any one using led lights newbie looking to give it a go

slapdog69

@Sanctuary Which is why some like me got an el cheapo to see what happens, which lead me to trying to get as low wattage and high efficiency as poss..When the 150w worked it was more intense than the 300w Chinese..I have no way of measuring this scientifically but it fecked my eyes up more than the Chinese one...

There is loads of lies and misinformation about led its like a mini gold rush.

Edited by zippi23

Hi @@thejunglist, I'm not here to bash LED's, but could you please produce some of this evidence you speak of? Can you show pictures of your 2x 90w LED's doing better than a 600w hps?. I'd like to see some evidence, if you could do that it would be appreciated. Cheers.

It would be good to see the prakasa pics if poss as they are one of the possibly cheapest imports going...90 watt draw including fans mmmm..If they were all matched top bin Bridelux cree maybe but prakasa is pretty much put in whats there kind of build...

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hi to all. Just wanted to chuck in my ten pennies worth here. I am running two prakasa ufo led lights at a 135w each along with a 400 watt HPS. On my first ever grow, I used only the LED's. The veg stage was fantastically quick and the plants were really healthy. I wilted them a few times (like fecking killed them mate! I did'nt think they'd survive as they were lying down on top of my amazon unit!). I think this affected my bud production quite dramatically but as a newbie I knew now't else so I never really gave them the time to repair and prepare themselves for flowering. The new ones I have started are 6 x Afghani Kush from clones and an auto blueberry from seed. They are all doing very well but......to be honest, I have'nt noticed a jot of difference in the veg stage by adding the HPS 400 into the mix. If anything, it seems to encourage my plants to become tall and spindly. I fixed this by moving the LED'S and the HPS around. I'll move them every couple of days so they all get the best of both worlds. Under the LED they seem to be content and don't do much upward growing just bush out sideways. As I said, when the plants get HPS instead, they seem to shoot skywards! No good to me in a 2m high tent! I use a blowheater on a thermostat which kicks in should the temps fall below 28 celsius. Thus I save nothing by using LED as I have to have the heater on. The 400 HPS has killed the need for the heater although it's still there, it never comes on as the light maintains the temps I need. Tis only my second grow proper and on my own but I really seem to have it down this time. I ain't wilted em once yet in 5 weeks!
I bought the LEDs as a trial. They were only £90 each on special offer and are seven band spectrum LED. You can spend double that on a decent 600w ballast (obviously a decent brand and digital), bulb and reflector so I think the LED wins hands down in my case. I am really trying hard to save for a 600w LED unit by Blackstar, Prakasa etc. I think I can abandon any need for HPS once i have managed to scrape the cash! No more bulb fuck, humming ballasts, and all the shite that comes with HPS. I have done a couple of large scale grows with a matey of mine and he is dead set against LED and I don't think he will ever convert. He was shown to grow by a couple of real old timers and they are the same.
I think the crap LED units on shitty auction sites at penny pinching prices has taken it's toll on the game. People have gone for the cheapest option available, even just to try it out, but it backfires with poor crops. It's the same as anything, you need to buy the best you can at the time. If it's cheap......it's normally pretty shite! You gotta put the pat in to get the best out. I have learned that lesson too many times buy purchasing crap bits for cars, motorbikes, household goods, hydro setups! I won't ever resort to using the shittest stuff money can buy again as it causes too much stress, grief and costs you triple in the end. The simple matter of fact here is the fact that LED does work. If you buy the right stuff, do your research, adjust your growing knowledge and apply it to LED growing, you will get the yields, taste and potency you desire...and the lights themselves are much more efficient penny for penny on the leccy bill. I know this for sure as I am on a card meter.
Think what you may. I don't sell LED'S, own a grow shop or just want a row about lighting! I know what works for me and what don't. I have that nasty 400 HPS in there at the minute because it was lying around in my house and I wanted more light in my setup and it cost me sod all. I also thought it would be a good experiment too. If I would have had the spare £500 for another LED (the one that I want), I would have bought that and had that in there by now.
Heres another one for you: Plasma lights. Anyone using them or know much about it?
Peace to all.
@@thejunglist is it 90w or 135w??
This was from a while back...
Edited by zippi23

He hasn't been growing long enough to have learned how to use a hps yet, never mind a LED :shutup:

Before anyone starts spouting about any bulb learn how to grow with both before you start comparing. The problem with most of these folk who spout these stupid claims is that they haven't mastered a hps therefor can't compare. Yes it may suit them better and they themselves yield better but thats it, and that says nothing

ETA....Zippi posted same time, my post is not aimed at you Zippi :)

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 6

Guest zypheruk

Each to their own, I use led, never used anything else, I know no different, it works for me but I ain't about to start laying out claims that's for sure. I have a good store bought 400watt led panel which is rather good for the money, but in all honesty I reckon I could pull the same amount from 2 x cree 3070's diy cobs at 100 watts from the wall. Time well tell.

Welcome to UK420 mate. I'm using one of those UFO LED's off eBay for a micro grow and it works quite well.. could do with some stronger LED's for any more than one good plant but a 150w LED would do you for a few in a small grow box.

Im a newbie growing uk exodus cheese in canna soil with guanokalong mix in powder with canna nutrients and am running 2 600 watt osram's I'm seeing these led hydroponic lights online and a friend of mine just got one Is it a good way to be moving forward ? as this is my first post on here I hope I don't sound like a retard

I'm only on my second crop . Used 400 watt hps ballast system but got very hot in wall press 3x3. Changed to LED lumenater 2x. Working a treat but a bit expensive 500. Harvest in 3 weeks, will let ya know how it goes!!

Edited by Abe Froman
to remove spam

• 2 weeks later...

He hasn't been growing long enough to have learned how to use a hps yet, never mind a LED :shutup:

Can you elaborate on exactly what you mean by learning to use a lamp?

It strikes me that the source of the light is irrelevant as far as the plant is concerned, I assumed a successful crop would be determined by the accuracy of control for temps and rh (assuming in this instance we ignore human error for feeding etc)

I found it quite easy to create a room with fairly consistent temps / air flow / lighting; I'm finding it much harder to get a good understanding of feeding and nutrient requirements for the plant.

B

badah the good old im not sure what im doin let me spend all that unnecessary moneys ive worked treble overtime for on something taking the game by storm.......

Withnailed what @@Owderb said peace

badah the good old im not sure what im doin let me spend all that unnecessary moneys ive worked treble overtime for on something taking the game by storm.......

Withnailed what @@Owderb said peace

Sorry mate, what point are you making? I don't understand you...

• Like 1

It strikes me that the source of the light is irrelevant as far as the plant is concerned, I assumed a successful crop would be determined by the accuracy of control for temps and rh (assuming in this instance we ignore human error for feeding etc)

the source of the light is very relevant, all lights are different, some more suited to growing cannabis than others.

the source of the light is very relevant, all lights are different, some more suited to growing cannabis than others.

Yes, but in our case the difference between spectral output of HID vs LED (certain LEDs; there not all created equal) is negligible and so we can ignore it. Hence, as far as the plant is concerned it makes no difference where the light energy comes from. I would say that this re inforces my point about the remainder of the conditions being more important.