Weight slang

cityslang

Just remembered some from the pre digital scale days.

A penny was an eighth as the coin weighs 3.5g

and a half pence was an accurate teenth... swapped a half pence for a quart once as the dealer had lost his last one

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Dealer = mert

A five pound draw

1/8 = penny

1/4 = farmer's

1/2 = Arthur Fowler

Ounce = 1er/Ozzy

Scales = James Whales

Skunk = Jazz Funk

Dope = Bob Hope

Block weed = mersh/monkey's bedding

Soap = gak

Moroccan = rocky

Red seal = golf ball/fisheye

Lebanese = leb

Boom stick = chillum

I used to phone up to arrange a meet and the one bloke would always ask "Hello, who is dis is?" He cracked me up every time he said it.

Another one was a notorious spoonhead, his Mom/girlfriend would let me in and you'd usually have to weigh out your deal and leave the cash on the side, whilst he nodded off mid sentence. Otherwise you'd be waiting around for hours and get offered a dig as well. Err cheers but no ta mate, I've got my mate waiting on me round the corner.

I went to NY and it was all nickels, dimes and quarters. The equivalent of our ha'penny, 1p or 2p.

Elsewhere you can get a stop, matchbox, bankie, parcel, an arm or even a sack of zol.

In Spain I just used to ask the amigos "Tien chocolat para mi, por favor?"

In France they called the soapbar Chernobyl, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/13/2015 at 0:16 AM, Boojum said:

A lid

Was a massive fan of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers as a teenager and they were always sending Fat Freddy out (mostly to to Ripoff Park) to score a lid of weed.

How much is a lid of weed ? :unsure:

Reviving this briefly, as I am reading this thread for fun.

I had a book years ago, which stated that the reference was to the amount of weed that would fit in the lid of a Prince Albert Tobacco can. These cans hold 14oz, so it seems plausible, being as the Freak Brothers were probably smoking bone dry seeded Mexican or Columbian mostly (I know they aren't real...)

I once met Gilbert Shelton at a book shop signing thing, somewhere in the south east, he was very gracious and signed a comic I had brought with me, complete with a little Fat Freddy's Cat coming out of a chimney. I still have it.

• Like 3

@woody2shoes I recently had the good fortune to meet Gilbert Shelton he is a lovely person.. Took him twenty mins to sign my three compendiums , bit of art he drew in each as well as signed .. Was a very memorable experience and we had a right laugh ..:oldtoker:

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

so instead of saying one word they say two.

kinda turns it on its head when saying the slang word(s) takes more time and effort .

were fucked up

On 15/10/2015 at 10:41 PM, distracted said:

and a half pence was an accurate teenth... swapped a half pence for a quart once as the dealer had lost his last one

im sure a 2p was a quarter too.?

On 11/01/2019 at 1:40 AM, twigs said:

im sure a 2p was a quarter too.?

A penny weighs an eighth, tuppence weighs a quarter.  I didn't know a halfpenny was a teenth, but it figures:hippy: