Diy Light Baffle

Lucid

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Freddy I went by Lucid's diagrams, the pics wont show you much. Made mine sturdier using chipboard, got special 3 sided brackets from fleabay, painted black inside, white outside and used duct tape to seal joins. Duct tape will prob need replacing soon, maybe once a year to keep everything lightproof.

You'll have to adapt sizing and dimensions to suit the max flow of your fan.

I have a 10" ruck and my baffle is prob a bit too small but it was the biggest I could make it.

Many thanks to Lucid for the original design.

gallery_76429_6598_75466.jpg

gallery_76429_6598_25414.jpg

gallery_76429_6598_96885.jpg

From outside, just the hole on the bottom is visible. I used the door as one side of the baffle.

gallery_76429_6598_41694.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Just one question.   The only thing I associate with the word baffle, is the stuff that reduces sound when packed inside a motorcycles exhaust.       As for reducing light, I get that bending the hosing either using a right angle,  plastic, or just bend hose enough should prevent light ingress.   

But I had no idea of the intake area vs out were so different.      Is this why the ready made tents come with specific measurements?     On my 50x50x100mm black orchid, there is a large intake, bottom right,  large extract at top, plus largish extract upper left hand side, along with a small extract on left hand side.        What would a suggestion be for a fan to fit a 4" 100mm carbon filter to, as I already bought one.  I mean suggestions as to make of fan.   Seen a lot on fleabay and amazon,  some cheap, others expensive and some in the middle.    Black orchid do them, but saw some not so great reviews.       Any links or names would be helpful.        I've got some small pc fans, I can strip and rig to a phone charger, for air circ (got two 6" clippable dual speed desktop fans already) ,  and maybe get a bigger one for intake,  or should i go the whole hog, and get two grow room specific fans....  apologies again.   Last post here.  The rest will be in the specific forums.   Newbies have that title for a reason - assume "idiot" and be kind :)

2 minutes ago, pepe16 said:

Just one question.   The only thing I associate with the word baffle, is the stuff that reduces sound when packed inside a motorcycles exhaust.       As for reducing light, I get that bending the hosing either using a right angle,  plastic, or just bend hose enough should prevent light ingress.   

But I had no idea of the intake area vs out were so different.      Is this why the ready made tents come with specific measurements?     On my 50x50x100mm black orchid, there is a large intake, bottom right,  large extract at top, plus largish extract upper left hand side, along with a small extract on left hand side.        What would a suggestion be for a fan to fit a 4" 100mm carbon filter to, as I already bought one.  I mean suggestions as to make of fan.   Seen a lot on fleabay and amazon,  some cheap, others expensive and some in the middle.    Black orchid do them, but saw some not so great reviews.       Any links or names would be helpful.        I've got some small pc fans, I can strip and rig to a phone charger, for air circ (got two 6" clippable dual speed desktop fans already) ,  and maybe get a bigger one for intake,  or should i go the whole hog, and get two grow room specific fans....  apologies again.   Last post here.  The rest will be in the specific forums.   Newbies have that title for a reason - assume "idiot" and be kind :)

Don't skimp on the fan, the extraction is the most important part of your grow after the lights (and as far as not getting busted goes your fan and filter are THE most important bits). I can't suggest a make or model, I made the stupid mistake of buying a cheapo 'can fan', and I've regretted it ever since, fucking thing sounds like a jet plane taking off :doh: So I can't really offer any advice about what fan to get, other than to say your extraction fan is one of the most important bits of your grow setup, and don't waste your money on cheapo 'can fans' cos they're shite lol . Post the question as a new topic in the growroom design section or summat, someone should be along to give you some advice :) (it won't be links, though, that kinda thing is regarded as spam so it's a no-no).

@pepe16Here is my baffle - it is basically a U bend.  If I remember right the intke should be 4-5 times the area of the outtake.  I made the slots in the front and back this size, but as you can see I only had about 20cm to play with, so it should have been fatter.  You can also see that when installed then there is not much area to pull air from.  It all works fine though.  Hope this helps, its still prob hard to see.

Outer face:

large.mini_IMG_20181213_231040.jpg

Inside shot:

large.mini_IMG_20181213_230039.jpg

Inner face:

large.mini_IMG_20181213_230918.jpg

Inside:

large.mini_IMG_20181213_230016.jpg

large.mini_IMG_20181213_230059.jpglarge.mini_IMG_20181213_230211.jpg

• 1 year later...