New DiY LED Build

Lean_McSheen

I think I'll stick around and take some notes. Thanks for sharing your build. The more unbiased and truthful reviews of modern leds I see the more I'm swayed towards building one myself. Can I ask how much you going to spend on this build? (if that's not too personal!)

Edited by K-B
  • Like 1

Think the cob's can be got for $46 max each,I did get a quote of nearer to $40 for bulk.The guy i got a quote from is tried and tested and gets the top bin cree.He is a helpful guy.

Being an LED Boy myself, I very much look forward to seeing how this project goes.

My LEDS are branded, and I have no idea how to make them myself, but hopefully you can make something decent.

Please make sure you do a grow diary and take lots of pics through all stages of build.

I am very excited by this

I'll be sure I'll do a step by step and show my grow with this. As it will be a whole new set up and i plan to try a few different techniques, i can't promise to show it's full potential.

Here we go can't wait to see this puppy complete and see the results during and after the 1st grow.

Was looking at the drivers your using this time, they really do look to be the dogs balls giving so much more control over the grow area.

All the best with this and be dam careful m8.

I can't wait either lol. I've selected everything for best efficiency. I've been in talks with Supra over on RIU to double check my calculations and get a little advice on safety so i should be good.

@@Lean_McSheen you prob know this but make sure you vent the solder fumes away from eyes and lungs,know a guy who has fucked his remaining good eye through soldering loads of components.

Thanks for the advice @@Arthur Mix i did know about this but it's always good to be reminded. Thanks for popping in.

I love what your doing mate, one day I might step into these waters

I googled the lamps but I couldn't find a data sheet

The only reason for me posting in here is to say don't bother grounding the heat sinks, that driver has an isolated output so an earth won't work because theres no return path

:yinyang:

@@Davey Jones I hope to see you swim when you do! The COBs are fresh out of Cree, released only weeks ago but there should be a data sheet about search for Cree CXB3590 datasheet, it should come up. I plan on running the ground in parallel from the plug straight to the heat sink, if a connection is made from the COBs live to the sink it should go straight to the mains? I'm no electrician though so maybe I'm wrong?

I'll try and get back to the rest later tonight, I'm at work at the moment so i don't have the time right now

@@Lean_McSheen
Im excited to see this build, the cxb look quite pricey £65ea on mouser uk :shock:

I have all the required parts for my light,i test one cob and driver last night,il be assembling the full light over the weekend.
Good luck with the new setup
:afro2:

• Like 1

K-B hold on to your hat it's not cheap, might shock ya...hehe

lol I can imagine it's the latter end of a grand. It would pay off in the long run though so it may be something worth saving for or doing in bits. I can really see these systems being common place in a couple of years when the price is better and more people venture into the led world. I'll be interested to hear the final figure for the build.

• Like 1

I think the only part i got was "i m making 2 panels" eheheh good luck. I like your views on led fair and no bias.

@@se7en lol, i know it can be a bit much at first, it took me 6-12 months to really get to grips with how these things work. Thanks for the luck and kind words!

I think I'll stick around and take some notes. Thanks for sharing your build. The more unbiased and truthful reviews of modern leds I see the more I'm swayed towards building one myself. Can I ask how much you going to spend on this build? (if that's not too personal!)

@@K-B Please do, i'll try and show everything with the reasoning behind it. This build is costing me a small fortune, i've not put all the figures together yet so i can't give you an exact number but i know it will be in the £1700 - £2000 range. The COBs alone cost me £1242.43 from Digikey and they have started to ask a bit more than i payed for them now. They didn't even have chance to stock them because they all sold before they received them. I think i took up most of the first batch. The £1242.43 figure was with shipping, VAT and import tax too btw. The 4 drivers cost me £234.77 delivered too. I was quote £234.16 for the heatsinks but i want to change them so i expect that price to come down to around £180ish. It's an expensive hobby :ouch:

Think the cob's can be got for $46 max each,I did get a quote of nearer to $40 for bulk.The guy i got a quote from is tried and tested and gets the top bin cree.He is a helpful guy.

I think you might be looking at the CXB3070 @@Arthur Mix

@@Lean_McSheen

Im excited to see this build, the cxb look quite pricey £65ea on mouser uk :shock:

I have all the required parts for my light,i test one cob and driver last night,il be assembling the full light over the weekend.

Good luck with the new setup

:afro2:

@@pastie Yeh, Mouser is quite expensive, i expect that's the reason they still have some in stock .

Take some pics of your build! :yep:

lol I can imagine it's the latter end of a grand. It would pay off in the long run though so it may be something worth saving for or doing in bits. I can really see these systems being common place in a couple of years when the price is better and more people venture into the led world. I'll be interested to hear the final figure for the build.

@@K-B The only problem with LEDs is the rate at which they advance, my last build was looking pretty good this time last year... it's looking pretty inefficient these days :geek:

Peace :oldtoker:

Edited by Lean_McSheen
  • Like 1

Great stuff! I'm keen on LEDs but in a CPF kinda way, building and modding flashlights and drivers - cant deny the technology and efficiency of these are moving faster and faster

Exiting times if your keen on LEDs for whatever purpose, not tried growing with them yet because I'm to lazy to go for a build and the off the shelf ones look like a joke.

very much looking forward to seeing this progress!

• Like 1

@LeanMcsheen sorry $46 you do use jerry don't you?

@@Arthur Mix Ah sorry my bad. No i didn't bother with Jerry from KB. The cost would have been pretty much the same but without the reputation, the knowledge of good customer service and ability to send them back. It has also been brought into light that KB aren't an authorized distributor of Cree products... There is a chance they are fakes, not saying they are, but the fact they are a Chinese company without the authorized go ahead from Cree makes me a little nervous i have to be honest. A lot of people have bought from them though, some were happy, some were not, I didn't want to take the chance.

Peace :oldtoker:

Wow I reckon this will be one of the best diy LEDs in the world. And I don't think that's an exaggeration. Wish I could shell out a couple of grand on new toys. I'll be interested in your heatsink source. Was it a Birmingham company?

I look forward to seeing it come together.

Ole

Edited by olesmokie
  • Like 1