Diy Light Baffle

Lucid

Hi folks,

This is a quick demonstration of how to knock up a basic light baffle to allow air intake into your growroom. Excuse the graphics, I did it in a hurry. I made this one out of thick cardboard but when I've got time I'm going to replicate it with wood.

A : First cut a rectangle out of the bottom of your door, leaving enough space either side to give strength to the door. The area of the rectangle should be approximately 5 X the area of your fan exhaust.

post-6738-1106601802.jpg

B : Add 3 rectangular sides in the positions shown to form the outlines of a box. The width 'X' should be twice the distsnce 'Z'. The length 'Y' is arbitrary but about 3 or 4 times 'X' should be sufficient. Because I used cardboard, I just connected everything with opaque sticky tape. On the wooden version I'll use them triangular connector thingys or maybe just screw/nail them together.

post-6738-1106602369.jpg

C : Complete the box by putting on a bottom panel. This would be a good time to start painting the inside with black matt paint. You can get a small tin for about a quid from the DIY shop. Remember to paint as you go along, because you can't do it once the box is assembled! :headbang:

post-6738-1106602385.jpg

D : Place the middle panel in the box and secure in place with some pins or small nails in the positions indicated by the arrows.Then seal around the edge with tape. The gap at the top should be the same size as the hole in the door.

post-6738-1106602405.jpg

E : Finally, connect the front panel as shown.

post-6738-1106602422.jpg

F : When complete, your extraction fan will draw air into the growroom in the manner shown by the arrows. lol

post-6738-1106602099.jpg

Hope this will be of some use to you,

Cheers,

- Lucid. lol

Edited by Lucid
  • Like 19

lol

nicely done m8

should help a few peeps out

excellent diagrams too, it's hard to tell people how a light baffle is put together

:yep:

:guitar::D

Cheers Lucid M8

Im just in the process of putting all the bits together for me growdrobe and this will be really helpful.

emdeema

• 2 months later...

Thanks Lucid - just completed a simular baffle only horizontal as the drobe base is raised 3" ie on legs and I've cut a 5 x extraction fan hole in it. This means my drobe space isn't compromised except in height which is another bridge to cross no doubt later :headpain:

• 1 month later...
Thanks Lucid - just completed a simular baffle only horizontal as the drobe base is raised 3" ie on legs and I've cut a 5 x extraction fan hole in it. This means my drobe space isn't compromised except in height which is another bridge to cross no doubt later    :puke:

336476[/snapback]

So, dyou mean the baffle is under the drobe? ie. on the floor?

Im just interested cos I have done something similar.

Nice one Lucid lol nicley done

• 1 year later...
Guest Blabblabberbab

Remember to Paint the inside matt black too :wassnnme: also a piece of black cooker hood filter on the outside (and the inside as well if your fan will take it) stops big nasties and dust getting as well as direct sunlight ;)

• 2 months later...

Thank you sir, I never understood how those things work until now. Thank you for that, very informative for a nub like myself. Great post. I give it a 10. :spliff:

Scuse my dopiness but with this system set up are you just using an extractor fan with no intake fan ? I>E the extractor fan expels air at the same time it is drawing air in through the baffle ? Where do you mount the extractor fan ?

• 4 weeks later...

i can answer that herbert, you can put the extractor anywhere, but air is best extracted from the top of the growbox because hot air rises and its generally hot air we would like to get rid of.

i made a similar baffle using that light proof sheeting stuck to a wood frame and it too works a treat.

top post lucid mate :guitar:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My maths seems to have gone down the pan since I left school all those years ago.

If I have a 4" 100CFM fan my baffle dimensions should be ...

7.93" y

2.27" x

1.13" z

Is that right?

If I'm going to have 2 passive intakes at the bottom of my cupboard should I half those dimensions ?

Edited by Spobart

• 4 weeks later...

very cool ur savin me more and thats what i like to hear :yahoo: likin the explanations i'd be completely lost without ur diagrams too