V

DC Forward Current(IF): 50W 1500MA

Power: 50W

Color Temperature: Cool White(6000~6500K)

Luminous Flux: 50W 4500-5000LM

Beam Angle: 120-140

Lifespan: 50,000 hours

Stock NO. 498001-1,498002-1, 498003-1

20W 30W 50W Watt High Power LED Driver AC95V-240V 50-60Hz Waterproof

INPUT

AC 95-240V 50~60Hz

OUTPUT

DC 25-38V 1500mA 50W

NOTE:

This item is a constant current driver

Voltage applied to constant current output

Changes in constant output current depend on supply voltage

LED Lamp Chip Specification:

Light Color: Warm White 3000k-3200k Cool White 6000-6500k

Beam Angle: 120-140

LED Support Material:Al

Working Life: 50000h

2, Working input Voltage:DC; 20-100W: 20-36V DC

3, Suggest for LED Driver Using:

50W :1050mA is best working

4, LM and TC:

4600-4700LM For 50W

5, LED TYPE:
50W is 5 serial 10

Watte

Voltage

Current

Chip

LM

50W

32-35V

1500mA

Genesis's 30Mil

4500-5000

That's as much information as is available for them, and i don't think its anywhere near enough to make a decision. I'll likely just go with two 3000k either side and one 6500k in the middle and see how things go.

If they get me through a grow or two then i'll have more than enough time to buy something of higher quality / efficiency to match these drivers.

Edited by Greenfinger53

The rest of the parts have arrived so should be able to put it all together over the weekend, Need a few crimp's, thermal compound and borrow my father in laws tool shed for the pillar drill.

Oh and move my entire grow because i have the old gas check due very soon, better now than once i have it full of plants lol

gallery_93878_11477_73929.jpg

gallery_93878_11477_383989.jpg

gallery_93878_11477_343822.jpg

Edited by Greenfinger53
  • Like 1

LED's need a constant current source, we reduce the current to dim the lamp

Now I am in no way an expert with LED's and constant current drivers as I have basically no experience with them

the normal thing is to connect the lamps in series so that the current source is driven through both lamps and this obvioulsy halves the voltage so the lamps use half the power

So to answer the question can I paralell two lamps from one driver the answer is no, you could connect two lamps in series but you will only be able to get half power from each one so you need a separate driver for each lamp

Hope this helps

:yinyang:

• Like 2

gallery_93878_11477_465101.jpg

I've nothing to compare these too, but I'm happy so far. The drivers will be outside the grow to keep the high voltage ac out of the grow, I'll probably wish that I had the extra warmth from them but it feels safer.

Ran them for about half an hour could be a few days until they are in the grow. This one is ready to go, so maybe fit it tomorrow and add the others after.

• Like 2

Before going any further I need to warn you.....

Do not use anything abrasive on the kenwood mixer body...It's about as resilient as a £2 scratchcard...

I scored mine badly..

Sorry just wanted to pitch in there but know nothing of leds....

Looking good bud

:)

• Like 1

You can use a gas vent to cover intakes. with cooker hood material on inside for filter and even a small piece of black and white for maximum light leak reduction.

Lights on!

edit to add, no that's not the first bodged up groom on here. lol

Edited by Pots
  • Like 3

gallery_93878_11477_465101.jpg

I've nothing to compare these too, but I'm happy so far. The drivers will be outside the grow to keep the high voltage ac out of the grow, I'll probably wish that I had the extra warmth from them but it feels safer.

Ran them for about half an hour could be a few days until they are in the grow. This one is ready to go, so maybe fit it tomorrow and add the others after.

These look awesome! Fantastic work my friend :) Love seeing DIY builds.

So what have you got then 150w led? What is the main reason for choosing this? Heat issues and height problems?